The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 26, 2016, 08:25 PM   #1
4D5

S&W 25-2 6-inch

Found this on a recent trip to the LGS. This has been my wish list for a while.
A couple years ago I found one just like it and I passed, hoping for a better deal at the time.
Big mistake!

The asking price was a little bit high, but I made a counter offer of $1050 and the deal was done.
I may have bought a little early but not by much for an unfired 6 inch M25-2.

No box/papers/tools.

Old May 27, 2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nice!

.45 Long Colt?

I passed up several 6" models over the years because my Model 25 Holy Grail was a 4" in .45 Long.

I finally found one nearly 6 years ago after over a decade of searching. I over paid for it... by the time shipping and everything was factored in, it was close to $1k, but damn it I wanted it, I had the money, and I wasn't letting it slip through my fingers.

Mine was also unfired with no drag line on the cylinder, but alas, no box, papers or tools either.

When it came into the local gunshop for me to pick up, the owner said he had to fend off salivating employees with a stick.

Are you going to load for it? I was going to hold off on that for awhile... I have a .41 Magnum and a .44 Special, so I'm used to obscene prices for bigbore ammo, but the .45 Long took it to a new, and exceptionally painful, level, so I got into loading for it quickly.

Lead bullets and Universal for about 900 fps. Quite thumpy, but accurate as all get out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 27, 2016, 06:09 AM   #3
steveno

a S & W M-25 2 would be 45 acp/45 autorim
Old May 27, 2016, 10:12 AM   #4
4D5

As stevno said, it's 45 ACP.

I also have a 4 inch 25-6 in LongColt

And I just recently picked up a 625-3 in ACP.

Old May 27, 2016, 02:27 PM   #5
dgludwig

Beautiful revolver, 4D5. It's amazing to me how much these guns are bringing today but if you compare the workmanship and finish of older, classic S&W and Colt revolvers with new ones, I think the originals are a bargain.
My Model 25-2 (paid $450.00 for it in 2005/no papers,tools or box either) has a 6 1/2" barrel and I still use it at Bullseye matches.
Old May 27, 2016, 02:28 PM   #6
FlyFish

Nice catch. You do see them, not often, for less - but not nearly in as nice condition. My 25-2 is probably the most accurate of the few dozen revolvers I own and would be a candidate for the last gun I part with if I ever need to start thinning the herd. I'm not a big fan of moon clips, so I load .45 Auto Rim for it.
Old May 30, 2016, 08:27 AM   #7
rodfac

I had one of the '76-'81 M25's with a 4" bbl. on it. (Don't recall if it was a -2 model or not.) Cylinder throats were .457"-.458" with a 0.452" groove dia. The best I could do with it were 3-4" gps at 25 yds from a rest, and leading with factory or handloads had to be seen to be believed. By the third cylinder full, the gun was lucky to hit 6 shots in to a 6" circle.

I was living in CT at the time and took it back up to Smith & Wesson in Springfield where they told me that those were the in-spec dimensions at that time, but the gunsmiths in the factory service center readily agreed that the cylinder throats needed to be considerably smaller to expect any of the accuracy that the company's revolvers were famous for.

I sold it off for just about what I had in it and never regretted the sale. I've been leery of Smith .45 Colts ever since but understand that eventually, Smith did a better job of matching cylinder throats with groove diameters.

Conversely, I have a 25-2 in .45 ACP, bought for the princely sum of $375 in 1988. It's been a wonderful shooter for all the intervening years with .45 ACP or Auto-Rim reloads. Jacketed or hand cast, it's a 1" to 1.5" grouper for me. I've killed two deer with at less than 25 yds from a stand & is arguably one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever fired. Throats and bore are within 0.0005" of each other. Most any load of moderate velociy will do < than 2".

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; May 30, 2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old June 5, 2016, 08:18 AM   #8
SaxonPig

The 45 ACP in such a heavy gun is about like shooting a cap pistol. I bought one a few years ago with a serial suggesting a 1980 manufacture date. S&W changed the 6.5" barrels for 6" in 1978 but mine still has the 6.5" tube so they must have been using up old parts from inventory on this slow selling model.
Old July 5, 2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Clark

I bought a 1972 S&W 25-2 on 9-26-2002 for $360 off a gun forum and had it shipped to a $30 FFL.

I have really enjoyed owning it.
I have settled in on using auto rim brass instead of moon or half moon clips with 45acp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W 25-2 1970.jpg (56.3 KB, 21 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?