The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 25, 2016, 11:12 PM   #1
jwise

New revolver - S&W 586

I'm not much of a revolver guy. Mostly I own Colt 1911s and Glocks. I keep it simple so I don't need a bunch of unique magazines or calibers of ammunition.

My dad has a Ruger GP100 and SP101 I grew up shooting some, but my experience is centered around a Taurus 617t I carried in a boot for years. Never shot it much.

Other than that one revolver, the others I own are shot even less.

Ruger Vaquero in .44mag

Colt model 1917
Colt Python (unfired)

The other day I was celebrating a huge professional win, and found myself in a local shop. In front of me under the glass was a 6 inch S&W 586. As I stated above, I have a Python (4" blued), but it is unfired and I can't bring myself to shoot it. I decided the 586 would be my shooter and bought it right then and there.

I have taken her out a few times already. She is a real joy to shoot. Even double-action hits are easy with this gem. I've mostly fired .38s out of her, which feel like .22s!

I really like this handgun!

Last edited by jwise; June 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old June 26, 2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

A thing of beauty! Between the full lug, the nice blueing and the classic square butt furniture I may have to say Im envious.
Old June 26, 2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

She's really nice.

But not too nice to shoot

Have fun.
Old June 26, 2016, 09:52 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

The most accurate out of the box revolver I ever owned is a 586 6"bbl. It rivals both Bill Davis custom guns I owned in the accuracy area. Better even than the 686s I have. You've got a great gun there.
Old June 27, 2016, 12:11 AM   #5
jwise

Thanks! It is amazingly easy to make double-action hits on small targets with this thing.
Old June 27, 2016, 08:39 AM   #6
g.willikers

Boy, for a guy who sez he's not much of a revolver guy, you sure have a nice accumulation of them.
Enjoy.
Old June 27, 2016, 07:08 PM   #7
jwise

You should see my 1911 collection and you'll understand. ;-)
Old July 30, 2016, 08:16 AM   #8
jwise

I've really enjoyed shooting my 586 over this last month or so. I have become bored with handgun shooting on a static range over the years, but the 586 has brought back the fun!

I find myself looking at other big revolvers under the glass! I'm thinking maybe a 27 4" for something different?
Old July 30, 2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Rogervzv

Great looking 586. I'll bet it is a great shooter!
Old July 30, 2016, 03:21 PM   #10
old bear

jwise, nice looking revolver. I assume it's one of the NEW classic series, 586's?

I had a 4" 586 no dash that was a great shooter. AS much as I really like my M-19's the 586 was much easier to shoot with Magnum ammo. Enjoy it.
Old July 30, 2016, 07:41 PM   #11
jwise

It is a 586-8.

Here she is with my unfired Python.

The bluing isn't quite as nice as the Colt, but she'll do.
Old July 30, 2016, 11:35 PM   #12
WVMountaineer

WOWZIER! Super nice. Congrats on them all. God Bless
Old July 31, 2016, 02:32 PM   #13
dgludwig

QUOTE: "Here she is with my unfired Python."

QUOTE: "I have a Python (4" blued), but it is unfired and I can't bring myself to shoot it."

It's your business, of course, but I have to ask why you won't shoot the Python? I've found them to be very accurate, to have splendid trigger pulls and a ball to shoot.
Very nice Model 586; one of my favorite revolvers for sure.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:33 PM   #14
jwise

Hmmmm... I guess I don't shoot it for a couple different reasons.

First, I bought it unfired, after it was discontinued. It's an extinct vintage, you could say, and I can never 'unring the bell' once it has been fired.

Second, the bluing is perfect. Once it is fired, the cylinder will forever be marred.

Third, It's not exactly an investment piece, but if things turned south it is worth more unfired.

Fourth, I'm saving it for something special. I have other guns to shoot on any 'ol day. If I'm going to forever alter this handgun and reduce its value considerably, the moment must be deserving. Perhaps I'll let my oldest son fire it for the first time, or something like that.

It's a special gun for another reason. I was a cop at Mesquite PD for a handful of years. The only officer ever killed in the line of duty was Ofc. Travis Williams. A 4" blued Colt Python was his duty gun. Maybe subconsciously I keep it unfired in honor of him.
Old August 1, 2016, 12:40 AM   #15
gbran

Many moons ago, I got the 617T, just when they came out. It was a joy to carry and I really liked the 7 rnd capacity, but...... it was a real wrist wrecker and the cyl was very ammo sensitive and would lock up due to crimp jumps.

I have a couple scandium Smiths that haven't seemed as ammo sensitive.
Old August 1, 2016, 01:11 PM   #16
dgludwig

Good answers all, jwise-but they sure are a ball to shoot...
Old August 3, 2016, 10:05 PM   #17
Stargater53

Quote:
First, I bought it unfired, after it was discontinued. It's an extinct vintage, you could say, and I can never 'unring the bell' once it has been fired.
It's like virginity. One gone, ring a bell!

Quote:
Second, the bluing is perfect. Once it is fired, the cylinder will forever be marred.
I recommend you have it Parkerized. I think it comes in green.

Quote:
Third, It's not exactly an investment piece, but if things turned south it is worth more unfired.
If you have a car, you can't always get a gun; but if you have a gun, you can always get a car!

Quote:
Fourth, I'm saving it for something special. I have other guns to shoot on any 'ol day. If I'm going to forever alter this handgun and reduce its value considerably, the moment must be deserving. Perhaps I'll let my oldest son fire it for the first time, or something like that.
When Trump wins, fire it then!

Seriously, you're right. Don't shoot it. That's a gun for looking at, not for shooting. The 586 is made for shooting, not for looking at. And the 586 is just as accurate as the Python. Additionally, the smallish hand/pawl on the Python tends to wear quickly, requiring frequent retiming. Some people with Pythons have their pawls hard chromed to greatly reduce wear.