The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
HALIFAX

I have come to a conclusion

I have concluded that remington brass is garbage. Remington Pistol brass is too loose to seat .45 caliber bullets and have proper neck tension to hold it in place. Now with that being said i have had very good luck with Remington rifle cases. 30-30 cases work without a hitch. Can anyone tell me why that is? I just find it weird.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's the design of the case. Been that way since the 1980's at least, which is when I first focused on .45 AUTO. I was using Lyman dies at the time and found Remington cases had the thinnest and hardest brass at the case mouth. After a couple of reloads it got so springy it was no longer sizing down enough to hold a bullet. At that point I stopped even picking Remington brass up at the range. Left it all for someone else to "enjoy" fussing with.

That said, if the carbide sizing ring in your sizing die was a little smaller, it would still make them work. I have not noticed Remington cases that sneak past me failing to work after sizing in Dillon dies, which tend to be a little snug. I don't know what the new Redding two-ring carbide dies would do with it either. You could call either one and ask, if you really want to use them. I'm concerned the mouths will split earlier than other brands because of the hardening issue.

I mainly use Starline bulk brass I buy new these days.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2012, 07:15 PM   #3
HALIFAX

Thats pretty much what it comes to now, just throwing them away. I use lee dies and havent had the chance to use any other brand yet. Though I doubt I will bother with Remington pistol brass anymore anyway. Ive just been buying the cheap herters in 45acp and keeping the brass. Seems to be working ok and its cheap too wich is always good.
Old November 28, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
iraiam

I'm not a fan of Remington pistol brass either, although I still use it for the .44 magnum without issue. I use Dillon dies in my 550b to reload them.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old November 28, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
zeke

am seperating and saving the rem 45 auto brass for target lead bullets. Lee sells a 45 undersize carbide die that works well for the 45 rem brass. It is an extra step and need a corresponding undersize case mouth expander. The rem 45 auto bras also seems shorter than others.

Strange enough, rem 9mm brass is thicker than some others.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Remington Pistol brass is too loose to seat .45 caliber bullets and have proper neck tension to hold it in place.

Did you size it?
Old November 28, 2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Yes he did resize it. That's the issue with it. Normal resizing dies don't make it small enough to hold a bullet after a couple of go arounds. It quickly gets too springy an springs back out to excessive width after going through the die.

I was unaware of the snug Lee die Zeke mentioned. Only that I hadn't seen the same problem in a Dillon 1050 a friend of mine has who reloads any and all mixed brass. I assume my own Dillon presses will work with it, too, but I gave up on that .45 Auto brass when I was still using Lyman dies on a Spartan turret press in the 80's, and haven't picked up or kept any since. So I don't actually know. I was loading cast lead bullets then, as now, and never got more than two or three reloads from it, despite those bullets being a thousandth wider than jacketed bullets are. They would just start falling in or be possible to push in easily with your finger.

I have only had this experience with Remington's .45 Auto brass. No problems with Remington rimmed pistol brass or with their rifle brass. It's just the design of this particular case that's problematic and they seem determined to keep using it.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:24 AM   #8
oldandslow

halifax, 11/29/12

I've run both new and multiple-fired RP pistol brass in 45acp, 9mm, 38 sp and 357 magnum through my Dillon Square Deal B without problem over the past eight years. I've also upgraded to a Dillon 650 and still have no problems with RP or other brass. I've got 85,000 rounds through the SDB and about 2000 through the 650, but of course not all of those are RP cases. I've used a mixture of bullets- JHP's from Remington, Speer and Taurus and FMJ's from Zero Bullets and lead casted bullets from AccurateMold molds. Maybe it's related to your resizing dies as others have mentioned. Hope it all works out well for you.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old November 29, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
slugcatcher

I have this problem with Federal 9mm brass (RCBS and Dillon dies used). Oddly I've never had the problem with my Rem .45ACP brass (RCBS, Dillon, and Lee dies used).
Old November 29, 2012, 01:41 PM   #10
tkglazie

Other than S&B, which I do scrap, R-P are my least favorite of the common headstamps. I use them, but they are the cases that I am most likely to leave behind. I will grab a box or two of R-P reloads if it is raining out or the range is busy and I dont want to bother collecting my brass that day.
Old November 29, 2012, 01:52 PM   #11
mikld

I'm asuming it is the same manufacture, but I've reloaded R-P brass in 45 ACP with none of the problems mentioned...
Old November 29, 2012, 02:32 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

If its this inconsistent, it may be they are close to the tolerance limits of the dies, meaning some will work while others don't.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:44 PM   #13
William T. Watts

I use R-P rifle brass, I no longer use their pistol nor their 30/30 brass, all other calibers are fine.. William
Old November 29, 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
HALIFAX

Thats what I have come to believe is that there are tolerance issues at the factory. None the less i dont use their pistol brass anymore. Thats weird that one of the above posts said they have issue with 30-30 rem cases as thats what i have most of for my 30-30 cases and they work great.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:01 PM   #15
William T. Watts

HALIFAX

R-P 30/30 brass is the lightest/thinnest brass of any of the ammunition manufactures that are available. I've had too many R-P case fail with one or two loadings, when you factor in prep time they aren't worth the effort. I prefer W-W or F-C for my 30/30.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 30, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:34 PM   #16
serf 'rett

Tarnation!

Why didn't someone tell me about R-P brass problems before I worked up so many load using the stuff.

This thread may explain why I have picked up more R-P brass at the range.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
bob kk

I've used Rem 45 APC brass for about 30 years. Never had any trouble with it. Load cast bullets that could be why I don't have trouble.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
wncchester

"Can anyone tell me why that is?"

Not me. I've been doing this stuff a very long time and I've never had any problems with any common brands of cases.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:36 AM   #19
rodfac

Never had a problem with any Remington brass...rifle or handgun...I use Lee, Lyman, and most recently Dillon dies in .45 acp and .45 LC. Sounds to me like you've got a sizing die or inside neck expander plug problem.

One way to check for an under sized neck expander is to try seating the bullet, after resizing only the outside dia. of the case. If it's a tight fit, then your neck expansion plug is at fault. Chucking the plug only in a drill press and using some wet or dry sandpaper on it will reduce it's dia. and still allow enough neck tension, while flaring the case mouth for easy bullet insertion.

The other obvious question is: what dia. are your bullets. If they're less than .451", you've answered your question.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:34 AM   #20
02bigdogs17

I have had this issue with R-P brass usually after about 4 times of loading them but it's only in .38special,357mag,and 45ACP for me. For the 45 ACP I have the best luck with Federal cases I get more loads out of them than anything else.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:37 AM   #21
buck460XVR

I load tons of .357s, .44s using Remington brass. Never had an issue and many of those cases have been reloaded 10-15 times. Like everything else related to reloading, what works well for one does not always work for another.

One reason you find so much of it layin' on the ground at the range is because it is what Wally-World sells in it's bulk pacs. Same goes for Winchester .45ACP brass and Federal with SP primers.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

Rod,

If it were the expander it wouldn't have worked the first twenty times he reloaded them. While those of us who've had trouble with Remington in specific calibers have been bellyaching about them causing trouble when other brands do not, the OP was talking about some old Winchester brass that had been reloaded many times previously.
Old December 2, 2012, 04:34 PM   #23
wncchester

"I have come to a conclusion --- I have concluded that remington brass is garbage."

Garbage? Interesting conclusion.
Old December 2, 2012, 06:12 PM   #24
sc928porsche

Anneal. Its not that difficult.
Old December 2, 2012, 06:47 PM   #25
rajbcpa

I did not know remington brass was suspect...