The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
KUHIO

Clays and 9mm

Well I've done quite a bit of forum searching, and read a wide range of opinions on Hogdon Clays (not Universal) for use in 9mm. But this past weekend I found a steal of a deal on an 8lb keg of Clays I couldn't pass up.

So I should point out that I'm reloading for plinking purposes exclusively. I made a visit to my local gun shop last week, and the clerk was anything but helpful. I'm new to reloading and I just wanted some pointers on what I need to keep a close eye on as far as using clays with 9mm. I plan to use 115gr fmj, for which I haven't been able to find much data, and I'm puzzled over what OAL to use. I'm going to start working the load up from 3.0gr. I just need something that cycles reliably, accuracy will not be paramount to these loads. I will pick up another powder for 'precision' loads.

Any info you guys can throw my way will help a lot. Thanks
Old December 15, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
RidgwayCO

Hodgdon has data for what you want.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf