The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 8, 2008, 12:29 PM   #26
sundance44s

I`ve got a few of both the 5 1/2 inch barrel model and the 8 inch ....They both shoot good ..When I hunt I uasually carry a 5 1/2 inch barrel one as a side arm , in case I need a finishing shot ........If I were to carry one to use as a hunting pistol I would carry the longer 8 inch model ..just beacuse the longer barrel will produce 75 fps more than the 5 1/2 with the same charge .
I say one is never going to be enough ...you should have both ..you will enjoy them ..buying just one is dang near as bad as trying to eat just one patato chip ...
Old September 8, 2008, 04:38 PM   #27
reddheadnla1974

What kind of reputation does ams have?

I am getting an ams revolver and I was wondering what kind of reputatin they had. It is a 44. remmy, with a brass frame. 1858.thanks
Old September 8, 2008, 04:48 PM   #28
mykeal

Do you mean Armi San Marco, or ASM?

Assuming the answer is yes, ASM was bought out by American Western Arms and ceased producing handguns in 2000. Their reputation was mediocre to good.

A brass framed Remington .44 is an attractive gun, but it must be treated well or it will not last. By that I mean your loads must be on the order of 20-25 gr by volume of real black powder or equivalent, or less. Overloading repeatedly will result in damage to the frame. For that reason, if the gun you are buying is a used gun, you must inspect the frame carefully for damage. The recoil shield may show indications of being hit by the cylinder in an abused gun.
Old September 8, 2008, 05:10 PM   #29
reddheadnla1974

It is an ASM brass frame.

It is actually the one that buzzard got from the pawn shop. I have heard alot of bad stuff about asm, and about brass frames. It looks to be a good one. Just a little nervous about it I suppose.
Old September 8, 2008, 06:11 PM   #30
Gaucho Gringo

Don't know how much you are paying for a used brass framed ASM 1858 Remington, but I personally would not pay over $75.00-90.00 for one. You can buy a new good steel framed one for about $220.00 from Cabelas, or wait for a used steel framed one to come along. My opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them
Old September 8, 2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Raider2000

I've got a Uberti Millenium '58 coming my way that I paid $160.00 for.
Old September 9, 2008, 12:35 AM   #32
Smokin_Gun

I know it's your Dad's Rev so hold on to it
I have a nice tight steel framed Colt 1851 /.44 Arms Port Inc.[AF] (1980) 7.5" bbl. $160 shipped. I have 5 0r so Brass framed '51's .36 & .44 and a '60 with Navy grip $110-$135-$160 shipped, all in good shape.
PM or email, find me on:
http://Voy.com/60048/

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old September 9, 2008, 02:56 AM   #33
zippy13

Let's not forget the hyphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider2000
NSSA "North-South Skirmish Association" don't think are associated...
Not so fast... you're getting some folks confused.
Let's cross our tees and dot our eyes. Since they are so close, it's easy to mess up.
NSSA is the National Skeet Shooting Association, Founded in 1928
N-SSA is the North-South Skirmish Association, Formed in 1850
Old September 9, 2008, 06:00 AM   #34
sundance44s

North South 1850 ?
Old September 9, 2008, 06:35 AM   #35
Raider2000

Yeah

Trying to correct my little mistake & still got it slightly wrong but hey it's all in good fun anyways..
Old September 26, 2008, 11:17 AM   #36
60's Refugee

I have to take some small offense at the earlier remarks made by some posts on this thread. North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA) people do not look down upon Civ War reenactors, how dare you imply this, Sir!. In fact, most who do N-SSA are themselves members of a Civ War groups that attend and even sponsor Civ War reenactments. I still shoot N-SSA and wear the same uniform at the shoots as I do at the shows. It's a blast (no pun intended) and is one of, if not the oldest theme shooting competition in the US today. Just take a minute and get on line and look up N-SSA and watch the video. You will be impressed.

As far as looking "ridiculously dressed", you are again wrong. Just watch "Gods and Generals" or Gettysburg". The thousands of extras playing the common soldiers are mostly Civ War reenactors. None of them look ridiculous. Many of them participate in N-SSA shoots too. Period dress and uniforms will vary according to the unit's time frame. There were times historically when a Confederate unit would be as well uniformed as the North, depending on the last visit to a supply depot. Union units were usually splendidly outfitted. Civil War facial hair might be an exception, but so many young folks wear 'stach's and "soul patches" these days that we who wear civil war whiskers hardly stand out any more. I do Confederate artillery and my closet has everything from rags to dress frocks hanging in it. I don't consider any of it ridiculous. Units regulate the dress of their members and believe me, if I'm not supposed to carry a pistol as an infantryman, then I don't. The CO wouldn't allow it even if I was inclined to do so.

And don't presume the public spectator thinks we look ridiculous either. It's actually quite the opposite. Most are impressed, some enthralled by how we look in uniform. The girls love it, and the guys want to join up!

Now, what N-SSA WILL say is that it is not a reenactor organisation. That is true. It never was and never was intended to be. However, unlike the Rev War guys who have several large national organisations (BAR, NWTA, for example), the Civ War guys have only a few small groups and mostly are organized only at the individual unit level. That's in spite of the fact that there are tens of thousands of Civ War reenactors and only hundreds of Rev War reenactors. Still, Civ War guys still maintain a high level of historical accuracy and safety. Civ War guys today enjoy having the internet to provide links to other Civ War units. Before that, whether N-SSA intended it or not, the N-SSA became a sort of "clearing house" for civ war units. It was one way to find out where the other units were. Back in the 70's it was hard, if not impossible to put together any complete list of CW units to invite to the big shows. Mostly we heard about the shows and registered for them as seperate units. Regardless, many folks think N-SSA is the parent organisation for Civ War (like the BAR is to Rev War units) and it just ain't so. I remember back at the 1985 Gettysburg reenactment (I was an Artillery Safety Inspector at that show) I went to all the artillery units attending and got their mailing address so I would have a list. I also did that at several N-SSA matchs. N-SSA in that regard was a way to organize mailing lists for shows.

Just because some of you seem to think living history reenactors are funny, consider that some of them think you cowboy shooters and buckskinners are funny too. This forum should not be a place to vent these opinions, but to praise these people who, without their interests, we would find many fewer reproduction fire arms available today. Indeed, the repro Charleville musket only came into production after extensive pressure by Rev War groups. Before that all American units had to settle for the Brown Bess.

N-SSA was and still is vital to Civ War living history interests, whether all or none of the participants ever do a local show on the fourth of July or not. The N-SSA knows that, because most of them ARE reenactors. I was a reenactor for two years before I my unit did it's first N-SSA shoot. We were welcomed to join, even though we were reenactors.

So...don't presume for even a moment that N-SSA members regard living history reenactors as "ignorant species of sub human" Maybe one or two of 'em do, but not the majority, and none that I have ever met. Your statement ain't true, and to say so is to dis honor both groups, as well as the hundreds of Civ War guys who belong to this forum.

Harry

Last edited by 60's Refugee; September 26, 2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 26, 2008, 06:24 PM   #37
Smokin_Gun

What can you reply to that but well Done!

Sign me back up with a Grey Hat, and jacket with yellow piping and a Grey Steed ...and a Pair of Cav. Boots and I'm yours

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old September 26, 2008, 07:33 PM   #38
grymster2007

Back on topic.

Never owned a long barrel, but have shot them. The long ones produced no accuracy change in my less-than-expert hands, but the 5 1/2" feels more balanced and I prefer the looks also.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:17 PM   #39
60's Refugee

Yeah, on topic!

Because the shorter barrel is better balanced it is easier to aim, but the longer barrel is more accurate, so, I think it is about equal eather way, depending on the shooter. Buy the one you like, my friend! You will like either one!

Harry
Old September 26, 2008, 08:34 PM   #40
grymster2007

Quote:
depending on the shooter.
Therein lies the key phrase! Extra 2 1/2" inches (on a revolver anyway) doesn't seem to help me a whole bunch, so I'm down to looks and balance.
Old September 26, 2008, 10:13 PM   #41
Raider2000

Well I tell ya, all the fine tuning that I've done to my lil Pietta '58, range & holster time it has had this past year has given mine a nice worn look to it "cold bluing isn't the greatest" but to me it was well worth it.

but like you said 60's Refugee, it's all in the shooter & how it fits ya will best determine which will shoot it's best for ya.