The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Rald

help with mount/rings for savage 223

I am looking for suggestions on buying low mount/rings that will fit the Savage Arms 11 FHNS 223. I recently received a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope. Most shooting is around 50-100yds, but I'd like to practice at at longer distances. Any advantage to bringing a specific mount and rings to the gun shop or should I go with whatever is recommended at the shop? I have never had a scope so I am thinking I should have it professionally installed.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Carne Frio

Welcome ! Given your level of experience,
go with what the gunsmith recommends.
Old November 13, 2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Pahoo

I too am at this decision point but my rifle is not here yet. On something like this, I'd step up to a Leupold or Redfield. I like the choice of your scope better than what I'm putting on mine. Anyway, I can always change later. You rifle should come with a two piece Weaver base which is pretty basic and a good set of 1" rings is in order, Like the Burris Z-rings. You and I have many choices here. Stay away from the Weaver rings that have two screws on one side. .... :barf:

Be Safe !!!
Old November 13, 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
tacticalj

get a 1pc base, such as EGW 0moa or 20moa, depending on how long of range your calling "longer". For the 50-100yd a 0moa will work fine and depending on what kind of adjustment range your scope has, it may or may not get you out into the 600yd "maximum" range for a 223. Rings, Burris makes good rings. I have found that Weaver's tactical line have worked and held up very well. EGW also makes rings that are decently priced per set. EGW=Evolution Gun Works. Base=$40, Rings=as much as you want to spend. Weavers=about $25 from opticsplanet.com. You can also buy the base there and get free shipping. Thats just what I'd do. However, it may be easier to take it to your smith and say "here fix it". Goodluck