The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 22, 2001, 09:03 PM   #1
pocketman

stevens bolt action 12 guage

Anyone know of these?
It is listed as a "pre1968 model" at the shop, Its very clean inside the bore and out, Its a bolt action 12 guage with a adjustable choke.
It also has a box magazine that looks to hold 4-5 shells.
Price is $100.00. I'm thinking of picking it up and using as a HomeDefense / coyote deterent piece.
Old November 23, 2001, 06:07 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Pocketman:
I owned one of these some years back. Being able to hunt deer only with a shotgun I made mine up with a scope and use it as a rifle. Using Braneki (sp) slugs it was an excellant "rifle." the price seems, to me, is overrated, and about $50.00 to $75.00 would be more fair to me.. Good gun.

HJN
Old November 23, 2001, 07:58 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bolt action shotguns are rather slow on repeat shots unless you know the SMLE style drill, and even then slower than other kinds of repeaters.

That aside, it's a reliable if unpopular utility grade shotgun good for generations of light use.

Harley's right as usual. These do make good slug guns, and all the tricks that enhance the accuracy of bolt action rifles like trigger tweaking and glass bedding work here also. Should work well on 'yotes with proper ammo.

As for HD, not ideal, but the First Rule of Gunfighting is still,"Have a gun"...

Oh, yeah, most of these have a 2 shot mag, the size is deceptive...
Old November 23, 2001, 05:28 PM   #4
johnbt

When I was a kid used to regularly borrow my uncle's .410 version and liked it a lot.

The Model 58-AC(with Savage adustable choke) was $51.50 new according to the 1963 Shooter's Bible.

John