The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2001, 08:19 AM   #1
j-heart

Shotgun FAQ?

I am looking to learn about shotguns. I know next to nothing about them. Any good books or FAQ's to start me off?
Old November 21, 2001, 09:37 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, your local library has books on guns, including shotguns, under Dewey Decimal Sytem #799.

Second, the Archives here have loads of good info for those that will take the time to look.

Third, Shotgun Report has an Archive for some rather esoteric shotgun questions,as well as good stuff about loads,chokes, gun,etc...

HTH...
Old November 21, 2001, 11:27 AM   #3
BigG

"Shotguns by Keith" is a good, albeit dated resource. This goes into the doubles more than the repeaters because it was written by Elmer Keith just after WWII as I recall.

Read more here: http://www.epinions.com/book-review-...3A048247-prod3
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 21, 2001, 03:34 PM   #4
Rob62

j-heart,

I posted the Remington guide to shotguns here on Sept 4th, if I remember correctly. It is lengthy and therefore in 4 seperate posts. LOTS of good info there to get you started. Here is the link for part 1.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=79616

Hope this helps,
Rob
Old November 21, 2001, 07:02 PM   #5
Charles E. Neal

'Lo J-heart,

Get a copy of "Shotgunning: The Art and Science" by Bob Brister.

It is the most comprehensive book you'll find --- it may be hard to lay it down. If you can find one at the library, do so; but, if you buy one it will be money well spent.

Keep green and growing, Charlie
Old November 21, 2001, 07:18 PM   #6
K80Geoff

I second Bristers book "Shotgunning the Art and the Science" Best book on the subject. Will teach you everything you need to know about Shotguns if you are willing to read it. Some of the material is dated but still the best info on the subject.

Shotgun Report is an excellent source of information. The Technoid has his own views that are often not in agreement with other shotgun experts or with common sense, but he does have some excellent info if you are willing to dig through the site. He used to provide it for free but has lately decided to start charging for advice. I personally think he is all wet about certain views he has but I am certainly not as pedigreed as he is. K80's do NOT handle like a pig on a shovel, no matter what he says

Another website with a discussion board: www.shotgunsports.com

A caution here, the discussion board above is nowhere near as high a quality as TFL (but then none of the others are either )

My $.02
Old November 21, 2001, 08:03 PM   #7
j-heart

Thanks for your replys.

Rob62 - Your 4 part series was very helpful .

Amazon sells "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science" for $13.26. I may end up ordering it if I cannot find it at the local library Friday.

I'm still surfing "Shotgun Report" and "www.shotgunsports.com" websites.