The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 05:29 PM   #26
sltm1

My pair is a Rossi 92 and Uberti 1858 factory "old stock" remodel. Accuracy in both is superb for these older eyes. About short vs long, what I read was the term "long Colt", although not a factory name, was used to differentiate between th 45 Colt and the shorter S&W Schofield among quartermasters at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AntiqueRemie2.jpg (97.7 KB, 33 views)
Old April 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #27
newfrontier45

I would never intentionally humiliate someone in public over this but I do have a strong opinion. That said, I don't think every discussion where it's referred to as ".45 Long Colt" should deteriorate into an argument over it.

That said, there is no .45 Short or Long Colt and never was. What there was, was the .45Gov't. A stepchild of a cartridge designed to work in both the .45 S&W and .45Colt SAA's of the day. It had the Colt's smaller rim but the S&W's shorter length. Unfortunately, many cases were simply stamped ".45 Colt". So at one time, there 'was' a need to differentiate between the two. No sixgun ever chambered the cartridge. It is so obscure that most people have never heard of it and most use the "Long" these days to differentiate it between the .45ACP. Old habits die hard and some people cling real hard to "Long".

Real simple:
.45ACP
.45S&W
.45Gov't
.45Colt
Old April 14, 2013, 06:02 PM   #28
Slamfire

USFA made an excellent SAA with their Rodeo. The matte finish required hours less polishing but it shot just as well:

Old April 14, 2013, 07:12 PM   #29
Bob Wright

Eric M said:
Quote:
There was, well over a century ago a ..
That, as of now, means prior to 1913.

My parents were married in 1915!

Bob Wright
Old April 14, 2013, 07:23 PM   #30
WESHOOT2

somewhere....

....I have a picture of old ammo boxes marked "45 Long Colt".
But I still ain't come across them again yet.....

I think the boxes were military.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:25 PM   #31
dgludwig

Yep, I've seen them too-and from more than one company (I've also seen magazines made by companies-Marlin is one-that were dubbed "clips"). But, just because some companies do it now doesn't necessarily mean that the term ".45 Long Colt" is no more than a semantic anomaly that ignores historical reality.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:34 PM   #32
orionengnr

It is really unfortunate...

I enjoy The Cartridge, (whatever you wish to call it); handloading it and shooting it, and reading threads with others' experiences and thoughts.

Unfortunately...

EVERY...
SINGLE...
FRICKIN'...
THREAD...

...quickly gets sidetracked with the "correct/incorrect" terminology...and then the thread degrades into a urinating contest. Any opportunity to learn anything is lost.

Small brains and large egos prevail.

So sad.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:44 PM   #33
WESHOOT2

yeah, I don't understand either

I mean really, cartridge name snobs?

It is one of the reasons I sold my 45 Long Colt Redhawk (the other being no more dinosaurs roaming the neighborhood; I kept the 44 Mag 'Hawk, though).
Old April 14, 2013, 09:13 PM   #34
DMZX

As a reloader I love the cartridge. As mentioned there are all kinds combos one can load.

I posted a last month asking about round balls:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521327

I loaded some up yesterday and tried them out. What a hoot.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #35
AL45

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt and a .22 LR revolver and have no plans or desire to own anything else. I do reload, however. It is extremely versatile when reloading and extremely expensive when not reloading.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:53 PM   #36
QuarterHorse

As as been said it's a do all cartridge. I bought a New Vaquero convertible and have been handloading 45 Colt for a short time. With all the reading I'm now looking to buy a 92 Rifle in 45 Colt, and a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Hunter (going to be hard to find) in 45 Colt.

In fact I just went to the range today and I had more fun shooting my handloads that are a touch warmer than factory ammo, and cost me WAY less. I figured I'm in it for .17 a round vs .80+ cents a round!

Do yourself a favor and get one or four guns in 45 colt!!!!
Old April 14, 2013, 10:06 PM   #37
newfrontier45

Quote:
I mean really, cartridge name snobs?
Is that really necessary?
Old April 14, 2013, 10:24 PM   #38
spaniel

The tired naming controversy aside....

I bought a conversion cylinder for my 1858 Pietta. I am restricted to "cowboy" loads, but is is the most accurate revolver I own and a pleasure to shoot.

If I want big loads with big recoil I have a S&W 329PD and a Taurus Tracker TI 41Mag. But neither is as accurate.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:25 PM   #39
WESHOOT2

grenade comment vs rats a$$

It was not directed at any individual, but at the overall weenieness of our modern society.
Unless, of course, the name fits?

Since I DO have those pics of cartridge boxes marked as "45 Long Colt", I am amused by attempts to suggest there is no such thing. I have no other involvement in this discussion, as I don't care what one designates the cartridge. I know it by both.
Old April 15, 2013, 05:48 AM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

Enough. This is not going to turn into another nomenclature debate.we have had enough of those over the years.

If you get all bothered by someone saying long, get over it and accept the fact that some people find it to be a valid identifier in their universe.

any subsequent posts on that aspect will be deleted.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:40 AM   #41
Pilot

When I was looking to acquire a Single Action Army clone, I went with a USFA Rodeo in .45 Colt. I reload for the cartridge as feeding it with factory ammo is cost prohibitive, plus I can tailor the loads for what I want. Great cartridge, and for a woods gun, very versatile as others have said. At some point I will get the stronger framed Ruger for carrying the stouter loads, than an SAA can handle, but it is a great cartridge even with limiting to the SAA loads. Hard to complain about a 255 grain slug going 950 FPS from a cowboy gun.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:56 AM   #42
Sarge

I wish someone would introduce a decent snubnose five-shooter for it again. I should have snagged a Taurus 450 when they were available...
Old April 15, 2013, 07:03 AM   #43
Super Sneaky Steve

To the OP, stop thinking about the Colt unless you're willing to scavenge some lead and cook up your own. Otherwise it's like dating an expensive super model.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #44
rclark

Quote:
To the OP, stop thinking about the Colt unless you're willing to scavenge some lead and cook up your own.
Actually buying .45 Colt lead bullets from say, Rimrock bullets, is still way cheaper than factory.... No need to 'cast' ... although someday I'd like to get into that too for even more savings. I figure about $20 per box of 100. I can afford that for the moderate shooting I do.

Quote:
I wish someone would introduce a decent snubnose five-shooter for it again.
Nice and compact like the CA Bulldog.... Yeah.... that would be nice! Wouldn't mind it in SA either ... But if only DA ... I'd really think about that too!

Just pick yourself up a nice .45 Colt Ruger BH in your favorite barrel length. Your all set. Believe me ... it won't be your 'last' one either .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; April 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old April 15, 2013, 03:56 PM   #45
newfrontier45

Quote:
To the OP, stop thinking about the Colt unless you're willing to scavenge some lead and cook up your own.
I don't agree with this either. You can still save a hell of a lot of money with commercial cast bullets. I don't spend more than $7-$8 per 50rds with commercial cast bullet loads, which I use almost exclusively. I find handloading saves a lot of money for the time spent doing it. Casting bullets, not so much when all factors are considered.
Old April 15, 2013, 05:37 PM   #46
QuarterHorse

Lead is no problem. I just put in an order from SnS for another 500 lot of 'em.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:07 PM   #47
ChaseReynolds

I enjoy shooting my .45 colt. It is my only wheel gun and the first large caliber gun I got. It was a gift from my uncle after a night drinking and playing cards with my dad and other uncles. It is a 1917 colt service revolver and I plan on keeping it in the family at least until I am gone. Hopefully my kids understand the sentimental value and history and keep it too.
Old April 15, 2013, 07:40 PM   #48
GeauxTide

I also have a Bisley like 45LC and it's second only to my Bisley 44 Special as a favorite. I have two loads that shoot very well, a 275 LFN at 1060 and a 255 at 1100. As Brian Pearce stated in the latest Handloader, using 285 RCBS loads at 1050, "these loads were used, with authority, on Black Bear". His son shot a large bear, in the chest, at 40 yards six times. Not one bullet was recovered and there were exit wounds "half the size of my fist". I hardly shoot my 44mag and 41mag any more.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:07 PM   #49
rclark

Quote:
these loads were used, with authority
And note that they were shot out of a medium frame flattop.... No need for the hard kick'n ROLs .....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 15, 2013, 09:32 PM   #50
Mike Irwin
Staff

I will say it AGAIN.

This is NOT going to become another thread about whether it's more or less correct to say Long Colt or Colt.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.