The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 29, 2010, 09:03 PM   #26
DiscoRacing

Quote:
not if you dress like some of the gals around here
Here also.. or in the summer anyway.... would have to be a pretty small gun on some a these women.... or the clothes wouldnt conceal the gun.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If there is one part of the article I wish LEOs would read, remember, and take to heart, it would be this:

Quote:
Law abiding citizens do not expect to be treated like a felon — nor should they be. They will be angry if you prone them out, spread eagle them against a wall, or take their firearm from them without just cause. Good point to remember: A little thought and common sense goes a long way here.
Common sense is not part of the curriculum at the police academy in my state. They teach "command voice" instead -- if your inappropriate and confusing request/order does not result in immediate compliance, repeat said inappropriate and confusing request/order at increasing volume levels until the serf has been psychologically neutralized.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:36 AM   #28
BerettaBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
I frequently Mexican carry. Handy for those stop and go car trips
That's why I mostly have "clip"type IWB holsters. Especially since I switched jobs and can't carry at work, I just take off the whole holster and put it in the console. The only problem is so many clip holsters are junk
- Jeff Cooper
Old August 1, 2010, 04:34 PM   #29
Wildalaska

Quote:
I wonder if WA and I scared the breakfast crowd?
Would have if ya didnt make me go change out of my thong.

WildtheseecampfitssonicelyAlaska TM ©2002-2010
Old August 3, 2010, 01:58 AM   #30
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I wonder if WA and I scared the breakfast crowd?
Wildalaska replies:
Quote:
Would have if ya didnt make me go change out of my thong.
I don't know about that, I am trying really hard to get the "out of my thong" thought out of my head! (And I wasn't even there!)

The article was very broad, read: many generalities, and could easily have been titled, "Intro to Spotting a Concealed Carry 101".

And the parting "shot":
Quote:
WildtheseecampfitssonicelyAlaska TM ©2002-2010
I may just have started fasting...

Now, go figure...
Old August 3, 2010, 08:06 AM   #31
Skans

I thought it was a good article. And, I see nothing wrong with stereotyping - I find that most "stereotypes" have a large degree of accuracy - not 100%, but better than 60%.

Just one question: What is a "blade stance" - as mentioned in the article?
Old August 3, 2010, 08:08 AM   #32
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
I do have concern about LEOs spotting me because they might be a nerd about it.
Exactly. I was rather offended by this article because there's no actual need for police to ever know that a legal CCW'er is carrying. There just isn't. It's none of their business, and them knowing the so-called 'warning signs' only makes it easier for them to harass more people. Yay.

I mean, look at the title of the article. "Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon." Why do you need to deal with them? They're carrying legally.

Rrrgh.
Old August 3, 2010, 09:35 AM   #33
booker_t

Quote:
Skans: What is a "blade stance"
Were you being serious or facetious?

Might be a typo or regional difference; but assuming the former (serious question), a bladed stance is one that isn't square to the target, with weak side shoulder forward, firearm generally close to the body.

It has benefits and drawbacks depending on the scenerio and whether the shooter is wearing body armor.

Quote:
Freak: "dealing"
I agree and disagree. When reading the article, try to not add something from your own perspective that isn't there. This article was written for other officers, not legally carrying citizens, so remember the audience and interpret his tone/wording accordingly.

I don't believe the officer intended to imply that citizens who legally carry need to be "dealt" with. Perhaps it wasn't the best choice of words. Being somebody who is an avid supporter of carry laws, you may read it that way which puts a spin on his article, so just be careful there. For what it's worth, I read it that way the first time too, and then asked "is that what he really meant, or was it just how I read the word?" I think he simply meant how officers should deal with the reality of citizens who carry legally, and respecting them, understanding their mentality, and not creating a situation where there isn't one by treating them like somebody who is carrying illegally, just because they have a gun.