The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
aktinker

Page Lewis Reliance Model D - I need a bolt

I need your help folks. I have a co worker that has recieved his father's old Page Lewis Reliance Model D bolt action .22 Single Shot Rifle. The rifle itself belong to his father's father, and so on back to when it was new. The exterior is in pretty sad shape (which I can restore), but the bore is good and he wants it to be a shooter again. The main issue is that THE BOLT IS GONE. I've already told him that its a long shot, but I'm looking into it anyway.

A little google'ing around has given me this history. Page and Lewis broke off from the Stevens Arms company to start their own business around the turn of the century. A while later, one of them died, and the other sold out to Savage. Given the time period and that many models from Stevens, Savage, Springfield, Fox, etc, have many interchangeable parts, i have this question:

Does anyone know if a bolt from any other .22 of the period will fit this rifle? If so, what model, this is a big deal for him since its one of the few things he has that dates back in his family. Any input would be appreciated.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
sludge1949

Page Lewis 22

The Page Lewis bolt action guns have a unique extractor so only the bolt from a Page Lewis Mdl D ,Mdl 49 or Mdl 50 will work in a Mdl D.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:09 AM   #3
aktinker

Alrighty, update. I may have a line on a bolt. The Catch: No firing pin. despite my best efforts, the internet refuses to give me any idea what a PL Mod D Firing Pin would look like. I might be able to fab one up, but I need something to go by. Does anyone have one of these old Gems that might be kind enough to do a FULL disassembly of the bolt and rifle and post some pictures?
Old February 11, 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
DRL64

I have Page & Lewis 49 parts

aktinker,

I have a firing pin and other items for a P&L 49.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:44 AM   #5
gyvel

Make that TWO firing pins. I also have a bolt, but no firing pin. Mine is a Savage Model 50, made right after they bought out Page-Lewis.
Old July 11, 2019, 08:30 PM   #6
simjack45

Page Lewis Reliance Model D.

I know this is an old post, but did you ever find a bolt for the Page Lewis Reliance Model D? Thank you
Old July 12, 2019, 05:17 AM   #7
aktinker

I did. Given the relative obscurity of the gun, I figured people might be buying up old gun shop inventory, not knowing what it was. I the. started searching gunbroker and eBay for stuff like unknown bolt and old parts. It took a little time but I found a complete bolt and extractor for $15!