The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 3, 2012, 10:43 AM   #26
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have a wide collection of calibers ranging from .22-50BMG. While I am old school and my favorite is probably one of my .308's, but the ones that get the most action are my .22's. From .22 match pistols, to my CMMG AR .22 these definitely earn their keep. I teach people to shoot and basic fundamentals on these. I always tell people that a good .22 is one of the best investments as far as keeping proficient and even protection if needed. Ammo is cheap and plentiful.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 3, 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
45YearsShooting

I have an old Savage/Anschutz 64 with a 26-inch barrel and the sweetest trigger you can imagine. Picked it up very-well used for $350. A competition target shooter used it a lot before I got it.

The long 26-inch barrel makes the gun quieter than some of my pellet rifles when using subsonic 22 ammo. The combination of that wonderful trigger, great feeling palm swell, incredible accuracy, just the right weight (not too heavy) and quiet shooting make it the most fun rifle to shoot that I own, and I own a lot.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:31 PM   #28
coyota1

Quote:
The long 26-inch barrel makes the gun quieter than some of my pellet rifles when using subsonic 22 ammo
Try using CB caps. Very quiet! Good for shooting squirrels or pests when you don't want to disturb anybody.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Torch

The 22 LR is simply magical.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:03 PM   #30
Rjmurrayjr

i currently have a ruger 10-22 that i have had for 10 years and it is my work horse. Never had a jam, but i use good clean ammo and always clean thouroughly after use. im looking forward to purchasing my next ruger 10/22 with composite stock and scope package.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:05 AM   #31
Cousin Toad

The .22 is probably the most fun and cheapest way to get into shooting and also keep up good shooting habits. In my youth I had a 10/22 that I could not tell how many thousands and thousands of

rounds I shot through. During that time you could get Winchester Wildcat .22 for $0.79 a box/$7.90 a brick from Roses Stores (anybody remember those stores). Many, many fun filled afternoons and

weekends was spent shooting with family and friends for a little of nothing, but I guess priceless memories today. Unfortunately, someone wanted that .22 worse than me and it was stolen some years

ago. I have replaced it with another 10/22 and picked up a henry lever .22 and I still enjoy shooting with the family and teaching my young girls (9yo and 4yo) to have fun and be safe with firearms.

The .22 line of rimfire was probably one of the best cartridges ever invented!
Old November 4, 2012, 03:43 PM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Yet more .22 fun today!

Today I had my first day of .22 plinking on metal targets. Ranges don't have them, so it is only on private land that you do this and my urban backyard hardly qualifies, but our club head has open land and so today, in rain (but blissfully no wind), I had a punt!

Great fun with my CZ 452: six targets: one at about 96m, then 107m, 149m, 167m, 210 and 244m!! Five shots at each was the only rule.

Considering I was not using clik adjustments from my 25m zero, only hold-over, and I'd forgotten all my Nikon "Spot-on" print outs, I was amazed when I got consistent hits on several targets. Howver, I did miss the 210 and 167 plates completely.

Oh well... live and learn, but it was great fun to get the "dong" half a second after the trigger was squeezed!!
Old November 4, 2012, 06:41 PM   #33
Stealth01

I absolutely love the .22 LR. It can be a mind numbing challenge to the point of OBSESSION for those Really small groups!!

Old November 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #34
shamaz

Great gun and great group! I've just been outside going "pop--ding" with a Henry rifle and Super Colibris in the front yard. A small fawn was grazing just a few feet away. Fun stuff.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:47 PM   #35
rebs

I have an old JC Higgins single shot that I got when I was a kid, a Marlin semi auto with the micro groove barrel and a remington 541 custom sporter.
I love shooting 22 lr.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:30 AM   #36
45YearsShooting

Noise reduction

Quote:
Try using CB caps. Very quiet! Good for shooting squirrels or pests when you don't want to disturb anybody.
I experimented with all brands of CB caps, but the accuracy is not there, and they are only good to about 35 yards. At 50 yards, I found a lot of vertical stringing of groups with CB caps. I can get one-hole groups with sub-sonic LR ammo at that distance. With the 26-inch barrel on my Anschutz, the .22 LR sub-sonics are as quiet as the CB caps are in shorter barrels, with way more power and way flatter trajectory. I don't need anything quieter. There is no muzzle blast noise using sub-sonics with that barrel. If using super-sonic ammo, you get the "crack" noise of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. With sub-sonics that is gone. In shorter-barreled 22's, I don't notice much difference in noise between sub-sonic 22 LR ammo and high-velocity ammo. The long barrel is the key.

I wish more companies would make long-barreled 22 rimfires for the noise reduction alone. Very few people know about this noise reduction because very few people have shot sub-sonic ammo in a 26-inch barreled 22 rimfire.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #37
coyota1

Yes the subsonic stuff is great. I just use CB caps when range is 25 yrds or less, and I don't want to alert a neighboring tree hugger that I shot a red squirrel. I use the CB long.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:30 PM   #38
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
All that for a price hardly worth mentioning.
Couple that with extremely slow fire and it appears the rifle is paying you to shoot.

I have 7 .22s, 6 semi-autos and 1 bolt. Guess which one gets shot the most. Yup, the bolt. Nothing more relaxing than shooting for groups at 100 yards, and firing less than a box in an hour.

It has been and always will be my favorite caliber.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:34 AM   #39
Rimfire5

I have to agree with the OP.
I have 4 bolt action 22LRs and 2 10-22 conversions and one Kidd 10-22.
Bolts -------------------- Semis
Cooper 57M ---------------- Kidd 20 inch match barrel
Winchester 52C ------------ Ruger with 20 inch Butler Creek match barrel
Sako Quad ----------------- Ruger with 20 inch Butler Creek Combo barrel
Kimber SVT

They are listed in the order of accuracy measured over 25,000 rounds of ammo sent down range. All fun to shoot but the bolt actions are great training aids for my other bolt rifles.
Interestingly, the Kidd just about holds it own with the Cooper and the Winchester. The three all average well under 0.4 inches for their 5 favorite ammos - Cooper 0.336, Winchester 0.352, and the Kidd 0.372.
The Sako averages 0.380, the Ruger BC Match averages 0.428, the Ruger BC Combo 0.456 and the Kimber trails with 0.488.

The best part of the 22LRs is that they are great for teaching novice shooters the joy of shooting. My grandson and granddaughter learned on their 22LRs and my granddaughter is now an accomplished and dedicated shooter who now can out shoot me easily.

That's the best part of shooting 22LRs - they are easy to learn on and aren't loud enough and don't recoil enough to scare off a new shooter. Those two characteristics also make them great tools for refining one's shooting technique. There aren't many other rifles that allow you to see the bullet hit the target as you are evaluating your technique.

Last edited by Rimfire5; November 6, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:47 PM   #40
coyota1

Rimfire5, and Stevie-Ray; I want the combo to your safe.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:54 PM   #41
Guilty

The next best thing to shooting .22's is shooting suppressed .22's!
Old November 13, 2012, 07:32 PM   #42
Edward429451

I know! I drool for a suppressed Ruger MK II. What a wonderful trail gun and small gaming pistol that would be.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #43
defcon

i keep buying more .22's than centerfire rifles.

im already at 11 rimfires. planning on 20 more .22LR's

latest bulk purchase was a bunch of Glenfield/Marlin 60's for $60 - $80 a piece

loving them tubed rifles.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:46 PM   #44
IrishBluEyes51

.22lr is by far my fave. i grew up shooting my Remington model 121 "fieldmaster"

been shooting it for nearly 50 years

more fun than a barrel of monkeys
Old December 1, 2012, 02:42 AM   #45
Ignition Override

Some of you might also have tried the Romanian M-69 Trainer.
It is really light, handy and seems like a smaller .22LR version of my Yugo Mauser, but the M-69, in my opinion, has better sights. The Yugo, because of the lousy sights, is no longer used...period.

And the river bottom where I shoot is so much quieter with the M-69 than with my SKS, Enfields, FR8s or Garand.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:58 AM   #46
coyota1

I have a trainer myself. It has some trouble ejecting, but I just tip it and the shell rolls out.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:41 AM   #47
Esox

I love rimfires. My favorite rifle is the Browning BL-22. Accurate as heck with anything I feed it. Favorite poistol is a toss up, either the semi auto or single six Ruger Hunter.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:59 AM   #48
m_liebst

It's the most affordable past-time I picked up, shooting old boltactions at camp as a youth. I'm actually looking to get a nice bolt action soon. But as of now, i shoot my 1022. It's probably not the biggest challenge for the elite target shooters, but I love smacking golf balls consistently from 55 yards (lazer ranged)......and I just love doing this with the new CCI Quiet ammo. The round moves so slow and combined with the low report, ya get a chance to hear that satisfying high pitched smack as the golf ball goes flying

I get the CCI Quiets at my local gunshow for 27 bucks per brick. They don't cycle semis, but they have a pleasingly low report. I've shot them at ranges up to 125 yards at fence post size targets. Was when I found out I could turn my 1022 into an accurate pellet rifle.

Last edited by m_liebst; December 2, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:33 PM   #49
.243 Jake

well then..

if a .22 at 100 yards is like a "big rifle" at 600, then what, exactly, is my 300 yard hit on a soda can with my .22? savage MKII G, great little gun. accurate, reliable, and fun as hell, like al .22s.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #50
hikingman

Great thread!

My ten year old (to me) .22 is The Remington Viper, model 522. The pawn shop let it go for $80 back then, and it eats cheap Remington bulk ammo like there's no tomorrow. The synthetic stock is a definite plus! Some owners found this rifle problematic due to plastic mags., or ejection issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viper.jpg (78.4 KB, 15 views)