The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

AT-6 with Karl Rehn

AT-6 with Karl Rehn

Did AT-6 course with Karl Rehn Saturday (www.krtraining.com). I've taken lot of his courses. Great course that emphasize shooting technique as we were all advanced students and through the tactics.

Started with mess of rounds at 25 yards, trying to establish good trigger control. Target was a small pie plate. It was good to hit it and I learned a good deal about my technique.

Also we did a retention to sighted fire movement drill (HORRORS! - some of us knew the GT point shooting thread and laughed).

A series of still plates from cover, moving through obstacles, nondominant hand, moving drills.

One thing screwed up my old brain, we had a steel plate drill with widely separated plates. You had to shoot far left, then far right and back to the middle. Twice, I fell into the old IDPA crap and shot them in tactical order. Bah.

In any case, we shot 400 rounds in the TX heat. I bought a cap with a back flap and it really was more comfortable.

Karl is a great and reasonable resource for those in TX!

I had one jam in my Glock 19 - a double feed with Blazer Brass, the Blazer Al, never hiccuped. One thing I noticed is that I have reloads and clearing stoppages really down almost automatically. For another debate, I used the slide release and never fumbled it yet!
Old August 31, 2005, 10:58 AM   #2
Ben Swenson

Quote:
had one jam in my Glock 19 - a double feed with Blazer Brass, the Blazer Al, never hiccuped.
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken.
Glocks don't jam.
I heard it on the innernet.

With regards to the left-right-middle drill ... I've found myself having a bit of trouble on similar drills. Something about bringing the gun back and forth messes with my aim in a way that a smooth left to right or right to left swing doesn't.

Something to practice!
Old August 31, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, Ben - they do once in awhile. I found my first G19 went south when:

1. The trigger spring broke about 10k rounds
2. It developed a tendency to impale a spent round on the firing pin and it just hung there like a popsicle.
3. Lawman ecological ammo

My G27 had a bad mag!

This G19, my second - pretty good - this double feed was quite unusual and rare.

My G26 was a baby - no problems. However, it went bye bye for a Kahr that is still being broken in.

I never believe the internet - don't even trust myself!!