The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 27, 2011, 09:57 PM   #26
claymore1500

Quote:
Chamber length is always included in autoloading pistols, derringers, and any other gun with a chamber integral with the bore.
While I am not saying that I am right or they are wrong, I'm just saying that's the way I measure a barrel, likewise when I measure my driveway, I don't include the garage.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:03 PM   #27
youngunz4life

so what you have in your hand is the size of the model one no matter whather its for 38, 30-30, 357, 44, etc?

saw one review- having trouble finding reviews, it is basically just a forum post. he bought the 357 and got 38s because he was nervous. no problem so he bought 357 since thats the ammo of his choice. his last sentence said he is sticking with the 38rounds. I'm thinking they might not even sell this 44 anymore. I ran into same sort of problem when I tried to purchase the ruger super redhawk alaskan
Old January 27, 2011, 10:15 PM   #28
youngunz4life

found thread over half a score old on subject

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9800

anyways, it is hard to figure out what to do with the derringer issue I have. I can tell you that I willnot be selling the derringer I do buy. Its hard to argue with this reason- I have heard others say the same. the gun salesman actually talked me out of buying one of his derringers. I don't plan on shooting it all the time, but I want to shoot it every once in a while. I love 357(such a good round in my eyes), I just would like to make the 44 work if possible.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:35 PM   #29
claymore1500

The model 1, as far as I can tell you is the size I have pictured, They don't elaborate on any differences due to cal.

I just noticed that they offer the mod.1 chambered in 30.30 winchester, I should get one of those to match up with my T.C.Contender.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:45 PM   #30
youngunz4life

had another 04 thread but cant find it now- I PM'ed him though!!

I'm gonna be really ****** if I go to work with a welt/laceration or hurt wrist after firing my 300gr hollow point .44 magnums thru my amer derringer model 1!!

Its gonna be a trouser hugger but will serve its purpose. I just want to be able to shoot it someimes and not have lasting impressions more than a few minutes afterwards!

every time someone has said, "don't do it...recoil.." it has never been that bad. this time I am a little worried though
Old January 28, 2011, 10:54 AM   #31
LarryFlew

In most brands the barrels are interchangeable for all center fire cartridges IF you can find a barrel only. My old FIE had 32 and 38 special barrels and yes they where identical in size.
Old January 28, 2011, 05:13 PM   #32
youngunz4life

guyz, I bought a cobra blue 38 derringer.

I listened to reason on this one(asw in I gave up the 44 notion and so-on):

before you pass judgement understand I got a brand new 38 derringer for 100something bucks!!

He said he thought it was stainless steel even though it is a blue color and we couldn't find the info in the manual. It is small and I will try to post pix later tonight. It was the same derringer I passed on when I bought my S&W 649 snubby a few months ago. I could Not bring myself to buy just plain sammy spec or whatever leadnose(target rounds//if sammy spec is something different forgive me). I bought remington 158 grain LHP +P 38's for it but am going to fire it 4 times and just have it trouser hug most of the time. the guy I spoke with- I searched him out because he is an ammo king- said the round is fine for this derringer. the hot load wont effect the gun(I am assuming unless I put it thru the ringer) but it might kick me a little. I believe him. this round is an old CIA, FBI round too way 'back in the day'. I gotta to have something with some stopping power in it if I do ever need it! It was hard enough buying the 38. I am glad I crossed that bridge though- now I can start buying more 38 and 357 ammo for my four handguns. the hammer cocks half way or all the way also. the safety can be put into effect after the hammer is cocked but I will probably just cock it as needed. I like this derringer and I saved a few bucks bigtime. I have wanted a derringer for a long time. it is a great NY reload and very concealable. maybe I can get my wife to carry this one as she doesnt the 649 or my other snubby as of yet
Old January 28, 2011, 09:18 PM   #33
claymore1500

Quote:
I bought remington 158 grain LHP +P 38's for it
Check your PM's the gun you have bought is NOT rated for +p ammo.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:24 PM   #34
claymore1500

This is an example of what you can do to a gun that is not rated for higher than standard sammi spec ammo.

Old January 28, 2011, 09:52 PM   #35
BGutzman

That had to hurt....
Old January 28, 2011, 10:57 PM   #36
claymore1500

Quote:
That had to hurt....
That was my dad's gun, ironicaly it didn't even scratch him, in fact, he didn't even know it blew up until he tried to fire the second shot and all it did was click.

(don't kid yourself, he was darned lucky)
Old January 29, 2011, 01:08 AM   #37
youngunz4life

couple pictures

for some reason I still haven't learned to post pix the better way(like claymore's):

yes, claymore I thought it was chrome too. I was with the younger guy and then after purchase sought out the ammo guy who I get advice from. I dont think its stainless like the younger kid said- probably chrome but the younger guy did show me the manual about the +P rounds. the woman at amer derringer said hollows were ok to a point(we spoke before I decided to frop the amer derringer like a hot potato//great firearm but it just made sense to buy this one)but mainly the ammo king said immediately no to +P but as we spoke and went thru the rounds he said the round I listed would be fine even though its a hot round. hopefully he is right. I shot 4rounds and I have it loaded. it only fires when fully cocked. the half cock is necessary to unload or load the derringer and also the weapon must be half cocked to put the safety on(or fully cocked but to load or unload its halfcocked//it took me a couple minutes to figure that out and then I read it too). I like this derringer. I figure my round makes the cut but honestly I dont know that for sure in the least bit. there is a lifetime warranty which is cool and I registered at www.cobrapistols.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0128012304.jpg (69.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 0128012305.jpg (72.8 KB, 37 views)
Old January 29, 2011, 10:12 PM   #38
youngunz4life

claymore1500

I had to shoot it a couple more times today. I forgot about the firearm in my pocket today when we visited my mom-in-law. Its so lightwieght and small- great purchase in my opinion for 180something bucks. I bought a real small bulldog in-the-pocket holster mainly to protect it from lint, dust, etc.

sorry for all thread traffic but one more question claymore:

do I need to clean this weapon more than say my S&W 649 2 1/8" .357 revolver(do derringers need extra cleaning than the average firearm)?

also, will shooting it wear out my derringer quicker than the average revolver? for some reason I just feel like it will get dirty quicker and/or malfunction quicker. I might be way off base with this notion, but I think I am a little skeptical about the fact I know the ammo isn't the recommended ammo. how much stronger are my 357's compared to this derringer? is its size make it less powerful and/or are 357 way above 38s? I know the derringer is deadly, but it just feels different. oh yeah, I hurt my ear the one time I fired without the hearing protection. I have to stop doing that! I am glad I bought this firearm.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:27 PM   #39
claymore1500

Well the good news is that most derringers are extremely reliable, they have very simple actions and are less suseptible to crud from fireing entering the action due to no path for it to follow,(note: you WILL get some, but not like a revolver).

As to cleaning, personally I clean all of my guns after shooting, anything from 1 round to 100 rounds (doesn't matter) I guess I am just anal about that, but if you work with what ever you are comfortable with you will be ok.

I checked the "winchester ballistics chart" on line, and the minimal list of numbers for 158gr. bullets are as follows:

.38spl (standard)=755 fps at the muzzle

.38spl. +p=890 fps at the muzzle

.357 mag.=1235 fps at the muzzle

These numbers are from test barrels, your numbers will be different.

It should be noted that using +p ammo in a gun that is not rated for +p will accelerate wear, but with minimal use of +p, you should be able to practice with standard loads for many years, the .38spl derringer I own has got to be 20 something years old and has many hundreds of shots fired, other than the finish being worn off there are no signs of my not having it for the rest of my life.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:51 PM   #40
hondauto

Here's a search for the OP
I have bought firearms several times through gunbroker..pleasan transaction.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx
I guess you'll have to type in "derringer" for the search field..It won't let me do it for this link.
Closed Thread

Tags
derringer , mousegun