The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Coots

Ear Muffs?

My father-in-law is looking for some type of electronic ear muffs. I'm looking at getting him a pair and ran across this deal on amazon. $47 for some Remington R1500's. I know there are tons more that cost ~250 - 300.

He goes shooting three or four times a year, so from the review these seem to be what we are after. I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with this type of muff and what are your thoughts on this model, or a model you would suggest to me.

Keeping the price around ~75.00
Old November 2, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Casimer

I've never used the Remingtons, but I do have two sets of Leight 'Sport' electronic muffs and have been very happy with them. They're $47 as well - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8BA70T798D7DY5

The Sports are thin, which is helpful for rifle shooting.

The less expensive electronic muffs simply shut off the signal from the mic when the decibel level exceeds a given threshold. The more advanced ones (e.g. MSA's) process even loud sounds and reduce them to an acceptable decibel level.
Old November 2, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
LHB1

Coots,
The function of electronic ear muffs is frequently misunderstood. Typically they are a) STANDARD ear muffs which muffle sounds like other ear muffs combined with b) a microphone/speaker which amplifies external sounds IF those sounds are under a stated decibel level. They do NOT electronically muffle sounds. To obtain maximum sound reduction, buy ear muffs with the HIGHEST decibel rating (posted on package) which typically ranges from low 20's to low 30's.
Old November 3, 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
chris in va

I had some electronics that were rated at 30nrr, which is pretty good. I borrowed a friend's muff rated at 21 and I ended up having to stick some foam plugs in my ears because they just weren't up to the task.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
sholling

Quote:
The less expensive electronic muffs simply shut off the signal from the mic when the decibel level exceeds a given threshold. The more advanced ones (e.g. MSA's) process even loud sounds and reduce them to an acceptable decibel level.
This is exactly correct. The cheapies create a stutter effect if there is a lot of shooting during conversation.

Whatever you choose make sure you have a rating of at least 26db for an outdoor range and 30db for an indoor range. If that's not doable then consider plugs under the muffs.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:27 PM   #6
DVC45ACP

I've been using a set of Pro Ears for maybe 15(?) years now and they still work great. Worth every cent, and they weren't as pricey as some options.

After eventually losing the plastic volume knobs and having the microphone cover foam wear out, I contacted them and they were happy to promptly ship me the replacement parts free of charge. I'd give them an A+ for customer service and that's something I really value.
Old November 15, 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
JerseyDrez

Never had any experience with that model.

This is like a 'suggest a 9mm to me', it can be endless.

I use ear plugs most of the time because I like shooting with a hat on. But I picked up a pair of Peltor's (around $40) and they are super comfortable, adjustable, and do a heck of a good job at the indoor range with my 7.62x39 and 12ga and such. I wear them when I forget my hat or when someone needs hearing protection.

Anything in the $40-70 range will do the job fine.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old November 15, 2009, 04:57 PM   #8
outdoor14

Howard Leight impact sport

I have tried several brands of electronic muffs. The Howard Leight sport impact are the best for the buck I have tried. $49.00 with free shipping on ebay with seller Optics Planet. Just ordered a pair for my girlfriend last night.
Old November 24, 2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Bluefox9mm

I agree with Outdoor14

I too bought the Howard Leight Lectronics...you can even plug an Ipod so you can listen to your favorite music while you blast away at targets.. I bought one for my wife and I, love em...great price, very comfortable.

Blue