The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 29, 1999, 02:08 AM   #1
John Robins

Imagine the advantages of having a weapon that could only be fired by the one person authorised to fire it..a weapon which checked your voice print before it allowed you to pull the trigger...a weapon that checked that the fingerprint of the finger on the trigger was that of an authorised user.Imagine a weapon which allowed you to tell it by voice command that the round you are about to fire within the next instant should be a tranquilizing dart instead of a full load or a rubber bullet instead of a titanium tip. It all sounds like something from a comic book but a new company has just demonstrated working prototypes to The Pentagon and major law enfocement agencies.

These were just 2 of their new products...have a look at their new electronically fired gun that fires at the rate of one million rounds per minute...it is likely to be used by the Navy to replace the Phalanx Systems on all vessels.

This new company is about to revolutionise modern weapon systems making everycurrent rapid fire weapon appear slow...its like the introduction of INTEL to the computer market except that the hold the only patents

The company is currently only listed on the Australian Stock Exchange and their aren't many shares on offer...so you probably wont be able to buy in now..but if you get the chance give it a go because the price will skyrocket when the Navy sign up in the next few weeks

To have a look at the new technology go to [URL=http://www.metalstorm-ltd.com]www.metalstorm-ltd.com/URL]well worth a look

I hope you find this interesting and pass the information on to anyone who has had the misfortune to have their weapon used without their permission or even turned upon themself or their family. All law enforcement agencies will find it interesting because it will ptotect their officers against loss of their weapon to a perpetraitor and if they set up each officers weapon so that it will not fire unless the authorised officer says "police" then there can never be an allegation that an officer failed to identify before firing

[This message has been edited by John Robins (edited August 29, 1999).]
Old August 29, 1999, 05:04 AM   #2
Doubro

This sound horrible. If true, this "Smartgun" technology would be the end of civilian gun ownership as we know it.

Besides the inherent problems of reliability...(Can you see how many cops will get flustered as a gunfight breaks out, only to find they've forgotten to say the "Majic word" and gotten shot for their trouble?) But who's going to regulate the electronic devices and operation codes used to lock/ unlock our weapons? You think the government doesn't want to control all of this technology? That they won't try to justify having "Master keys" that override your own individual command ID?

This is some seriously bad mojo for all folks, gun owners or not. It gives the FED an oportunity to establish unpreccedented control over the means of coersion... a veritable monopoly, if you will, that is unconstitutional and should be rejected not only as unneccessary but as dangerous folly.

------------------
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Old August 29, 1999, 05:15 AM   #3
Destructo6

Let us remember that the Navy also bought the SNARK.

One of the many things I like about guns is that they are as dumb as a post. When I pull the trigger they go, "bang," and never need to be rebooted.

------------------
I offer neither pay nor quarters nor provisions; I offer hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country in his heart, and not his lips only, follow me.
-Giuseppe Garabaldi

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited August 29, 1999).]
Old August 29, 1999, 06:18 AM   #4
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

I can't get the link to work so I'll reserve comment.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old August 29, 1999, 08:19 AM   #5
Kiwi

Here you go David........
http://www.metalstorm-ltd.com/

Kiwi
Old August 29, 1999, 10:16 AM   #6
John Robins

Bad glitch in above web address...should be
www.metalstorm-ltd.com

[This message has been edited by John Robins (edited August 29, 1999).]
Old August 29, 1999, 05:31 PM   #7
Brett Bellmore

Imagine a gun which doesn't fire if you're wearing a glove, if the battery is dead, or if you have a head cold. More to the point, imagine that black box the police will carry, (And enterprising criminals.) which causes your smart gun to go "click" when you pull the trigger. Or even to send out a homing beacon when the BATF drives by. No, I agree with Destructo6; Give me a dumb gun any day! On the other hand, it WOULD be nice if the feds adopt it; I'm not so bad with electronics, and an EMP generator wouldn't be so hard to whip up.

As for metalstorm, I hate to think how quickly that puppy will empty a ten round clip... Might have some use for point defense against missles, but I can't see myself buying one, and not just because the government wouldn't let me.
Old August 29, 1999, 09:59 PM   #8
Correia

Sure, it could be like the introduction of Intel, but please, please don't let it be Windows 98.
Old September 1, 1999, 04:09 PM   #9
Nestor Rivera

yea, right sure....

And we all know our ATM allways works on the first pass.

If I have to use my firearm a sure as heck want ME to be this Smarts and the gun to be a dumb TOOL.

As for a phalanx replacment I think the navy is looking into replaceing the 5in gun with a Rail Gun system on some of its ships. The Idea of a M-61 gun system for ground units is right out of the 60's, be advised that moving all the ammo for it is still a problem.
Old September 1, 1999, 04:23 PM   #10
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

A rail gun?

Ye gods. The data I have on them indicate that a rail gun capable of launching a decent-sized projectile at extremely high velocity would capsize any normal destroyer, and cause even a carrier to heel WAY over. Unless someone's come up with an insanely strong recoil management system, I don't see it.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 1, 1999, 09:27 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like some one has just seen JUDGE DREAD.

------------------
"The rage is relentless... We need a movement with a quickness.
You are a witness of change and to counteract - We gotta take the power back!"

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 1, 1999, 09:47 PM   #12
Willy

If memory serves me right, these are the people that invented the system that uses multiple projectiles in one tube. The first "round" is set off, it leaves the tube, and in doing so sets off the next "round". It is a chain reaction. The concept has been proven, they have incredible high rates of fire for the small amount of "rounds" in the tube. The figures I saw showed rounds from a conventional automatic weapon were spaced several feet apart during fire, and with this system the projectiles were only inches apart. This whole thing was written up in a national magazine, but I can't remember which one.

The smart gun thing looks like some kind of marriage between the multiple projectile tube deal and the "electronic gun".
Old September 2, 1999, 04:10 PM   #13
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, that's what we need. A gun that my daughter can't use when she's at home alone when a rapist breaks in 'cause it will only listen to me. A weapon that your fellow officer who has shot his weapon dry can't use as you lie bleeding and the crap is in the can. A perfect solution desperately in search of a problem.
Old September 3, 1999, 08:48 AM   #14
Danger Dave

Interesting. I was wondering when/if the next leap in firearms technology was coming. We went from cap & ball to hand-carried full auto in 60 years (Civil war to WWI), but the last 80 years have seen mostly refinements on old technology, with a few exceptions (MBA Gyrojet, H&K G11(?), and that weird revolver that fired triangular caseless rounds).

Honestly, I'm not too worried about this one. I think it has "Class III" written all over it. I just think that the ignition system has to be pretty simple to make it reliable, and if it is simple, anybody with a good understanding of electronics and a local Radio Shack (and the guts to risk blowing themselves to pieces) could make it full auto. Can you see the black market for plug-in full auto chips, security override devices, and barrels of specialized (AP, etc) rounds? If it does turn out to be all that they say, here's a weapon that would probably be limited to military and law enforcement to give them that big advantage in firepower they've been griping about not having.

That's all IF it works well enough to even be marketable.

Just my thoughts & opinions.

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.
Old September 3, 1999, 04:06 PM   #15
pete80

1 million rounds per minute? Your talking about some serious heat comin' off that barrel! If I knew the ballistic charts of the round they're using, I could certainly tell you physically that it is impossible with todays current metals. The energy and friction alone would super heat the barrel!

Ah yes, the "Not so Smart Gun", did they mention the fact that it runs off of lithium batteries (well, I should say the security locking mechanism). Get this, when it runs out of juice, the security mechanism shuts off, allowing anyone who doesn't have the "magic decoder ring" to fire it!

Another reason why it is a disasterous contraption is the fact that most military and police agency's like uniformity of arms. Quite simply, they like everyone to carry the same weapon, ammunition and parts. This "smart-gun" will could cost may servicemen's lives. If your weapon is out of ammo and your buddy is shot to pieces, your going to pick up his weapon and defend you and your blown up friend to the last round. The "smart-gun" is an ill-concieved design which quite simply has no place in todays modern small arms market.
Old September 7, 1999, 03:49 PM   #16
MountainMan44

I'll take a magazine full of 3" 00 buck over a barrel full of powder and projectiles controlled by a pentium any day.

------------------
The Second Ammendment is not about the right to hunt.