The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
ironmace

Anybody ever change a frame?

I have 2 brass frame 1851's. I would like to have a steel frame 1851. One of my brass frames is brand new and another is old and kind of loose. i know the brass frames get loose if they've been shot with heavy loads. i want to replace the brass frame with a steel one and hopefully everything will tighten up and it would be a stronger revolver. Anyone ever do this? Where do you get the frame from? they seem to be hard to find.
Old September 25, 2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Hawg

Might find one on gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/ Be best if you stay with same brand.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

IM

I am doing that right now with what is essentially an 1851. I will let you know how it goes.

So far, I have a good fit of the barrel and cylinder. I had a couple different back straps and trigger guards and I must admit, at this point I have lost trap of what tparts came with what.
Old September 27, 2010, 01:53 PM   #4
sebou

Hello, It is quite possible to change the frame. For example, myself, I had 2 1851 (cal.44) brass casing. Armi San Marco Model + some parts of carcass from Uberti.
It did not take long to place the frame Uberti and mixed Armi San Marco elements. Of course, as with all black powder, must know how to play the file and adjust parts well. I now have a revolver that works very well, and far more secure than the Armi San Marco. Here's what happens.
Have fun!

Seb

Old October 1, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
ironmace

Man, frames are tough to find. Every place that sells parts for these pistols do not sell the frame. Why? Some places have brass frames, but not steel. I think Taylors and Co. has steel frames but I think they are very expensive. Like, another twenty dollars and I could have the whole thing.
Old October 1, 2010, 10:15 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Quote:
Here's what happens.
Sebou, what are you pointing out, the gap between the steel and brass?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7
sebou

Hi Gents,

Quote:
HisSoldier
Sebou, what are you pointing out, the gap between the steel and brass?
Well, you see very well, sorry, but i'am an idiot !:barf: When I took the picture, I did not even place the barrette through the barrel yet.
Apart from that, I just wanted to show it is possible to change all of our pieces on BP. Of course, you still watch parts of the quotes are relatively close and compatible with a little work and sweat. I think what is possible with the brass frame is achievable with steel carcasses.
On this revovler "hybrid", I kept the gun deck, the handle, the grip frame, trigger, the spring cam from Armi San Marco on a model 1990. I set up a carcass Uberti brass (found in a flea market a few years ago for 20 €) dating from 1974 which I have adapted a barrel cam, a finger lift, hammer, big hammer Adjusting Spring and he had I adjust the barrel ratchet to lift a finger to get it work well.
That is a good fun!

Sebou
Old October 2, 2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Anyone ever do this? Where do you get the frame from? they seem to be hard to find.
Frames are not always easy to find. Keep haunting GB & Auction Arms & one will eventually pop up. I'm in the process of building a revolver from parts now. Got a complete Pietta frame assy w/hammer, hand, bolt, & trigger off of GB. Alreedy had cylinder, BS/TG, springs & screws. All I lack now is a barrel. Looking for a Sheriff model round barrel so I can have a short barreled Leech and Rigdon.

Happy hunting.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 3, 2010, 05:41 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Coupla points

Regarding Sebou's comment, which are always well thought out and well presented:

I am working on a pistol which will be a merger of a steel frame 1851 Navy in .36 and a brass frame G&G, also in .36. It will essentially be best described as a steel frame G&G or a round barreled Colt Navy. I am sure some of you will come up with some additional descriptions

The sources of the components for this pistol are so varied, I can not remember which came from where. I know that the barrel is from Navy Arms. The triggerguard and back strap (I think) are FIE. I don't know the manufacturer of the frame, nor the cylinder.

At this point, the pistol fits together well, line up and lock probably make it shootable (But there are no nipples in the cylinder).

I am taking photos as the project moves forward.

To Fingers:

Old Western Scrounger (Val Forgett III) frequently sells a Leech and Rigdon/G&G style barrel (.36 cal) on the GB and generally starts out at 19.00. If he lists the cylinder with it, the opening price is 29.00. That was the source of the barrel for the project described above.

You might want to call him and just ask if he has what you need.
Old October 3, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

Doc, I've gotten some parts from OWS in the past. He doesnt have anything listed right now that fits my criteria; but, giving him a buzz or sending an email is a good idea. Thanks.

BTW, a steel framed G&G or round barreled Colt Navy is known as a Leech & Rigdon, or Rigdon and Ansley, or C.H. Rigdon, Augusta Model.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 3, 2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

Fingers

This is good news.

I was not aware there was a historical prototype for a pistol such as this. I was in the process of posting to your photos over on BPS forum when I had to suddenly shift gears. I could not even finish the post or hit the send button. But this serves as my response to your post on both forums.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:28 AM   #12
sebou

HI all

Doc :
Quote:
Regarding Sebou's comment, which are always well thought out and well presented:
You are so kind, thanks you.
You have a nice project, and i will be happy to see your hybrid gun.
I hope you will put some pics here to see that !

Go ahead !

Seb
Old October 6, 2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

Seb

I have been really busy for the last couple weeks but when I get back to it I will put some photos up.