The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2001, 07:58 PM   #1
Jamie Young

I was in the middle of reloading tonight and I noticed that my Powder Measure leaks. Its a Lee Powder measure and after taking it apart I could see where the parts have worn away. Its all tightened up but powder drops out the side. Is it time to give it the old heave ho?
Old April 23, 2001, 08:03 PM   #2
beemerb

I think it is about time to scrap it.My RCBS is now allmost 40 yrs old and still going strong.How many rds it thrown I have no idea but 4 of us used it together at one time.This went on for about 10 yrs and I have had it alone sense then.Something to think about anyhow.
Old April 23, 2001, 08:12 PM   #3
Jamie Young

Well its a bottom of the line one, I'll get a better one next time. This one lasted about 4000rds.
Old April 24, 2001, 12:05 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

If it's one with the elastomeric "wipers," you should be able to get new ones from Lee for a few cents.

I've got probably 10,000 rounds through my Lee Auto Disk and it hasn't leaked a bit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 24, 2001, 04:58 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Can you guys give me any suggestions on what kind to get? I'm looking for a better one than I had. I usually order from Wideners but they don't really give detailed info on there website about products.
Old April 24, 2001, 05:02 PM   #6
Bogie

I'd give Lee a call - I've got one measure with MANY thousands of cycles, and one that just flat out leaked from cycle #1 when I use small ball powder. I haven't worried about it (I use that one for 4350), but hey...

If you're bound and determined to get a new one, I've got a VERY SLIGHTLY (one benchrest season) used RCBS Uniflow in the classifieds. Very good rifle measure, with a micrometer, stand, drop tube, adapter for large bottles, etc...

Old April 24, 2001, 05:36 PM   #7
Jamie Young

Ok let me check it out. Do you have a picture?
Old April 26, 2001, 12:29 AM   #8
MADISON

Phone or E-Mail Lee

Lee Precision does not have a toll free phone number, so they require that you pay for the call. The other alternative is to E-Mail them at
http://www.leeprecision.con

They have a 2 year guarantee on their products. After 2 years they will RE-CONDITION any of their products for 1/2 the current retail price.
Old April 26, 2001, 02:37 PM   #9
Bogie

My "for sale" measure is an RCBS Uniflow (viewable at the RCBS web site, more than likely, or via any number of outfits that sell 'em... It has the following enhancements: Bench stand, Sinclair drop tube, Sinclair bottle adapter, RCBS micrometer.