The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Mossberg 500 FTE

My buddy has a Mossy 500A "Regal." When he first sighted in the slug barrel there were a few (two I think) failure to extract problems. The empty shell was stuck in the chamber and had to be pried out with a knife blade.

The bird barrel has now displayed a similar problem. We were firing Federal 00 buck and a shell got stuck.

He cleans the barrels with a snake. I think that the chambers may have some built up crud. What do you think would be the best way to clean the chambers? Fine steel wool on a rod in a drill?

It seems to me that the other possible cause of this problem would be a weak extractor. The gun has seen less than 1000 shells. I have been there every time this problem has occurred (I'm bad luck) and it has happened twice with slugs, once with birdshot (in slug barrel) and once with 00 buck in the bird barrel.

So Is there anything you think I should try or check?
Old May 3, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
NovemberWhiskey870

feel around the inside of the barrel(s) for a burr that might be causing the shells to hang up and the extractor to be unable to pull them out. if there is a burr or crud stick some steel wool in a bore cleaning brush and chuck it in your drill and have at the chamber.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I clean my chambers with a bore brush on one section of rod like brushing teeth followed by the swab then I do the barrel as usual.
Brent
Old May 3, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Kmar40

May also need to clean the bolt and extractor itself. (He may have already done this, but I know many people who think "cleaning" a gun involves nothing more than running a couple of patches down the bore.)

Chamber buildup is probably the right answer though.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:42 PM   #5
roy reali