The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 24, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
gdeal

S&W Military & Police 9mm

Is the Smith & Wesson M&P just another way to say their version of the Glock? I thought the Military used the Barretta 92 Type F. And how many police departments actually use the S&W M&P? On that note, aren't the Glock, Springfield XD and S&W M&P pretty much all the same?
Old May 24, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
LoneStarWings

A lot of police departments do use the m&p, about 250 of them in the US. Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, Syracuse, and many various state agencies.

Yes, the glock, m&p, and xd are all very similair lines, but there are differences. I like the m&p because it's US made and seems to be the best of the 3 ergonomically.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I think that's a far over-simplification of the weapon... but yes, the 3 are what most would consider to be the 'big 3' polymer, law enforcement type side arms.

I have had Glocks. I currently have XD and M&P. The Glock is probably the most simple design out of the three. Less parts. Less things to go wrong(supposedly). While I never had any kind of malfunction with my Glocks at all, they are rather ergonomically challenged. People complain about the grip angle... that wasn't my issue at all... I like it a lot. It's just that it feels like i'm holding on to a giant Lego block. It's all personal preference though. My best friend has a Glock 22 that he says fits his hand like a glove. He tried everything before he bought it, too. He tested out M&P, XD, Sig, HK, Beretta, and more. With that said, the man is 6'4" with enormous gorilla hands.

Out of all of my guns, I LOVE the grip on the XD(M) 9mm. The XD is nice, but the XD(M) just cleans up and polishes an already well done design. The M&P is quite nice ergonomically as well. It's more of an oval shaped grip that fits quite nicely. I'm also a fan of how low the slide/barrel sit on M&P vs. the XD.

The design on the M&P 9c is absolutely fantastic. It conceals great. Even though it has a 3.5" barrel, it's still smaller overall than my XD-9SC.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
jman841

Just curious, are there any agencies that use the XD as thier service weapon? i know glocks, and M&P's are quite common.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:56 PM   #5
gglass

The M&P History:
The Smith & Wesson M&P (Military & Police) has always been a highly respected revolver from its introduction to today. Introduced in 1899, it became the standard by which every other medium-frame double-action revolver would be judged--as well as serving as the launching platform for one of the most influential handgun cartridges in history: the .38 S&W Special. The popularity of the M&P (aka Model 10) revolver grew so quickly that it was the most widely used police revolver in the free world.

The M&P line grew into a new brand of semi-auto handguns in 2006, and has become the biggest product launch in S&W's history. The company has been producing semi-auto handguns for more than 100 years, but it was not until 2006 that Smith & Wesson would roll out a semi-auto worthy of the M&P logo. Before embarking on the process of building a new pistol, S&W personnel conducted extensive interviews of law enforcement and military agencies, competitive shooters, and civilian gun owners. The information enabled engineers to include a number of features these varied groups thought were desirable. If you are going to build the finest modern tactical pistol, it is a good idea to get input of those who will use it.

The NEW M&P semi-auto really is a worthy heir to the brand's name and reputation... With 107 years on the making, the M&P is what I would call perfection.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:26 PM   #6
M&P40

I carry an M&P 40 and also shoot IDPA with it. Where as my dad carries the XDm 9mm. We never did agree on much!
Old May 25, 2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Only S&W and Me

I love my .40c!
Old May 25, 2009, 08:07 PM   #8
ritepath

I love my 9c....

I carry it everywhere...even mowing the grass. I'm trying to figure out how to wear it in the pool this summer.

M&P-pistol.com for everything M&P
Old May 25, 2009, 11:43 PM   #9
odsixer

+1 m&p
Old May 26, 2009, 08:13 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

as much as all handguns are similar

S&W uses a steel 'chassis' to maintain precise fire control dimensions; numerous choices offer adjustable backstraps; some allow for no trigger activation for disassembly; some offer manual safeties, or ambidextreous magazine or slide releases; bore axis differences....

And one must include Taurus and Ruger and FN and Beretta and HK and whomever-I've-missed in this question.

They're all good (except the Taurus brand; here we go ).