The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
BigDinOC

sight painting

What type of paint do you use for coloring your sights? Nail polish, model paint, etc?

Thanks
Old March 14, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I like the fluorescent paint I bought for my fishing lures. a teeny bit goes a long ways. For those sights I'm not to sure I want permanently painted I just use white out. When I don't want it on anymore it wipes off with my thumb.

Got mine from Cabela's but I'm sure you can get it anywhere they sell paint for hobbyists.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 15, 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
CowTowner

I use automotive touch up paint. The small "pen with brush" type you can get at almost any auto parts store.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 15, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Pahoo

Wal-Mart sells an appliance touch up paint in a small bottle with internal brush. It is made by Rustoleum and sells for just over a couple of bucks. That is what I use when just white is required. I also use this as the base coat whenever I apply a red fluorescent coat.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 15, 2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Doyle

I use cheap Testors brand model airplane paint in bright white. Works fine and comes off with ordinary acetone without harming the bluing.
Old March 15, 2010, 06:53 PM   #6
BlackUp

I am a big fan of the white-out method. I have fixed black sights that I wouldn't want to offend with anything more permanent. Not a great method for for carry though!
I'll have to try that model paint... thanks for that Doyle.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
PetahW

I've used BRIGHT SIGHTS sight paint, ever since they were introduced about 15 years ago, with excellent results.

I bought the kit with several colors, and still haven't used it all up.