The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 9, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Use an oily patch after 15-20 rds., or solvent each time?

It has puzzled me whether Hoppe's #9 or Shooter's Choice is overkill after a very limited number of rounds.

Am experienced with cleaning out corrosive primer residue (boiling water/dry), but how about simply shooting a handful of Prvi reloads in the Lee-Enfields etc?

Will an oily patch push out enough powder residue to prevent erosion in the bores, but after about 50-100 rounds or so, strong solvent is required?
Old February 10, 2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Tikirocker

Hey Ig,

I clean every weapon after firing, no matter how many shots have been fired. Carbon build up can cause all kinds of problems that you don't want, especially around the throat, so if you care about accuracy and the condition of your barrels then I suggest you give the standard cleaning regimen every time.

An oily patch won't get near enough powder res out to be satisfactory ... we don't love it, but cleaning is a part of being a good shooter.

Best, Tiki.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:54 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Am experienced with cleaning out corrosive primer residue (boiling water/dry), but how about simply shooting a handful of Prvi reloads in the Lee-Enfields etc?
I wouldn't worry about any build up while shooting for the day, Enfields have a chamber big enough to park a truck in. Of course a good cleaning at the end of the day is needed. I'll use a bore cleaning solvent every hundred rounds or so. If you go out and pop off twenty rounds a few patches down the pipe are fine. Corrosive ammo is a different story.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4
30cal_Fun

"I clean every weapon after firing, no matter how many shots have been fired"
+1

any amount of powder residue can cause unwanted rust and/or build up in the barrel, I have a mosin Nagant 91/30 (I shoot corrosive '67 Czech surplus ammo) and I clean after every trip to the firing range. never had any problems, but i don't want to know what would happen if I leave it standing for even a day :S
I clean with Balistol btw, no water, or any kind of extra solvent needed, it's definitely worth trying.

take care, Louis
Old February 10, 2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Fullthrottle

No matter the gun C&R or a new one, Clean after every shooting session! You do want to make your money last don't you? If not, go ahead and neglect that gun, see how long it lasts!
Just saying!
Old February 12, 2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Ignition Override

Having done it each time except once, waited about four days to clean the Mini 30, having been focused more on the immediate needs after using corrosive ammo in the LEs and Mauser etc.

No exceptions were ever made with those nasty 'salts'.
Thanks very much for the clarification of the 'big picture'.
Old February 20, 2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about any build up while shooting for the day, Enfields have a chamber big enough to park a truck in.
I agree. The amount of powder residue in the barrel after the 50th shot is not significantly more than after the 1st. The jacked bullet does a pretty good job of wiping the powder residue out of the bore each firing. Copper fouling can build up and must be addressed if it's a problem.