The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Woody55

Carrying at the Office

I work in an office.

The dress code is pretty much business casual. Dress slacks, tucked in shirt with a collar, belt etc.

I am looking for concealed carry techniques for something bigger than a pocket pistol. Say a Glock 27.

Yes, I could wear a sport jacket, but it's really hot in the summers and I'd like to use the same technique year round.

Ideas?
Old January 15, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
MLeake

tuckable holster.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Grant D

You could get a Crossbreed Super tuck for your Glock.

I use the Crossbreed Minituck with my Ruger LC9.
I like it because you can tuck your shirt in over your handgun and I've
never had anyone notice the clips over my belt.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
BikeNGun1974

Briefcase holster and a locking file cabinet.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
BarryLee

Not a big fan, but you could try an ankle holster.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 15, 2013, 02:16 PM   #6
dayman

I actually like ankle holsters, but I find it's hard to conceal (well at least) anything much bigger than a pocket pistol on your ankle. Unless maybe you start rocking bell bottoms.
I've had good luck with a tuckable IWB. I find at 5:00 it just dissapears into my "shirt billow" or whatever you'd call it even with a reasonably fitted shirt. Also, people generally try to keep their eyes of their co-workers butts, so you get a bonus level of concealment.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Alabama Shooter

I am jealous. I work in a strict no carry zone. Only a year left to go on that though.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Woody55

I've never tried the tuckable holster. I had to find a youtube video to understand how it worked. I guess I could try that.

I have tried an ankle holster. It always ended up resting on my shoe. I guess I have skinny calves and/or ankles. Or a lousy holster.

Locked in a file cabinet is certainly secure and concealed. With my luck something would happen while I'm in the other part of the office.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Jack19

Are they going to fire you if they find out you're carrying?
Old January 15, 2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Vests.

"I need extra pockets."
Old January 15, 2013, 08:38 PM   #11
jglsprings

Quote:
Briefcase holster and a locking file cabinet
When I can't cover up I do this. My desk locks and my carry hides in a daytimer.

Commas save lives...
Old January 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Dragline45

Some carry a glock 26/27 in an ankle rig, personally I think it's a little large for an ankle gun. Your best bet is what your doing and sticking to a pocket pistol. You can always get a lockbox for your car and keep a full size in there. As far as tuckable holsters for work attire, I don't know about some of you but my business attire allows no room for a IWB holster without being extremely noticeable. You cant really go up in size in dress slacks to accommodate an IWB holster like you can with jeans without looking sloppy and unprofessional, same goes for the shirt. There's a reason people get dress slacks and shirts tailored and not their jeans, there supposed to fit snug.
Quote:

I have tried an ankle holster. It always ended up resting on my shoe. I guess I have skinny calves and/or ankles. Or a lousy holster.
Find one with a retention strap, this will hold it in place and prevent it from sliding down and resting on your shoe. The Galco Ankle Glove is one of the better ankle rigs out there and has the option of the retention strap. That actually looks to be a glock 26/27 in the photo.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #13
bt380

Find out the HR rules about carrying a gun in your work place. Jeopardizing your career, investments, and security for your family may not be prudent. Examine your perspective. If the rest of the folks aren't packing.... If others are packing...go bigger....
Old January 15, 2013, 11:45 PM   #14
ncpatriot

Someone mentioned a tuckable. I looked into the Smart Carry awhile back, goes down in crotch. Supposedly will conceal anything from a snubby to a 1911. I need to trim a few pounds before trying it. Google up Smart Carry holster & check it out.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Are they going to fire you if they find out you're carrying?
I don't carry at work it is illegal.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

Wishing I could carry at work... .

I have a Comp Tac CTAC that is tuckable, pretty much makes my XD disappear.

My buddy uses an ankle holster for his Glock. The thing he really likes about it is that no one looks at your ankle. It's soooo far below eye level.

One thing about tucking a holstered gun is that it is kinda slow to access it. I get tall shirts so they stay tucked in better, but it makes it real tough to get to your gun. Honestly, you may not have the firepower with a pocket gun, but at least I can deploy a pocket gun much faster then a tucked holster. Plus, with the size of some new smart phones a gun in a pocket holster would not be as noticible as a bulge in the small of your back or on your hip.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Woody55

Thanks for all the suggestions.

No, I'm not going to get fired if I carry at work.

Yes, forgeting tuckable, I have to buy larger waist pants to wear and inside the beltline holster and they do look sloppy.

Sounds like the ankle holster with the retention strap is worth looking into. I'm not that concerned about a fast draw. If I'm that surprised, I'm probably dead anyway. They idea is not to be that surprised.

And the pocket pistol has worked for a long time. I can always keep doing it.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Vermonter

What I do

80 % of the time my work attire allows for boots, jeans, an untucked button up shirt etc etc. I wear jackets alot when out but in the office I am usually wearing the above. In that case I can do the G27 in a remora IWB and even a 13 round G23 mag in a carrier on the weak side.

10% of the time I can do almost the same thing but with less of a cover shirt. In that case it is ia Smith 642 no lock in my pocket and spare ammo in the truck and desk

The other 10% of the time is true professional dress with an LCP in the pocket and an extra mag to boot. On those days something else is waiting for me in the truck should I need it god forbid.

Our climate dictates that even the most professional folks need to wear winter outterwear most of the year. That provides alot of leeway.

The decision on weather or not to carry seems like a whole other issue that only you can weigh. I made my decision good luck with yours.

Regards, Vermonter
Old January 17, 2013, 05:44 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Theis IWB (a CBST clone): http://theisholsters.com/
Aker B21 belt: http://www.akerleather.com/
Old January 18, 2013, 12:09 AM   #20
Big-Blue

Interesting thread, but for many like myself, they find themselves working in a no carry environment. Unless I'm willing to lose my job and my career (which my family depends upon) I cannot carry. However, the state I live in states that my employer cannot keep me from having a firearm in my personal vehicle.

As for personal protection in the workplace I guess I'm going to have to identify in advance escape routes, and position non-lethal objects around which can be put to a lethal dual-use when needed.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:12 AM   #21
The Great Mahoo

Tuckable holsters are great. You can always modify your dress, too.

I wear vests a lot; a good way to class-up an otherwise casual get up of jeans and a sport-shirt, and looks great with a suit. Lets me conceal an IWB holster, tuckable or not, with ease.

I don't carry at work anymore. Changed jobs and now its a no-no.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:26 AM   #22
MarkDozier

Cross Breed Super tuck. hard to beat I paid 45 from the seconds list and love it.