The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2001, 11:22 AM   #1
Larz

Please Help me Shoot my First Reload

Alright... I have had my reloading equipment for almost a half a year now. I have the process down for reloading for my 308 and 44 mag.

I have loaded about 5 rounds of 308 but I think I need to redo them before I put them through my brand new 10fp. I am using 42gr of IMR4895 behind 169gr sierra BT Match... The only problem is that I am using Lake City Match Brass. I heard that these are lower capacity. Some people tell me to just shoot the 42gr stuff. Should I just shoot my reloads that I have made so far or should I back off the charge. Basically please tell me what is a good starting load in LC brass behind 169gr Sierra Match Bullet. Also any suggestions on an overall lenght would be appreciated.

I really need to get out and break my gun in cause its varmint season and my new rifle isnt getting any action.

Thanks in advance, Larz
Old June 19, 2001, 11:30 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

I show that as bein within half grain of MAX with civillian brass. One rule of thumb is to back off two grains when usin military brass. I'd pull em. Start with a lighter load and work up gently, lookin for the load that is sweet in your gun. Your best load will probably be something less than max.

Have fun, Sam
Old June 19, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Long Path

Heed the man's words.

You show good instincts by reconsidering, and doing your research. While you're at it, back off five grains, and put together 25 rounds in groups of 5 that increase in 0.5g increments. That way you can get a better feel for what your rifle likes.

I've a friend who found that his .257 Rbts shoots just DANDY at 20% under max. He loaded up about 100 rds of it, and never considered another load. Smart guy. Preserves the bore, gave good groups, and less smack (it was a featherweight rifle) to his wife and daughter, who hunted with it. Sure, he could've tried (quite unsuccessfully) to load his .257 Rbts up to act like a .25-'06, but WHY? He had a nice load that was more efficient with his powder. Interesting note-- when my wife went to hunt deer for the first time, it was with one of my buddy's reduced-load .257s that she used. (one shot at 95 yds seemed to do the job just fine, BTW).

Even with robust magnum rifles like my Sendero .300 Win Mag, I start off low and work up. What if I were to miss a superb load by going straight to "Max"? With modern centerfire rifles, getting that extra 100 fps isn't nearly as important as getting that extra .5 MOA, IMHO.

Good luck!

--L.P.
Old June 19, 2001, 12:53 PM   #4
Bogie

With that brass and those bullets, I'd start at 39 grains of 4895, and work up in half-grain increments. Play at 200-300 yards if possible, and look for when the vertical dispersion goes away.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 21, 2001, 11:34 AM   #5
stuckatwork

I'm going to throw a curve here, buut my military ammo books say that M852 Lake City .308 Match ammo is loaded as follows:

168 grain BTHP bullet
42 grains of IMR 4895
Cartridge OAL: 2.83
Velocity @ 75 feet 2550 FPS
Chamber pressure: 50,000 psi

That one grain difference between your bullet and this one doesn't make any difference. Unless you do not trust your rifle, shoot the five rounds.
If you don't trust your rifle, don't put anything through it.

Then, go back and start building your accuracy load. KEEP GOOD NOTES. Another rule of thumb to remember is middle of road bullet with a middle of the road powder charge gives good accuracy.

good luck and happy shooting
Old June 21, 2001, 01:53 PM   #6
Bogie

Just remember - it ain't a speed race - A 165 gr. bullet moving at 2700 fps isn't gonna kill Bambi any deader than one moving at 2600... The best thing to concentrate on is working up a load, looking for the accuracy "sweet spots" as you increase the charge. If you're lucky, your rifle will shoot accurate and fast...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!