The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2014, 09:03 AM   #1
kilotanker22

Trophy Bonded Tipped??

Hello everyone,

Today at walmart I found some 300 wsm ammo federal vital shock 180 grain trophy bonded tipped bullets.

They were only 42 bucks ( I know that sounds like a lot ) but seemed well priced for them. My question is how are those bullets? And how will they perform on deer sized animals.

The ogive seems to be ski bed to promote expansion.

Also yes I do load my own ammo but tend to shoot factory ammo to get accustomed to the guns until I have a fair amount of brass mounded up?

Any info on this bullet would be appreciated. Once I have a ton of brass I will most likely be loading 180 grain game kings but curious as to how these bullets will perform and whether or not they would reliably expand on cxp2 weight game.

On a side note I noticed on federals website that the 300 wsm with this bullet only has 80 feet per second on the 30-06 with same bullet. Seems kinda fast for a 180 in an 06 don't you think?
Old March 14, 2014, 03:23 PM   #2
nemesiss45

I just read an article in.... one of my gun magazines (I can check which one if you care) which compared about 8 of the top hunting bullets. It was tilted toward close range expansion, but also looked at long range impact as well. The author had nothing bad to say about the trophy bonded tip. Great penetration and expension regardless of range. I wish they offered them as a component.