The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

H&R 999 - Cylinder Retention Problem

A friend recently inherited an H&R model 999 "Sportsman" .22 cal. top break revolver. This gun is in excellent shape, but there is one small problem: When the gun is opened, instead of the ejector popping the empties out, the whole cylinder pops out.

There is a notch at the base of the cylinder arbor near the cylinder face. It appears that there is a part missing there that retains the cylinder. Numrich has an exploded view here, but I can't figure out which part actually retains the cylinder (not to mention that trying to trace what goes where in these drawings makes me dizzy .)

So here's the two-part question: Which part(s) does she need, and can this be remedied without a gunsmith? A search here revealed that these guns can be a nightmare to work on, and I can assure you, I'm no gunsmith.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 1, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It doesn't have a pin, like the 929 my wife has. I think you need the cylinder catch. See if it isn't just missing? Numrich part #272280, number 9 on the diagram.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 1, 2011, 05:52 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
999 Cylinder Catch

Your Cylinder Catch is probably missing or Broken . They are available from GunParts Corp for a paltry $4.25 . They do require a little fitting though . It goes in a slot in front of the Cylinder on the left side of the frame , where that little notch is . I just replaced one day before yesterday ! Piece of cake you shouldnt need anything but a File .
Old May 1, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Hawg

This is an older one but I think the part is about the same. i think you can see it in this pic ok. It's a spring loaded catch.

Old May 2, 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Actually the whole catch is a spring , the new one you get will be long but try it first .
Old May 3, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks tons, guys! I'll be ordering the part in the next day or two, but I hope y'all stick around so you can hear my cry for help when I try to install it .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 4, 2011, 07:31 AM   #7
oneoldsap

PM me if you'd like and I can walk you through it , its quite simple !
Old May 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Alrighty then, I got the catch from Numrich today. Tiny little thing, I can see how it could easily be lost.

From the exploded view, it appears that the "hook" on the spring faces aft, with the hook opening facing outward from the gun. Is that correct?

Quote:
PM me if you'd like and I can walk you through it , its quite simple
I may just take you up on that, Oneoldsap. I used to tinker with stuff like this all the time, but over the last few years, it seems like I have trouble figuring out how to put a paper clip on paper . Besides, I can hear my gunsmith now: "Looks like he screwed up another one".

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 19, 2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Much ado about nothing

I tell ya guys; any more, when I work on something, I expect a half-hour job to turn into a half-day, or worse. When I work on my Jeep, it ends up that I always need a special tool, or I got the wrong part, or I busted off a bolt, etc. etc.

Or putting together the kid's bicycle. Parts missing, holes don't line up, etc.

So when I started on this, in spite of what you guys said, I expected a lot of fussin' & cussin'. I sat down to this with determination, a set jaw, and a deep sigh.

Well, it took me all of about 30 seconds. Open gun, remove cylinder, insert cylinder catch, replace cylinder, close gun.... FIXED! The catch was a perfect fit, no filing required.

So many thanks to all that replied; my confidence is restored (at least until the next fixit job on the Jeep )

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 19, 2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Hawg

Congrats on a job well done.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:02 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Job Well Done !

Yes Sir , that's why I said " try it first " .
Old May 19, 2011, 08:03 PM   #12
publius

I don't have anything constructive to add except that I have always wanted one. Gonna have to do it one day. How is the accuracy?
Old May 20, 2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys!

publius, the gun isn't mine and I haven't fired it (yet ). From what I've read though, this model was and still is very popular. All of the reviews I've seen claim good accuracy.

--Capt. Charlie