The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Bob4

Should I?

Hello all ,
Brand new here but need advise on buying my first press which I think I have in my sights.
My story. Went to the range to sight in and all was fine at 100 and 200 yds. Then I needed a new box of ammo. . All of a sudden I was 2 inches low and the same to the right with 8 rounds in a 1 inch pattern. . Looked at my buddy and he said. " That's why I reload. So I get it now. If I make x amount a yr sight it in and I'm good for a while. Come time to make more I need to re-sight in. I don't mind at all.
Here's my general plan to start. I'm thinking a single stage press is fine. I have no ambitions to turn out hundreds of rounds a hr. Take my time, learn from my friend do 1 thing at a time do it well and move on.
I deer hunt. and use a .270. . I want to load ( at this point) 100-150 rounds a yr. That's all that I will use. I am looking for better accuracy than store bought ammo. I get to hunt seldom so my shots need to count.
Here's what im looking at. Rock crusher small press,
some AR mags .. brass of all sorts.. 1200 Primers... Dies for 270. 30.06... 9mm and .45
6 1 lb cans of powder. De capping tool for Military brass. bullet puller. Molds for a few different rounds. 200.00
Seems a deal to me to get started. But what do you with more experience think?
Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Bob
Old October 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
603Country

Also Need: calipers, case trimmer, primer seater, deburr tool. Others will remember the things I forgot.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Bob4

Yup! I know there's more I'll need. Was just wondering if peeps thought for 200 bucks this was a good way to get started with what I was getting for that price.
A 3 die set for 270 arrived today.

Last edited by Bob4; October 5, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

Powder measure,bullet puller all I can ad right now ; )
Y/D
Old October 5, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Bob4

Has a bullet puller and a de-capping tool and a measuring tool. Not sure if that's for powder or TL . We'll see. I think I've talked myself into it.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Vance

Quote:
Bob4 Hello all ,
Brand new here but need advise on buying my first press which I think I have in my sights.
My story. Went to the range to sight in and all was fine at 100 and 200 yds. Then I needed a new box of ammo. . All of a sudden I was 2 inches low and the same to the right with 8 rounds in a 1 inch pattern. . Looked at my buddy and he said. " That's why I reload. So I get it now. If I make x amount a yr sight it in and I'm good for a while. Come time to make more I need to re-sight in. I don't mind at all.
Here's my general plan to start. I'm thinking a single stage press is fine. I have no ambitions to turn out hundreds of rounds a hr. Take my time, learn from my friend do 1 thing at a time do it well and move on.
I deer hunt. and use a .270. . I want to load ( at this point) 100-150 rounds a yr. That's all that I will use. I am looking for better accuracy than store bought ammo. I get to hunt seldom so my shots need to count.
Here's what im looking at. Rock crusher small press,
some AR mags .. brass of all sorts.. 1200 Primers... Dies for 270. 30.06... 9mm and .45
6 1 lb cans of powder. De capping tool for Military brass. bullet puller. Molds for a few different rounds. 200.00
Seems a deal to me to get started. But what do you with more experience think?
Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Bob
$200.00 for all you listed here is a steal. Go get it now. Or tell me where it is so I can go get it.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:29 PM   #7
sidewindr

When I started last century,(thats sounds old) ,I got the Rock Chucker supreme starter kit, it had all the littler things you generally have to buy later anyway(brass chamfer tool, brass brush{large & small},powder funnels,loading manual,beam scale{a good one},powder measure,press w/primer system,allen wrench set,case trimmer,brass vibra cleaner+media), all I needed was the dies . It is a little more initially but you'll end up buying it all anyway. I still use most of the stuff to this day, even though I have a progressive also now. I believe my kit was $230.00 +/- back then.

If you get your deal also, you can always sell the "extra" press from your deal on Ebay or someplace for maybe $80-$100, if it is a true Rock chucker.The rest of the pieces is worth the other $100.00 easlily. Just another option.

Last edited by sidewindr; October 5, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Everything sounded great until you mentioned the handgun calibers.

If you get into reloading for handgun, you will likely want more than the 50 per hour your single stage press is likely to produce at maximum output.

An autoindexing turret press is worthy of consideration (in addition to your single stage). You will probably want to add that later.

But the "kit" you listed looks good for now. I loaded for several years on a single stage for my handguns. It just took more time. I started with the RCBS Jr. Then got a chance on a used RockChucker (which is overkill for my purposes and for your calibers, too, but a REALLY nice press). There is also the RCBS Partner. Which one is in your sights? They will all do, but I am curious.

I did not see a scale in your inventory. Extremely important. Even if you have a powder measure, you want to check your measure's settings against the charge weight listed in your manuals' recipes. Almost all reloaders have more than one manual, too.

Welcome to loading and thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old October 6, 2012, 04:46 AM   #9
1stmar

I think it should be noted that when you change components you can see differences in impact. At some point you will need another pound of powder (different lot), assitional primers(different lot) and certainly new brass. Even if you keep the same types you may change your poi.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Maligator

I agree, that's a good deal. Go ahead and pull the trigger
Old October 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Lennyjoe

Like most of my hobbies, I started out cheap. Lee single stage press, assorted tools and measuring devices and plenty of reading. Rolled out rounds and was hooked.

Now I've upgraded equipment and roll multiple rounds in rifle and pistol. Only ammo I buy over the counter is 9mm but that's because I only own one 9mm pistol in a Kel-Tec PF9.

Reloading is definitely worth the time for me. Welcome to the club.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Edward429451

Good plan. I third the notion that you should spring for a Rockchucker press instead of the smaller Partner press. The RC is ten times the press that the Partner is and isn't that much more. Even a used RC would be a better option. You're loading some pretty tall brass there with the 270 & /06 and your results will be more uniform, and done with less effort with the RC.

Don't scrimp on the scale either. The choices you make at this point will set you up for either frustration and a longer learning curve, or trouble free uniform results with a shorter learning curve. Good luck, and welcome to the madness, lol.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Bob4

Thanks all. I did take that used partner. Got a bunch for the $200 bucks. But to be honest it was all just tossed in a bag and some of it in in rough shape. Although the press seems just fine. Looks like a dog chewed on a handle or 2 of the molds. ( which I will not be using) The dies were all on the bottom of the bag with the cases that they belonged in on top of them. Had to wire wheel most of them. Haven't even looked to close to see what was there. A few hundred rounds of ammo . Everything from .22, 30 cal, 223, 308 ,30-06 even found a 450 marlin. 50-60 rounds of 45 cal bullets. Also about $80. just in Winchester large rifle primers and large pistol. After I got home and looked through it there were 6 partially used 1lb powders. Then I thought if he took such care of everything how good can the powder be? Probably won't use it.
To my friends house I went and together we made 5 different loads (6 rds ea) for the 270 with 5 different powders. Can't wait to shoot them and see how they group. I'll probably hang around and lurk and learn a bit.
Thanks again.
Bob