The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1
guruatbol

Multiple cartridge sizes

I had read many many many years ago that you could reload several cartridge sizes with the same set of dies.

I have not been reloading long by myself, but 25 years ago I started with a friend and then took a break of say 20 years. I recently bought a Dillon 550B and a RCBS single stage. The person I got it from included dies for 45 ACP, 44, 40, 223 and 308.

Though I have all of those calibers in the safe and shoot them when I can, I have a few I would like to load.

45-70, 45LC, 300 SAV, 300 WinMag, 30-30 and 30-06.

Since I already have the above dies in both Dillon brand and RCBS brand for both presses respectively, I would like to know if any of the dies I have could be used for other cartridges.

My thought is that I would need to buy sizing dies which would require additional parts to what I have. The 30 SAV for instance takes a .308 projectile and there are many people who make cases from 308 brass. So, the crimping die and the seating die should be the same, maybe even the sizing die too, but the priming die may be wrong.

Any help from the more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Mel
Old March 12, 2014, 03:28 PM   #2
TATER

You really can't make a Blanket statement like that.
While true for some calibers, it is not something I would recommend for beginners.
Get a good foundation. With time, It will however, come to be second nature. But, for now, I would buy
the appropriate dies for the caliber you need.
Old March 12, 2014, 04:28 PM   #3
chiefr

308 & 300 Sav use the same bullet but you will not be able to crimp/seat unless you have correct die.

You need the respective die set for the rifle bullets you load.
There is some cross utilization of dies with straight walled carts.
IE: 38Spl & 357Mag, 44Spl & 44MAg.
Old March 12, 2014, 08:10 PM   #4
guruatbol

Thanks, I am not looking to do anything tricky, just don't want to buy dies that I don't have to.

I knew about the 38 and 357 as well as the 44spl and mag.

The hard thing for me is all the different 30 cal rounds. I have so many different cartridges...I just had remembered this article once upon a long time ago and wasn't sure.

You have answered my question, thank you!

Mel
Old March 13, 2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Wayne_E

Plus you won't be saving much. For example in 300 win mag Midway has the RCBS sizer for 30.99 and the 2 die set with sizer and seater for 34.99.
Old March 13, 2014, 09:37 PM   #6
guruatbol

Yep, ACE hardware has them for the same price too. So I need to just man up and buy some more dies or get rid of some calibers.

Wait! What in the world am I saying? No way can I get rid of any of my babies! I need them, well want them!

Mel
Old March 13, 2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I only load for pistol. So I'm not going to speak to your rifle dies.

45 ACP dies can usually be used to load 45 GAP - which is great for 45 GAP shooters. All six of them

44 - I assume you mean 44 Remington Magnum. Usually 44 Mag dies will also load 44 Special. And sometimes 44 Russian.

40 - I assume you mean 40 S&W. Usually 40 S&W dies will also load 10mm Auto.
Old March 15, 2014, 12:20 PM   #8
guruatbol

Nick, 45 GAP LOL. I do wish I could use my 45 acp dies to load 45 LC. I have to save my allowance for the dies now. I also don't like to shoot non jacketed or plated rounds, so I don't fire my 45LC revolvers much. I want to get back to shooting them, because the indoor range here is a lost range and I can at least keep my brass when I shoot the revolvers.

The dies for 40 S&W say they are for 10mm.

I guess I just thought I would try to multitask. Now I know that is only a computer thing.

I do learn so much from this forum.

Mel