The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 4, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
GermanShep

Staging a weapon in the bathroom

Hello,

As part of my home defense strategy, I have decided I would like to keep a firearm, most likely a handgun because of space considerations, in my master bathroom. My concern with doing this is the humidity that the shower produces causing damage to the firearm or ammunition over time, possibly rendering it likely to malfunction.
My first thought was some type of stainless steel revolver but I know that they are not completely impervious to rust. I am also concerned about the effects that humidity could have on the ammunition over time.
One idea that I had that might be strange is keep the weapon sealed in a freezer bag but tucked in a holster of some type, requiring you to draw from the holster and then open the bag to use it.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Anyone keep loaded firearms in an especially humid environment? Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Mystro

A Glock 26 or 27 is what you want. I keep one permantly in my ATV lock box. Its my beater gun and it still looks new. Don't use a freezer bag. Use a basic nylon holster tucked in your medicine cabinet or under your sink. Store it without a bullet in the chamber.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old November 4, 2013, 10:51 PM   #3
RBid

Put it in an enclosed container that doesn't "sweat", with desiccant packets. Glock, M&P, HK, Sig, and Walther finishes are all corrosion resistant. I would go full frame, since it's not a ccw. If you're having to arm yourself in the bathroom, the circumstance is probably ugly enough for a service weapon.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:15 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Tupperware...
Old November 4, 2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Slopemeno

At my gunsmithing shop we called them the "growler gun". We kept a Masonic sword in there too, but good luck swinging a Masonic sword in a bathroom the size of a closet...

We always left your basic 5-shot pump shotgun in there- always blued- though to be fair there wasn't a shower in there. It was a Model 31 for a while, then a Model 97 for a few years. Once in a while I'd wipe the exterior down with some Breakfree, but the maintenance didn't get much more involved than that.

The ammo in those shotguns must have been 20 years old when I got there, and as we slowly used it up test firing, whatever, and it never failed to fire.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Dragline45

I have thought about doing this seeing as the one place in your home you are likely to get caught off guard and out of reach of a pistol if you need one is your bathroom. If I do I will probably pick up a used airweight J frame or SR9C which can be had for fairly cheap and mount it behind the porcelain throne.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:46 AM   #7
BoogieMan

I would think any of the plastic guns would work fine. Chambered for a milsurp round. You will likely have coated and sealed ammo choices. Then check it every 6 months or so to make sure your not getting any corrosion.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 5, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8
CWKahrFan

Quote:
...and mount it behind the porcelain throne.
...Kinda like Michael Corleone in the Godfather?...
Old November 5, 2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Bezoar

actually there are better ways to have a handgun at the ready in the toilet room.

Get yourself a REAL 50 cal ammo can, the kind the us gov feeds ma duece belted candy from. Get one of the cheapest holster rigs that screws into the bed frame and install it into the ammo can. insert handgun, fill remaining space with speed loaders or spare magaziens. that rubber gasket will keep it fresh a long time.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Garycw

I understand your concern, because that's were I feel the most at risk. The other is mowing a large yard. I CC when mowing.
When showering and alone I always arm alarm system and have a pistol in freezer bag with desiccant in the vanity. It's simply secured with bent wire coat hanger and one screw.
Old November 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #11
weblance

Are you actually going to put a pistol somewhere in the bathroom and then forget about it for the next 40 years and expect it to be in pristine condition? Have you considered any kind of maintenance? I know you said revolver, but the Ruger P series stainless slide, poly frame guns would be perfect. They are almost entirely stainless steel internally, including the magazines, and would be a good choice. Consider taking a look at your bathroom gun periodically, and see whats happening to it.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:35 PM   #12
aarondhgraham

And I was called silly,,,

Because I mentioned this same thing one time.

I once watched a TV show where they were interviewing convicted felons,,,
One guy said he always watched for the bathroom light to come on,,,
That was the moment he knew he could break in unopposed.

So, I started leaving a handgun in the bathroom,,,
Mine is in a freezer bag with a few desiccant packets,,,
But I don't forget that it is there and periodically maintain it.

The gun used to be a S&W model 10,,,
I've since given that gun to a friend as a gift,,,
Now the gun is a 3" Stainless Charter Arms .44 Special,,,
It lives on a small shelf that I hung behind the commode tank.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 5, 2013, 12:36 PM   #13
BarryLee

It seems to me any modern handgun would work fine. Simple take it out every six months, shoot it, give it a good cleaning and fresh ammo.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 5, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Garycw

Asrond makes a good point about observation. Many years ago there was a string of burglaries taking place when someone was in back mowing. Especially if it was someone that lived alone. That's the same kind of scenario as watching the bathroom light come on for an extended time. Plus you'd be much more defenseless. Not really silly at all. I'm more concerned about security when showering or mowing (2-3 acres) than when in bed asleep.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:43 PM   #15
GermanShep

Alot of good ideas so far. Just a few points of clarification....

I do not intended on just throwing the gun in the bathroom and never checking it or maintaining it. I fully anticipate to shoot and clean the weapon regularly. I like the idea of having it in the bathroom because the way our house is layed out, it is a room we would likely use as a "safe room" in the event of a break in or home invasion, God forbid. This would not be the only firearm, or the first choice in such a scenario but rather as a back-up or possibly for my wife to use.

A major concern of mine would be the viability of the ammunition when stored in a humid environment. I have heard of nickel plated brass that can withstand humidity to a point, but I would be afraid of the primer failing to ignite. Any thoughts on this? Someone mentioned "sealed rounds", I'm not familiar with this though. Thanks for all of the input!
Old November 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Because I mentioned this same thing one time.
You and I both! My thread was even shutdown.

I always have my gun on me. Except when I'm showering and sleeping. It's 1-2ft away from me. Nightstand and toilet. I don't keep one in there because they're way too many guests(family) that come through.
Old November 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #17
spacemanspiff

Know how they say if you get your phone wet put it in a bowl with rice, cause the rice will absorb the moisture? Why not put your gun in a box of rice? That should keep moisture off the gun, right?
Old November 6, 2013, 08:02 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

Aaron, I watched the same program, and told a couple of female co-workers about it that week. One has purchased a second pistol, now on some folded towels on a shelf near the shower !

As I recall, the jailbirds were not just felons, but rapists. One said he waited until the victim got up in the morning, let the cat outside, then hit the shower. He got in the house through the unlocked patio door the victim had thoughtfully unlocked for him moments ago.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:28 AM   #19
lamarw

There have been several posted discussing on this discussion in the past. A similar question is staging a firearm in a closet. The consensus is if its a safe room, then by all means.

Past discussion had gotten to somewhat ridiculous of having a gun in the shower. Then the pros and cons were discussed about humidity and the effects upon the firearm. There was always the discussion of sealing it in a zip-lock bag.

All I can say is do what is right for your situation. I have a former State Trooper 12 gauge shotgun with a 20 inch barrel loaded with an 8 round magazine in my bedroom within two feet of the master bath. With this much firepower, I do not see myself holding up in the bathroom. I am going out to see who has violated the drawbridge to my castle and stand my ground.
Old November 7, 2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Valerko

Store it low to the floor and learn to use bathroom fan and let it run 10-15 min after the shower. Preferably upgrade your fan to more cfm.
Then you'd won't have to worry about the gun or the ammo. Definitely not with the gun like Glock or M&P
Old November 8, 2013, 02:10 AM   #21
leadcounsel

This is very good food for thought. It does happen:

Female attacked in shower by burglar:
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Frien...193446281.html

Woman attacked in shower:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/woman...ck-home/nJTfP/

Consider what you would do if, literally, you were in the buff and with the water running down and someone attacked you in the shower. Would you have time or ability to retrieve your sidearm from a box, or the master bedroom?

Perhaps something more immediately available? Maybe a KBar knife in a kydex sheath in the shower, hanging under the showerhead. It's a $50 tool, nearly impervious to rust if you keep it oiled every few months. These things survived the jungles of 'Nam, I'm sure they can handle your shower.

I also like the ziplock bag with silica packets. Right there in the shower. Take the gun out every 6 months to inspect, clean, oil, etc. Swap out the ammo.

In the big picture - early warning so you don't get caught in the buff in the shower is probably the best approach.

If you have time to walk to the medicine cabinet or access the drawers under the sink, then why not just put your carry gun on the sink counter? Or walk into your bedroom and draw your nightstand gun? The reason is because you might literally need access to a weapon, like RIGHT NOW. Not in 1 second. RIGHT NOW. Travis Alexander was attacked in the shower, and murdered, by a trusted member of the household. He learned the hard way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Travis_Alexander

In my situation I have lots of early warning, and have guns either on my person or within a room distance at all times. But without a weapon, it would admittedly be hard to defend against a person within the household, or someone who has gained access without detection.

Say, for instance, that someone sneaks in while you're not home, and lays in wait until you get in the shower? Like a maintenance man, if you live in an apartment. Or an Ex- significant other or roommate who still has a key. Or heck, maybe the old realtor gave out or lost the key to your house. There are lots of possibilities. And lots of people killed by nefarious folks hiding in the closet or spare room until the home owner gets in the shower or goes to sleep.

Last edited by leadcounsel; November 8, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old November 8, 2013, 03:31 AM   #22
RX-79G

Buy a Glock and store it in the toilet tank. It will be fine, and you'll save water on every flush.
Old November 8, 2013, 02:01 PM   #23
micromontenegro

A relative of mine actually saved his neck by keeping a gun in the bathroom.
I have ever since kept one (7-8 years). I have rotated them, but they have all been blue ones. With proper maintenance, rust has never been a problem.
Old November 8, 2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Kleab

Quote:
I always have my gun on me. Except when I'm showering and sleeping. It's 1-2ft away from me. Nightstand and toilet. I don't keep one in there because they're way too many guests(family) that come through.
+1

I carry 100% of the time. When I shower, I bring my carry gun into the bathroom with me. So, for me, I don't see too much purpose in have a gun dedicated to being stored in the bathroom.

I think it's cheaper, easier, and safer to simply bring the gun in the bathroom with you when you go in and take it out when you leave.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old November 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #25
Bullcamp82834

Ever seen John Wayne in "Big Jake" ?

Just keep a double barrel Greener in the shower stall with you.