The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2011, 11:21 AM   #1
nsigr

Mossberg 835 and Slugs

Hello

I recently bought a Mossberg 835. I live in Greece and here we are allowed to have only smooth bores.

My questions is if I can shoot slugs from this shotgun. I know that is overbored and the accuracy will not be very good. But can I or wiil damage the barell?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

No, you won't damage the barrel. But yes, accuracy will likely be poor. Most slugs are capable of being safely fired from a full choked "standard" bored barrel, much less a choked barrel in the overbored 835.
Try a Brenneke type slug. They usually work well in smoothbores.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Will Beararms

I am willing to bet your 835 came with screw-in chokes. I am also willing to bet, you can find a choke that will optimize a give slug's performance from that over-bored barrel better than you may think.

You want to choose the "Improved Cylinder" choke tube. Here is a link to O.F. Mossberg for your edification:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/acc...section=access

Let us know how this works out for you.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
nsigr

Hello guys

I really appreciate your answers.
At the moment I have an ULTI FULL Turkey Choke Tube that came with the shotgun.

I think Improved cylinder is too "open" for slugs. Should I try something tighter?

PS. My bore diameter is .775''

Last edited by nsigr; April 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Will Beararms

Read the Mossberg site's fine print in the choke tube section for slugs, they suggest you use the improved cylinder. I can tell you now do not use the full turkey choke. Better yet, email their customer service and ask them directly about choke tube selection,
Old April 8, 2011, 12:37 PM   #6
nsigr

Ohhh.. I dont even think about using the turkey tube for slugs.
I am planning to buy an other one for that use.

I just ask if my overbored barell can shoot slugs without problems (except accuracy).

Thanks for your help
Old April 8, 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
nsigr

I am just wondering...
Is there anyone that shoots slugs with a mossberg 835 smooth bore or it is just me?
Old April 8, 2011, 04:05 PM   #8
SHR970

Don't do it if you have a standard shot barrel. I have an 835 made in the second year of production and the barrel is marked "Do not use slugs". Because of the overbored barrels (bored to about 10 gauge) a slug could go sideways early in the barrel and cause problems. Buy a smooth bore slug barrel for it; the Mossberg part number is 90800 for the smoothbore cylider choke slug barrel.

You don't have to believe me, just email Mossberg and ask them!
Old April 8, 2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Doyle

SHR970 is right. DO NOT USE SLUGS IN AN 835 with a standard overbore barrel. You have to get a special slug barrel for it.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:42 PM   #10
MrBill#1

As stated in the owners manual "835® Models are designated to fire 12 gauge 2-3/4”, 3”, or 3-1/2” factory loaded ammunition.
Do not fire slugs of any type (single projectile ammunition) through the overbored 835
Accu-Mag barrel. This barrel is designated to shoot lead or steel pellet shot loads only. Use
only 835 barrels designated specifically for slug shooting"
SAFE SHOOTING Bill
Old April 8, 2011, 07:52 PM   #11
rantingredneck

YIKES!

Please do not shoot slugs through your overbored Mossberg 835 barrel.

Your barrel likely says on the side "Not for Use with Slugs". As some posters in this thread have already indicated, the standard Mossberg vent rib AccuMag choked barrels are overbored to 10 gauge dimensions. 12 gauge slugs can wobble sideways in the barrel and hang up causing an obstructed bore and potentially a kaboom.

There are slug barrels made for them.

To the other posters in this thread advising that it's OK, please do some reading on Mossberg's website about the 835 and it's specs.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 9, 2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Will Beararms

Listen to rantingredneck
Old April 9, 2011, 07:56 AM   #13
nsigr

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your answers.
I will ask my local gun store in they can import a smooth bore slug barell.

Wish I could own a rifled one but my countries laws do not accept rifled barells.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:52 PM   #14
nsigr

I am trying to find a smooth bore slug barrel in woodland camo.
Anyone seen one before?
Old April 9, 2011, 01:56 PM   #15
rantingredneck

They exist, but I haven't seen one new in quite a while. I think they have been discontinued and the used market may be your only option. Difficult given the import/export need.

Old April 12, 2011, 07:03 AM   #16
nsigr

Well

I contacted Mossberg and they told me that the only smooth barrel for model 835 in woodland camo is item# 12327WD BBL ASM 835 24RBRS WDLND PORTED.

But the Mossberg distributor in Greece told me that they cannot order it.
***?

Last edited by nsigr; April 12, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old April 12, 2011, 09:59 AM   #17
schmidty

I also have a 835 but it doesn't have an overbored barrel. It should be fine to shoot Rifled slugs out of the gun.. I would use improved cylinder choke to fire it. Bought some magnum 3" they should kick pretty hard!!!
Old April 12, 2011, 12:26 PM   #18
nsigr

Mine is overbored and on the side says "NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS"
Old April 12, 2011, 12:35 PM   #19
rantingredneck

Quote:
I also have a 835 but it doesn't have an overbored barrel. It should be fine to shoot Rifled slugs out of the gun.. I would use improved cylinder choke to fire it. Bought some magnum 3" they should kick pretty hard!!!
Is the barrel vent ribbed with removable chokes? If so, then very likely you do have an overbored barrel (they come that way from the factory on the 835). If you have a plain barrel with bead only, or a smoothbore or rifled slug barrel with rifle sights, then it's not overbored. Actually, I'm not so certain that the plain 18.5" cyl/bead barrel isn't either. Never held one of those specimens first hand.

The 535 on the other hand is a 3.5" chambered 500 basically and is not overbored from the factory.

Old April 12, 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

The fact is you have a 10 gauge gun with a extra full 12 gauge choke and its good for goose and turkey not deer. As much as I like shooting slugs I would not shoot them out of that gun. Re-barreling will get you the same conundrum. You might want to think seriously about looking for another Mossberg in the 500 model class and fit it with an IM choke and a 2X power scope. You are good to go out to 100 meters if you need to shoot that far with standard Foster or Brenneke slugs with fair accuracy and no worries about damaging the barrel.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 13, 2011, 06:26 AM   #21
nsigr

Thanks for your advice.
Old April 14, 2011, 07:55 AM   #22
nsigr

I decided to follow Old Grump's advice and buy a Mossberg 500.
What choke to order for slugs? Skeet or IC ?

Thanks
Old April 14, 2011, 08:38 AM   #23
SHR970

Either will work. This is from memory but Briley chokes go Cyl, Skeet 1, Imp. Cyl., Skeet 2, Mod.

Now I understand you can not have rifled barrels, but are you prohibited for using rifled choke tubes? If you are not prohibited, I would recommend one of them because yuo can then add the various sabot slugs to you ammunition choices where available.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #24
nsigr

Rifled choke tubes in Greece are illegal...
Old April 14, 2011, 11:36 AM   #25
rantingredneck

I typically use IC for slugs or a fixed choke IC barrel. That's with Remington guns. Mossberg for some reason doesn't choke their slug barrels and leaves them Cyl bore. Maybe try a Cyl accuchoke? Or can you get a smoothbore 500 slug barrel there? or a combo gun that comes with both barrels?

Having the dedicated slug barrel also gets you the rifled sights to better use the slugs. Here in the states there are guns with 2 barrel combination sets sold.