The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Scope or Red dot for Slug gun?

I have a mossberg 535 sluggster that I plan on putting some optics on. which would you go with and why? Is it mostly just personal pref? Pros Cons?
The scopes I am looking at are either Bushnell Banner Shotgun Scope and the Nikon Prostaff Shotgun scope.
The red dots I am looking at are Bushnell Trophy Multi-Reticle Red Dot Scope
or ????? suggestions ???
I want to leave the open sights on in case Im on the hunt and something goes wrong with the optics, rather have quick detatchable rather then see through mounts. That is why I thought of red dot sights, should be short enough that the rear iron sight wont be in the way. Im limited to about $200. Otherwise I would go Leupold all the way, because of personal experience. But have had good luck with Bushnell, never had a Nikon.
Old December 17, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
seansean1444

i would go with a red dot. thats what i have on my slug gun and it is so much better than having a scope on it imo because later in the deer season when you start driving deer it is allot easier to find your target with the red dot.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
bamaranger

watch out

In a fit of experimentation, I put a shotgun scope on my turkey gun this spring.

All went fine w/ std loads and then I shot a turkey load from sitting. I got a nice scope cut on the eye brow as a result, and the scope was as far forward as the mounts and turrets would allow.

Be VERY conscious of your eye relief w/ a conventional scope on a hard kicking shotgun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the scope off.
Old December 18, 2010, 02:03 AM   #4
xMINORxTHREATx

I have a Bushnell red dot mounted decently forward on my 11-87 slug gun. Works great. Adjustable brightness is a big plus when looking at red dot. If the dot is too bright, you glare and can't make as accurate of a shot placement.

Also, I've heard of people putting pistol scopes on their shotguns. Gives you the eye relief needed to not get beat up by the optics.
Old December 18, 2010, 03:11 PM   #5
pabuckslayer08

With todays slug guns 150 yards is no problem so I like the magnification from a scope. I have a banner on mine and am planning on buying me my own little gift a Nikon Slug Hunter for Christmas. The pro staff slug scope is also very amazing. I have one on my Inline muzzleloader and its very clear and works great.