The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 2009, 10:49 PM   #26
Swampghost

Ben, until you see what hogs can do you won't understand. If you farm, think of a giant roto-tiller going through your property. I've seen a 50 yd. swath turned up in natural property. If your seeded or have young crops the damage can be much greater.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:23 PM   #27
Ben

Point made. I know I can just Wikipedia this, but what crops do they typically eat? I've seen wild boars with their large tusks, and they're always portrayed as aggressive. I've never had a run-in with one though. With regards to getting injured while hunting them, well, some times the hunters become the hunted.

Ben
Old March 26, 2009, 07:10 AM   #28
Doyle

Ben, it frequently isn't the crops themselves that they are after. It is the roots and grubs under the soil. Just wait until you have seen what they can do to a golf course in just one night. It looks like somebody took a disk harrow to it.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:57 AM   #29
delzo

A few nights ago the news reported they were going to let a select few hunters use a bow and arrows to kill off the nuisance hogs in Bush Park on the west side of Houston.

They don't have enough traps to make a dent in the growing hog population so they are looking for more drastic measures. The meat will be donated to the Houston Food Bank.

Sounds like fun to me!
Old March 26, 2009, 08:38 PM   #30
Mark whiz

Hogs are definitely Omnivoris........................they eat anything. Typically roots, grubs, acorns - things of that nature are 1st choice................but depending on what foods are available - they'll eat anything. Some of the best eating I've had with them was some that had been eating the fallen oranges from orange groves in FLA........................ pre-marinated meat - YUMMY! A couple of years ago, I read in some areas of drought, their food sources were so limited that they were dragging off deer that had been shot before the hunters could catch up to the carcasses.

Like has been said - wild pigs are mean SOBs and you do have to be careful. While I have used pistols, it was while I was with someone along for backup and usually with dogs as well. AS far as what caliber I would use...........44Mag or .454 Casull would be good. .45ACP will work as well as the .357mag - but I prefer big holes with as much velocity as I can get. I shot a 80lb sow at almost point blank range with a .357, she wouldn't go down............the outfitter I was with jumped on her and slit her throat and she STILL wouldn't stay down..............................finally a .22 in the ear laid her out. Initially I thought the .357 round didn't do it's job - but post-mortem inspection showed otherwise..............that bullet damaged both shoulders so severly that the meat in them was unharvestable...........little piglette was just too stirred up to lay down and die, even though she was already toast.
!
Old March 26, 2009, 09:24 PM   #31
XpatBubba

Yea, I still have some land in FL that has some serious hog issues. I have taken some with a bow, mostly with the ole Winchester 1894 levergun or a 12GA slug. I carry the Desert Eagle in .50 across my shoulder when on the ground with the rifle as a primary. I miss hunting them.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:16 PM   #32
NWCP

Hogs can be a bugger to take down. A .308 with a .41, or .44 magnum as a side arm would be my preference. The .308 does a number on them as will a 7.62x39, or a well placed .223. In South Carolina we used a 12GA. The brush was thick and the hogs were aggressive. Dogs can get torn up pretty bad at times. They seem to be overrunning areas in the South and Southwest. Aren't they considered a varmint in Texas?
Old March 26, 2009, 10:34 PM   #33
jgcoastie

10mm all the way...

I'd recommend a Glock 20 or 20SF. Load it up with some good JHP's or a gas-checked lead round... 165/180/200grains should do the job nicely... Carry a few spare mags though. Amongst a bunch of angry hogs is not the ideal time to run dry...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:36 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have no qualms sending in my bulldogs (any alone as well) on any size hog... It may be the last hog for 'em but they may make it out unharmed... Roll of the proverbial dice every time out.
If I know we have verified "dog wreckers" in the area I will take 2 bulldogs.
Brent
Old March 26, 2009, 10:54 PM   #35
Mexican_Hippie

My family used to own a ranch where we guided hunts. I've shot a ton of them and have hunted them on horseback with dogs as well.

If you're on the ground with them I wouldn't go less than .45. You can shoot them behind the ear with a .22 mag, but if you barely miss you're toast.

Those things are mean. My grandpa has the most hilarious VHS tape with one of his bow hunters jumping on his truck hood. The bowhunter wounded one with an arrow as they were coming to pick him up. It chased him from his tripod to the truck.

Bowhunters
Old March 27, 2009, 07:12 AM   #36
Doyle

Quote:
Yea, I still have some land in FL that has some serious hog issues.
If your land is near Sarasota/Bradenton, I can help with population control.
Old March 27, 2009, 02:43 PM   #37
mec

Each hog situation seems to be a law unto itself. Good bullet placement is supposed to be the key but even that doesn't always drop the hog. Some people head shoot them with 22s. I've had them run a significant distance shot through both shoulders with a 180 grain 30-06. The one above soaked up four 250 grain keith bullets while running with lungs and heart hits all fully penetrating and exiting. The finishing shot was end to end at 20=-30 feet with the bullet running the spine with considerable damage, breaking the back leg and stopping under the skin of a ham.

This was the result of a single shot from a 55 grain nosler ballistic tip loaded to a sedate 3000 fps off the muzzle Distance was just over 200 yards. They arn't supposed to work out this well at that kind of range.

The hog was over 200 pounds and was DRT. Rifle was a busmaster Predator.

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old March 27, 2009, 02:44 PM   #38
precision_shooter

Wild Hogs are not typically considered varmints in Texas. They are considered a neusance animal. Last I heard there were 5 wild hogs to every 1 human in this state. That is why we don't have to have a license or special stamp to shoot them. All wild hogs are shoot on site with no questions asked. If you want the meat, great, take it. If not, you leave it laying there or drag it off to some brush and go on to the next one.

Hogs usually have at least 8 piglets each time they "get knocked up". And we're not talking once a year like most animals, they can have up to 3 litters each year. So thats up to 24 new hogs born each year from 1 mature hog. That is why the numbers are so high. Also, Texas has more acreage of privately owned land than any othere state in the nation. Makes it hard to keep the population in control when the hogs are thriving on peoples 5000 10000 or 20000 acre ranches.

Most of the time the ranchers won't get people to come and kill some hogs until the population on their land gets to a point where they can't handle it any longer.

Now for what I use, I usally have my .308 AR or .223 AR with my GP100 or .357 Mag Desert Eagle as a BUG. They usually don't get far when hit with the /308. The .223 has good penetration but does not cause enough shock to make them DRT so if you want the meat you have to do a little tracking with the BUG in hand. Only ever had to use the BUG 1 time and it was the GP100. 1 shot and the hog went down for the count.

KILL ALL YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 27, 2009, 03:22 PM   #39
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pre-Shooter, I consider them vermin. Not Varmint! Vermin no different than cockroaches, termites or rats...
Brent
Old March 27, 2009, 03:34 PM   #40
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Frank W. James was writing about the farm at which he's helping clear some hogs.

Apparently the farmer had to re-plant 600 acres of corn. With seed, fertilizer, and labor costs, that's $60,000 in damage that hogs have done to his farm, in just the last three weeks. That's a lotta dough.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:41 PM   #41
BurkGlocker

My buddy has his farm and some property up by the Red River and he had a sounder of pigs get into his corn field, tore up a good 20 acres. I can only imagine how many pigs it took to tear up 20 acres in less than 8 hours.

I have been down near his deer feeder after the pigs have come through, nothing but torn up land. It seems that everytime I go over for a visit he's complaining about something being torn up. Plus they have been suspected for killing cattle as well...

As for when I go hunting, usually the .308 Win (wished I had a lever action though) and I carry my G21 loaded with XTPs as a BUG.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:53 PM   #42
hardluk1

I am new to this forum but not hogs. Don't underestamate them. A 22 behind the ear will stop them but a badly placed 223 BT can get you killed. I have shot several with a barnes x bullet.Devistateing rounds. In a rifle of most any kind that is the best bullet for the job. I have used a 357 more than anything else and allways shot 180 grain hard cast and it will take out both shoudlers with no problem and from it will go thru the chest plate in the front on it will come out the rear or low thru the chest. DON'T take them for granted. Don't shot most hollow points out of a pistol. Dpx at the higest +p in 40,45 or 10mm 357, 45lc,44, or bigger. If a shot gun ,make it a heavy slug. If a rifle most any controlled expantion rounds,X, trophy bonded, that type of round. All this is for up close and personal shooting. Nothing is better than slow cook sow.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:45 PM   #43
publius

I shoot 'em every chance i get with whatever I have. I really enjoy shooting my .45 Colt. Wild hogs are very destructive, and many people don't know it but also predatory. They will eat newborn fawns, turkey eggs. etc. The nasty things even eat their own dead. Not to mention they are hell on crops. They did an estimated 1 billion worth of crop damage in Texas this past year. Part of the new stimulus plan should be supplying me with ammo to help TX farmers.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:42 PM   #44
Kendo

I've just gotten into the hogs . I use the .308 or .223. Ive also gone with a friend with dogs and no guns. The dogs are pretty cool infact very cool but Im a gun guy. Id just a soon shoot em at 100 yds as get in a wrestlin match with em and try to tie em up. And as said above that is exactly what they do . The other day a friend of mine caught one about 250, hobbled her, as their headed thru town she gets loose and jumps out of the back of the truck . Sounds like it was quite a show gettin her back in the truck. I told him today see my way you dont have that problem.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:48 PM   #45
Buzzcook

Quote:
Pre-Shooter, I consider them vermin. Not Varmint! Vermin no different than cockroaches, termites or rats...
Except for the BBQ part I hope.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:56 PM   #46
Kendo

They are extremely good eatin.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:05 PM   #47
hardluk1

Anyone with that many hogs to be a problem should think about a bbq as a side business. If the helth deptment could be delt with. Or like some in florida run a add post it ever where for fresh hog> as you get orders yo can fill them. The boys around perry florida use to do that. Died, fresh and dressed with ice in the belly.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:01 PM   #48
davem

Ben: getting back to your Q; hogs can tear up crops but even most Wildlife Departments don't like them and if the local hunters can't clear them out the Wildlife Dept. may contract out trappers to reduce hog populations. In any event once hogs get established in an area it becomes almost impossible to eliminate them.
You're up in Atlanta but there ought to be plenty down on the Savanna River near Savanna proper. I'm in Florida and hogs can become a problem tearing up the ground, etc.
I think the ultimate "hog experience" is with the knife. You need dogs to catch the critter and then you slip in quick and finish him off. I'm still working up some nerve before trying that one. Up to your elbows in pig blood. Way cool.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:10 PM   #49
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I try to keep or "give away" all high quality pork pig. It is a fine line ;tween sale and buchering the swine. The "buyer" or gatherer will assist in my free service.
Brent
Old March 27, 2009, 11:11 PM   #50
Fat White Boy

I use my .270 or .308. I carry a Ruger Security Six in .357 Magnum for my side arm...

A small group of pigs can make a barley field look like it was disced an a night or two...