The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 1999, 11:49 PM   #1
Virgil Cain

I own a 10mm Double eagle, I would like to know what I have to buy to change it to a .45 Also, will 1911 barrels work. I have examained both and they look the same. Any information will be great.
Old May 7, 1999, 12:54 AM   #2
Menos

Virgil: the frame is readily convertable with a new slide , barrel, and recoil spring assy.

The slide is cut for the cartridge head size and the extractor is also positioned according to the dia of the cartridge. You could convert to .40 S&W with a barrel , but the magazines wouldn't be correct either.

You can buy a good slide from Essex arms fairly inexpensively, but would have to mount sites on it. You might also look into the miriad of aftermarket suppliers, from Ed Brown to Brownells and a whole host of others. www.shooters.com has a good list.

The 1911 is a very versatile frame and can be a lot of fun. I have one of my frames fitted with 4 calibers of slides and or barrels. Remember the magazines will have to be bought for each caliber too.

Good luck , and have fun... be safe!

------------------
What part of "INFRINGED" don't they understand?

Old May 7, 1999, 07:28 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

This would be a good time to point out that the Double Eagle slide differs slightly from the Series 80 Government Model slide. The Double Eagle slide has the disconnector slot cut into the slide rail on the right hand side. A Series 80 slide can be remachined to work, but using a Series 70 slide would result in the disabling of the firing pin safety. Or you could just order a Double Eagle slide assembly from Gun Parts Corporation ( www.gunpartscorp.com ). Part #SP57352 on page 285 is the stainless .45 ACP Government length Double Eagle slide; it runs $220.00 before shipping.

Other than the disconnector slot, everything else regarding the internals of the Double Eagle slide is either straight 1911 (barrel, barrel link, barrel link pin, barrel bushing, recoil spring guide, recoil spring plug, recoil spring, and firing pin spring) or Series 80 spec (extractor, firing pin, firing pin plunger, firing pin plunger spring, and firing pin stop).

BTW: You could fit .40 S&W, 357 SIG, 9x25mm Dillon, and .38 Super barrels to your 10mm slide. Spare magazines for the .40 S&W are being produced by Ed Brown ( www.edbrown.com ); these will also work with the 357 SIG. 9x25mm Dillon will work in the 10mm mags, and .38 Super mags are still available from several sources including Colt.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited May 07, 1999).]