The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 25, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1
oneanddone

Thoughts on FNX9

Hey guys,
This is my first post to the forum and I'm excited to hear your opinions! I'm considering a handgun for home defense and have settled on the FNX9. It checks off everything on my list (polymer, ambi setup, da/sa, manual saftey, etc). However, I have heard of issues with the quality such as trouble firing due to heat, cruddy back straps that move around, etc. Before I buy it, I was wondering if FN has addressed these problems or if they are still ongoing? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks guys!
Old January 25, 2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Indi

I had one for a while used it as my nightstand gun. I had a tlr2s attached to it. Its a fine weapon. Backstraps were loose but never had a problem with them. Never had a heat issue either..... I think FN addressed that. Only reason I sold it was I had a double fire while shooting at the range. I think it was all me, maybe I didnt grip it like im supposed to. Happened more than once in the same range session. Traded it for a glock 19.
Old January 26, 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Martowski

Welcome!

I have not owned an FNX but have looked at them numerous times (and I own a fair number of other handguns). From what I have seen, the FNX9 is a solid pistol that may not be "remarkable" in any one aspect, but the combination of features and quality make it a very solid pick in the market.

The late Stephan A. Camp (a frequent and very well respected contributor to this and many other forums, rest his soul) produced a couple nice write ups on the FNX9 on his website:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/t...9mm_pistol.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/s...iderations.htm

I wouldn't be concerned with the FNX. Keep in mind that people tend to post a lot on the internet about the problems they are having with any one firearm; for every one negative post there are likely hundreds of other users perfectly happy with their firearm.
Old January 26, 2014, 06:29 PM   #4
DFM914

I would recommend any FN handgun. I have an FNP9, an FNS9 and just got a FNX9. All outstanding guns that will never fail you!! Very reliable and accurate.
Old January 26, 2014, 07:43 PM   #5
Indi

On by the way, after retiring the fnx9 from nightstand duty it was replaced by a fnp 45 tactical. Which is basically the same gun in 45acp. That glock 19 has stayed in the safe, glock 23 on the hip.

[QUOTE I wouldn't be concerned with the FNX. Keep in mind that people tend to post a lot on the internet about the problems they are having with any one firearm; for every one negative post there are likely hundreds of other users perfectly happy with their firearm./QUOTE]

^^ this

Tags
fnh , fnx-9 , handgun , home defense