The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
fsfty

Cleaning Question

Is there any reason why I shouldn't clean the barrel through the muzzle end after a light shooting at the range? There really isn't a crown to protect...just askin'...thanks.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
mrgoodwrench76

The only issue I see with it is that your pushing 'gunk' back into the breach. What model are we talking about?
Old April 12, 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
fsfty

Remington 870 Express...Don't want to deal with taking out the mag tube / spring just to clean for 25 shots...Its gonna go next to the bed and probably not be shot again for a year or so. Would cleaning muzzle to breach, and cleaning the chamber suffice?
Old April 12, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Why would you take off the mag tube/spring? Just take off the cap, and the barrel, and then clean from the breech. It takes 5 seconds to remove the barrel.
No need to clean anything else for just 25 shots.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5
fsfty

My 870 has the clamp holding together the barrel and the magazine tube...must be removed before removing the cap...
Old April 12, 2011, 12:52 PM   #6
mrgoodwrench76

First off, how in the world can you shoot 25 times and be done? Cleaning the way you describe would be fine as long as all the residue is removed and everything is properly lubricated.

With some practice, removing the barrel can be done very quick and easy. Considering the shotgun will be stored for long periods of time, great care should be taken to keep it clean and well maintained to prevent corrosion. Remember, 'gunk' can get to far more places than the barrel and chamber. If it were me, I would completely disassemble, clean, and reassemble with gloves on .
Old April 12, 2011, 12:54 PM   #7
zippy13

Its gonna go next to the bed and probably not be shot again for a year or so.
That's on the long side for cleaning a gun that's supposed to be ready for instant service. You should do a complete proper cleaning annually even if it hasn't been fired.
Old April 12, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

I think I understand your reluctance to removing the barrel, if you are concerned about scratching the barrel with the barrel clamp. Don't be. Just be careful and it isn't a problem.

Even if the gun only has a box of ammo throught it, it should be cleaned and especially if it is going to sit for months and months.

I gave you a link to the AI&P Tactical sight. There is one aspect of cleaning it recommends with which I cannot agree; the use of paper towels as cleaning patches. That is fine if the barrel is off the gun. If it is on the gun you risk a small piece of paper tearing off and getting stuck inside your receiver. I had this happen by running a piece of paper towel down the magazine tube.

It only takes two minutes to remove and reinstall a barrel; 5 if you have the extension for the magazine.
Old April 12, 2011, 01:33 PM   #9
AllenJ

Have you thought about getting a bore snake? No need to take the barrel off and you can clean from the chamber to muzzle.
Old April 12, 2011, 02:06 PM   #10
mrgoodwrench76

Unless you clean a bore snake EVERY time you use it. And I mean every time you pull it through your barrel, then it is useless. All your doing is dragging more debris through your barrel.
Old April 12, 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
oneounceload

Bore snakes work just fine for what you are talking about - they are great for a light cleaning after a few shots
Old April 12, 2011, 03:16 PM   #12
fsfty

I do have a 12 gauge boresnake...I guess I could run it through the chamber without removing the barrel, correct?
Old April 12, 2011, 03:27 PM   #13
oneounceload

yep, put your favorite cleaner on it - I place mine on the puffy section between both brushes - one or two pulls and good to go. For storage, you can always afterwards run a lightly oiled patch from the muzzle (LIGHTLY being the key word)
Old April 12, 2011, 06:31 PM   #14
BigJimP

yes, the bore snake will work a lot better from the receiver end than shoving all that gunk into the reciever ...

but if you're going to put it away - and not shoot it - for over a month ...then you really need to take the barrel off the gun / and drop the trigger group out / and clean and lube the receiver and everything.... ( its not just the barrel that gets dirty ) ....
Old April 12, 2011, 06:43 PM   #15
highvel

Once you learn how easy the 870 is to dismantle and clean, you will be doing it in a couple of minutes and cleaning it completely.
Just be careful of the breech end and the fairly sharp edges of the barrel where it fits into the receiver!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 12, 2011, 06:46 PM   #16
BigJimP

that's what band-aids are for Highvel ....( we've all left a little blood on the insides of receivers ...)....
Old April 12, 2011, 07:09 PM   #17
highvel

I just rmembered y-e-a-r-s ago when I was running a tornado brush down my 870 barrel, when it cleared the muzzel I lost about a pint on that one!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 12, 2011, 07:16 PM   #18
pato

Like a one blogger noted, you are pushing junk upstream instead of downstream. Bad habits are hard to change when formed, better not to form it.