The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
cgpro856

CCI primers

In my searches for info on ignition problems with 231 and Unique powders in light 38 loads I have found a few references to CCI primers causing the problem. Does anyone have any specific information about this?

Thanks
Chrsi P.
Old May 7, 2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I personally have never experienced an ignition problem with CCi primers,, in fact I have never had a primer by any manufacturer fail to light up the powder. I have had better or worse accuracy with different brands in certain calibers and loads but that is resolved with a little testing. I suppose if your loads are very light and the powder is not against the primer this might be a problem. That is also why I use powders that tend to fill the case at least half full. I do a lot of shotgun shooting so I adapt my pistol loads to use the current powder I use for my shotguns. Presently I have had good luck with Universal Clays, Green Dot, Herco & Clays. Good luck
Old May 8, 2005, 12:08 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

CCI's

Quote: "I personally have never experienced an ignition problem with CCi primers"

Same here. CCI makes a fine primer. Been using them for years. Now, if your gun's mainspring is weak and it just gives the primer a tiny tap, there might be problems, but that's a gun problem, not a primer problem. Some reloading progressive machines have trouble with certain manufacturers' primers, but that's a reloading machine problem, not a primer problem.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; May 8, 2005 at 12:09 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old May 8, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
CaptainRazor

I used CCI primers for years, I only had a couple of times that some rounds didn't go off on the first try. I had to recock and shoot them again. It was old ammo, and a different gun, could be one or the other, or a combination of both, you decide.
I never had one that DIDN'T go off, ever. The reason I don't use them anymore is their availability, Not many places around here stock them anymore.
I would have no problems going back to them, they are fine components, just a little harder to light sometimes.
Old May 8, 2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I use cci primers almost exclusively in my Pro 2000 because they can be procured already in the APS strips. I cannot remember one misfire that was not gun related (to much oil on the firing pin commonly) in over 162,000+ rounds.

I shoot a fair amount of 231 and I would have figured I would have found a problem if it existed.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
klw

CCI Primers

Probably 95%+ of all the primers I've used are CCI. That's because I have four RCBS progressives (two Pro 2000's and two Piggyback III's) that use CCI strip primers.

Never had a problem. 80,000+ round and NEVER had a problem. Also those strip primers feed through the RCBS progressives better than any other progressive primer system I've ever seen.

I've probably got 100,000 CCI primers on hand and am about to buy another 100,000. Couldn't like them more.
Old May 10, 2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

CCI primers are a bit harder than other primers, but rarely fail to go off. I have no problem in my 1911's with 17lb mainsprings, but have seen some issues with revolvers when spring and trigger work is done.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:29 PM   #8
caz223

I can't say that I've had problem #1 with CCI primers, whether 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, or 550.
Haven't personally used the others, but I'd assume the same level of quality.

Used CCI almost exclusively all the way from a lee loader kit, to a RCBS partner, a rock crusher, and now a dillon.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

CCI's and 231 and Unique

Cgpro856--Kinda looks like you can go ahead and use CCI primers and W231 or Unique powder, with impunity.

Note: Am using Win Small Pistol primers with the 231 myself, and have never had ap problem there, either.

IMX, primers aren't a usual source of problems, properly applied, in any load!

--Smokey Joe
Old May 10, 2005, 04:48 PM   #10
cheygriz

I switched from CCI to Remington over 25 years ago. I've neverr had a primer related problem since.

I switched because CCI was having some QC issues bck then. I understand that they've had the problems cleared up for years, and they are as good as any of the others now.

If I couldn't get Remington primers for some reason or another, I wouldn't hesitate to use CCI again.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:21 PM   #11
Ben Shepherd

CCI is basically the hardest primer out there, I really suspect you just don't have enough spring and/or firing pin protrusion for reliable ignition.

If you do the same load with federal primers(relatively soft) with no hiccups I think you may have found you problem.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old May 10, 2005, 07:36 PM   #12
G56

CCI primers are less sensitive than other brands, CCI's work fine but I prefer Winchester or Federal primers. If your hammer spring is not up to standard the CCI could be problematic.