The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2001, 03:43 PM   #1
VictorLouis

I have searched under both 'barrel' and 'bbl.', and I can't see that my question has yet been addressed. I have a chance to pick up a full-choked, plain bead 870 barrel of about 28" for $50. The vent-rib, modified, dual bead barrel that came with the gun should be really nice for trap, so I don't want to change it.

Does the choke constriction start gradually in front of the chamber, or is it confined to the last several inches of length as was stated in some past posts? I am wondering if any of that choke would be left after trimming the barrel to an 18"-20" HD length. Considering the cost of smithing services, would I just be better off buying a new, rifle sighted, IC barrel from Cabela's?

Rather than another post, can you tell me if the standard 870 trigger guard is alloy, or steel? If alloy, is there a steel replacement available?

[Edited by VictorLouis on 01-16-2001 at 04:09 PM]
Old January 16, 2001, 04:33 PM   #2
Thibault

Nothing left, as far as choke will go. Zip,nada.
You'll have a nice 18 to 20 in cyl barrel. As far as trigger guard goes, not a clue!
Cabela's an option...
Old January 16, 2001, 05:14 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Alloy, Vic. Even my early 50's gun won't make a magnet stick.

On that shotgun, I still have the original bbl, shortened. It was a full choke, 28" bbl, now it's chokeless and 18" plus a skosh.

A caveat, true cylinder bores oft have ragged patterns. Mine doesn't, but the forcing cone was done around 90, and that may have an effect.

Most makers work in a few points of constriction on their factory cylinder bores to round the patterns, and Police Cylinder is but a fancy name for same.
Old January 16, 2001, 06:54 PM   #4
VictorLouis

Thanks guys. I just surfed Cabela's, and that's the route I think I will take.
Old January 17, 2001, 03:51 AM   #5
DML

All 18" Express cylinder bore barrels are exactly that. There is no constriction. None. Police Magnum barrels that are marked CYL also have no choke at all. Most of the new Police Magnums that I have seen lately have an improved cylinder choke. Some even have a modified choke.Even new 14" barrels have at least an IC choke. It helps reduce the donut effect you get with buckshot past 15 yards.
Old January 18, 2001, 04:14 PM   #6
Romulus

VictorLuis, I saw an ad in American Rifleman years ago for an all-steel trigger group for the Rem 870. It vanished subsequently. I sent a question to the "Where can I find..." column, got no response. My guess is that these are no longer made. I'll begin searching again, I'd like to have one myself, I'll keep you posted...

PS: please, anyone with knowledge of the Ithaca Model '87. reply in my post. Thanks
Old January 18, 2001, 05:57 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Romulus,there's a couple of aftermarket vendors that supply trigger groups, I think Timney is one. These are for the trap crowd primarily, but will work for any facet of shotgunning. As to any advantage, dunno. I think the idea was to get a better/lighter pull.

A steel triggerguard adds but an oz or two, and reliability is so good with the standard I see no need.
Old January 18, 2001, 09:04 PM   #8
RugerNo3

The 870 trigger ass'y is made from Nylon. Indestructable. Just too small for my tastes.
Old January 29, 2001, 07:28 PM   #9
Romulus

VictorLouis, I found an all-steel trigger group for the 870 in Brownell's catalog. It is adjustable, has a gold-plated trigger, and it costs upwards of two-hundred bucks. I'm a steel fanatic, but that is way too much. I'd rather find a way of refinishing the aluminum one, it has a grotesque crinkle finish on it. Any suggestions there?
Old January 29, 2001, 07:29 PM   #10
VictorLouis

No thanks, I'll get by just fine with the aluminum one.