The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 9, 2013, 03:47 AM   #1
frigate88

Which optic?

Hey guys;

I'm wanting to put a new optic on my Colt LE6920. It's my patrol rifle and the optic cant have any magnification to it(dept policies). Had an Eotech XPS0 before and was happy with it, but after about 2 thousand rounds it didn't want to hold a zero any more. So it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth in regards to buying another one. I'm really liking the Trijicon reflex sights, but haven't shot with one yet. Just looked at and through them at the LGS. Any input and experience with the trijicons? Also, when I was looking at them online I saw that you had to buy a mount seperately and it's hard to gauge these mounts with out seeing them in person. Are they able to mount low enough to co-witness with the iron sights?I was looking at the RX06 with the triangle. I liked the triangle from a previous experience shooting an ACOG set up with one. With these trijicons would it be better to stick to the dot or is the triangle good as well? Also are they rugged and well built and can handle being thrown around a bit with out loosing zero? Thanks for any help.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****
Old February 9, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
KO3422

I do like the Trijicon RMR's. I have a bunch of them. I strongly suggest getting the battery powered adjustable LED version. They have a 3.25 and 6.5 moa version.

I have both versions. The 3.25 moa version is ideal for my LMT's. The LED versus the tritium/fiber, is way better. The dot on tritium/fiber version still washes out in certain settings. The battery powered version stays nice and bright. The old Reflex sights washed out pretty bad for me. I was pretty dang happy when the RMR debuted. I have and had a bunch of the tritium versions. I use the ADM QD mounts and they are rock solid and have been working fine for me since the RMR came out.

I like the dot. I have a triangle in my Accupoint 1-4x TR24's. Up close...it's damn fast. When I bring it out...it can get a bit tough for precise shots. That's when the mil-dot reticle would shine. I don't use my Accupoint in that manner, so anything 0-100...my triangle reticle is fast enough for me.

The bonus is that you can run the RMR on your pistol if you desire. Yes, Trijicon stuff is rock solid stuff. They build gear to be used and abused. I mean look what our guys do the the ACOGs in the field.

Last edited by KO3422; February 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
frigate88

Thanks a bunch on all the info. One more question though. Which reticle would you prefer for room clearing and CQB type situations, the dot or triangle?
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****
Old February 9, 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
KO3422

PM sent.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

The EOTech losing zero is definitely not supposed to happen. Check the mount for it, and maybe give L3 a call and see what they can do? I'm absolutely certain they will warranty the optic and replace or fix it for you.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:46 PM   #6
DasGuy

I really like my Aimpoint PRO. You can find them for <$400, which includes a QD mount.

You never have to turn it off, and the rear lens cover is clear so you don't even have to mess with anything on the optic to deploy your rifle.
Old February 24, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Mauser8mm

Vortex

Vortex Razor- $599 MSRP