The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Eghad

CAS Shotgun Reloading

Currently I can grab a box of 12ga shells for $3.25 for the shotgun stages at CAS shoots. The velocity is about 1100 fps. I would like to get a inexpensive setup to reload a lighter load 12ga for the shotgun stage. I would maybe reload 100 to 150 shells a month. So speed is not a major issue.

What light loads do you use for the 12ga and what setup? I have more time than I do $$$ right now. Plus age is catching up with me and I need to ease up my shoulder due to arthritis.

NRA Life Member
Old October 6, 2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

100-150 per month? Lee Load-All. Comes with a complete set of powder & shot bushings, and does 6 or 8 point crimps without changing anything. These can commonly be bought off eBay for $20-$25, including shipping. Even brand new direct from Lee, they're only about fifty bucks.
HERE'S ONE currently at $10.50 with nine hours to go complete with both the 12g and 20g die heads.

Skip on the automatic primer feed, it doesn't work nearly as well as it sounds. Remember that the crimp starter isn't self-indexing and you have to manually index the hull at that station, or you'll get a lot of goofy looking crimps. I've got three 12g and one 20g set up on my bench. Two of the 12g units are for black powder loads. I use Lee dippers to measure the BP, and have one set up with a 1 1/8 oz bushing and one set up with a 1 5/8 oz bushing.

SASS 47015
Old October 6, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Eghad

Thanks I put a bid in on it... jumped up a little LOL

NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Eghad

Got beat out for the load all. If I dont get this next one I will buy one from Midway they have them for $34.00.

NRA Life Member