The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Yossarian.22

Buying 1st Used Rifle

I just put a deposit on a used Winchester 9422 in .22LR (for my wife, a lover of lever guns...hoping the tax return arrives by Valentines Day).

I've never bought a used rifle before...but have owned 2 newly purchased Marlins.
The only maintenance I did to those were to clean the actions...and occasionally run a Bore Snake through the bore of one - a Model 60 (I hesitate to clean a rimfire bore, as I'm inexperienced in bore cleaning and don't wan't to do more harm than good).

As far as the Winchester goes I don't know if there is anything I should inspect before shooting....although the rifle appears to be unfired...there's no noticeable wear anywhere, and the firing pin is completely clean and unworn.
It could have possibly sat in a safe, closet, or shelf for the last 7 years or more.

I also don't know if it's necessary to clean and lube it or just go directly out and shoot it....and if so - should I just run a lightly lubed Bore Snake through the barrel and wipe down the parts with a silicone rag....or take it down and do a more complete job.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old February 8, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2
john323

I would give it a complete cleaning before you shoot it.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old February 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Fleet

2nd the above.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:44 PM   #4
PetahW

I would suggest you snake it & shoot the snot out of it.

Old February 14, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I rarely buy new rifles or handguns. Out of 27 used guns, I have only once had a problem. Previous user had messed with the hammer and it cost me $100 to have S&W replace it.

Used guns are the best value going. If the gun looks clean, there is a 99% chance it has no safety problems. Function is another issue. There are some guns on the market that don't function right, that is sometimes why they are there. But it's generally a small proportion- although some guns suffer from the problem more than others....
Old February 14, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
603Country

I have a used 9422, and I like it a lot. As for how well used it is, or was, the metal has some bluing that was ruined by light rust and it's all scratched up. I refinished the stock, which was pretty whipped, and it looks great now. Once you have it, if it shoots great that's great. If you have any problems, PM me and we can discuss a few issues I had to deal with, none of which were at all serious.

My Dad has had a 9422 for a zillion years and I don't think that it's ever been cleaned and it just keeps on shooting.