The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
tpcollins

Does this Burris ring look right to you?

Based on the recommendations from this forum, I bought Burris Signature rings to mount an AV 3x9x36 Swarovski on a new T/C Bone Collector ml. While on stand last week I looked down and saw the top of the rear ring was tilted forward.

I took some pics and forwarded them to Burris and got a response from a guy that thought the rings were doing as intended. Not satified with his response, I was about to elevate the concern when he said he would send me a replacement ring. I'll admit this pic is a bit better that the original ones sent but does anyone else think there's something wrong with it or could I have possibly mounted it wrong? I used a Fat Wrench to torque the screws down and my other 3 Sig rings look perfect. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0102.jpg (129.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.jpg (115.4 KB, 110 views)
Old November 25, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2
rickdavis81

I've had several and they didn't look like that. Is the insert just pushed out to far on one side? Can you loosen it and align the insert and retorque them? I think it's an insert problem.
Old November 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Pahoo

There is a problem !!!

There was a previous post that had an identical symtom. In this case and with what I am looking at, I'd say that there is a problem. However, I'd only be guessing as to what is causing it. Will add that the rings you have are quality rings, by my measure. I don't like hte position of the inserts but really can't say what is happening. For now, I'd suggest breaking it down and starting all over. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 25, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
brickeyee

The gap should be even.

Either the ring is bad, there is debris between the ring and scope, a shim is wrong, or even the bell of the scope for the turret is not even around the scope.
Old November 25, 2010, 05:20 PM   #5
hooligan1

What the?? What's the extra looking piece under the ring in the second pic?, I have some burris rings and they don't seem to have that many parts. Hell send them back and get Leupold rings and explain to them why.
Old November 26, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6
guncrank

No that's not right.
As already stated loosen up ring and push insert back under ring half.
If it moves again then you have a bad ring half.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old November 26, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7
hoghunting

I'm willing to bet the replacement ring will fit exactly like that. It appears the front of your base is lower that the rear - by the angle of the lower half of the front ring. I agree with the Burris rep that the rings are doing exactly as they are supposed to do. If you use a different type of ring, you will need to shim the front of the base in order to keep the reticule centered in the objective lens.
Old November 28, 2010, 10:12 PM   #8
guf

burris signature ring

tpcollins: there's nothing wrong with the ring. the upper ring is not aligned with the insert.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:32 AM   #9
publius

The ring appears to have been tightened with the insert not directly under the top half. Take it apart and try again. P.S., I really like the rings, they do a great job of correcting minor mounting problems and manufacturing variances.
Old December 1, 2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Win_94

It looks as if the screw head is angled, or the screw is cross threaded or the ring hole is angled where the screw head rests.

The inserts promote even contact, so I would bet there is no binding from the angled ring on the scope.

The ring isn't as "intended" though.
Old December 1, 2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Horseman

I'd take the top off and try again. Rotate the insert around to make sure it's free fitting in the bottom half before reinstalling the top. Be carefull to keep the insert centered under the top as you tighten and I think it'll go back straight.