The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Colt vs BCM
Colt 33 51.56%
BCM 31 48.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2015, 01:42 AM   #1
DoctorDeath

Colt vs BCM

If you could only have one AR, which company would you go with if price isn't a factor?
Old November 12, 2015, 04:18 AM   #2
Xfire68

There are so many great AR companies these days.Your list is too short.

Either one of those is a fine choice. I like the option of building my own.
Old November 12, 2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Model12Win

It has to have the Pony

Colt.

There can be only one. If it isn't a Colt, it is an imitation. If it doesn't wear the Pony, it's not worth you time. Same for M1911s.
Old November 12, 2015, 01:01 PM   #4
stagpanther

My favorite is the one that goes "bang" when you pull the trigger.
Old November 12, 2015, 02:00 PM   #5
DoctorDeath

I'm sure I'll rustle some feathers with this, but... I was planning on buying a Colt but I keep hearing about quality control issues. Most of them are cosmetic, but I'm with the "if I'm spending $1,000+ I want it to look nice also" group.
Old November 12, 2015, 02:38 PM   #6
WVsig

I would not get either of these. I have a Colt 6920LE "Law Enforcement Carbine" which i picked up around 2006-2007. It is a great rifle. I put a rail on it changed out the stock, grip and the rear sight. It has had many different scopes on it at one time or another. Eotech, ACOG, Tri-power & now a Aim Point Pro all of which had their strengths and weakness. I would not trade it but if I was buying today I would not get a Colt 9620. If I was going to buy an inexpensive AR15, under $1000, There are so many good rifles it is almost impossible to pick a bad one. Colt 6920 current model should be a $850 OTD IMHO. You can get the naked one for about $700.

There are rifles with better setups right out of the box these days. If I were going to buy a Colt I would but a naked Colt and put what I want on it. If money is not an issue I would get a LWRC. Piston driven with a 14.5, with pinned flash hider, or 16" barrel to stay under SBR regs. It is a better rifle in just about every aspect. IHMO You can get them for about $1700. Almost double the Colt but a better gun if you are only going to own one.

Old November 12, 2015, 02:44 PM   #7
DoctorDeath

Well, money is an issue lol. I just said that because I want people to choose between them based on quality, not on price. What is the best AR that I can get for around $1,000? I don't mind buying uppers and lowers, but I don't want to assemble anything.
Old November 12, 2015, 02:49 PM   #8
rickyrick

I'd like to add a "build your own" write in vote as well.
Old November 12, 2015, 02:51 PM   #9
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDeath
Well, money is an issue lol. I just said that because I want people to choose between them based on quality, not on price. What is the best AR that I can get for around $1,000? I don't mind buying uppers and lowers, but I don't want to assemble anything.
Answering a few questions might help us help you.

-What are you going to do with the rifle? Just plinking? 3 gun? Home defense?

-Also what ranges are you going to be shooting it at? under 100 yards. 100- 300 yards?

-Do you enjoy cleaning your guns. DI will run much dirtier than a piston.

-Do you want a classic look or do you want a tricked out tactical cool look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
I'd like to add a "build your own" write in vote as well.
OP does not want to build a rifle.
Old November 12, 2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Quentin2

I'm in the build your own, exactly to your specs, camp. But either Colt or BCM would be excellent choices for a complete factory AR. If limited to just the two poll choices I'd go with BCM.

Still, I'd love to have a Colt M4 lower with a BCM 16" midlength upper!
Old November 12, 2015, 03:23 PM   #11
chadio

... vs. Noveske vs. LaRue vs. LMT vs. RRA...

Colt is absolutely not the only rifle manufacturer who builds a great fighting and recreational rifle ... it's the Harley Davidson mentality, and I'm thankful that I don't have it. There is nothing wrong with a Colt, it's the attitude that is defective
Old November 12, 2015, 03:31 PM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
... vs. Noveske vs. LaRue vs. LMT vs. RRA...
Great names an great rifles but not going to get OTD under or even at $1000.
Old November 12, 2015, 03:33 PM   #13
DoctorDeath

@WVsig - I want it to be a multi purpose rifle. Unfortunately I don't have thousands laying around that I can buy 2 or 3 nice ARs with, so this will be my one and only. I don't care how it looks. As far as DI vs piston, I want DI. I don't mind it being dirty, and that's the way that Stoner made them. The pistons are probably pretty cool, but that's just my preference.
Old November 12, 2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Eazyeach

I must abstain from voting. I have a colt m4 and a BCM middie upper on a S&W lower. Got about $900 in each setup. No complaints about either. You literally can't go wrong. As to the Colt quality issues, fuhgetaboutit!! I've never had any problems with any pony I've ever owned.
Old November 12, 2015, 05:37 PM   #15
WVsig

At the sub $1000 range for an all around rifle between the BCM and the Colt it is a toss up. 99% probability you are going to get a great rifle.

It comes down to configuration. Which one do you like better. Look at what is attached to the rifle from each company and pick the one which has the accessories you like best.

Also don't forget about budgeting for a nice optic.
Old November 12, 2015, 05:38 PM   #16
rickyrick

Quote:
OP does not want to build a rifle
Yes, unfortunately I wrote that when the post first appeared, then I had my electronics freeze, and the post didn't show up until quite sometime later... I saw that the OP didn't want to build but it was too late.

I did vote BCM

Assembling a rifle is incredibly easy and fun... As long as shipping don't get you over budget.
If I had a choice I'd go BCM
Old November 12, 2015, 06:07 PM   #17
turtlehead

BCM all day long.
Old November 12, 2015, 07:12 PM   #18
WVsig

I would also check out the LMT which can be had for $1149.

http://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-lmt...odel-std-stock

Another thing to consider is that a BCM or a LMT is going to cost you more than $850 the Colt will cost you. With the difference you could get a sight like a Aim Point or an Eotech.

OP said price does not matter but it really does. So for basically the same money as the BCM or LMT you can have the Colt with a capable sight.

I know we all want the "best" but honestly so few of us push our gear to the limit where the rifle at this price point is the failure point. If you are not kicking in doors with this rifle I think the Colt will serve you well. Even if you do I think it would serve you well and right now they are as cheap as they will ever be. IMHO YMMV

Last edited by WVsig; November 12, 2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old November 12, 2015, 07:15 PM   #19
G.barnes

Bcm with a midlength gas system. Unless your going less than a 16 inch barrel. Colt is a fine rifle but, it doesn't mean there isn't better.
Old November 12, 2015, 09:49 PM   #20
marine6680

I prefer mid gas, so I don't go for Colts... good rifles though. They do seem to come banged up cosmetically more often than other brands with their lower priced options anyway... the more expensive builds seem better in that area. So if that matters to you then inspect the rifle well before buying.

BCM makes an excellent rifle. You don't have to build a BCM ground up to save money... buy their complete lower, then order one of their complete uppers online. Two push pins later and you get a good rifle for less than a complete one would cost. You can even get a basic setup without free float and total cost would be around $1000. Free float will add $150+.

And technically, FN has access to the technical package, so they are producing true milspec stuff now too.
Old November 12, 2015, 10:03 PM   #21
WVsig

Quote:
And technically, FN has access to the technical package, so they are producing true milspec stuff now too.
The FNs are also now being sold to the commerical market. They can be had for about $850. I think the current Colt 6920 is a better setup because of the Magpul stuff that comes on the rifle.

Old November 12, 2015, 10:17 PM   #22
Xfire68

Daniel Defense, LMT, Spikes Tactical, S&W, Rock River, Del-Ton and a number of others all make good and even great quality AR's.

It comes down to budget and features you are interested in. Basic plinker's are as cheap as $650 to a high end AR running at $4500.

I picked up my S&W M&P 15 For $600 and then got a $100 rebate from S&W for being a vet. The others I built with high quality parts.
Old November 12, 2015, 10:29 PM   #23
Dirty_Harry

BCM has better options, so I would lean that direction.

It's a toss up for the most part though.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old November 13, 2015, 08:31 AM   #24
Tomas

I carried a Colt in the Marines...and it saved my bacon - if there is a better reason to buy something else I haven't heard it yet.

BCM is a jarhead owned company, and I love that. Still, I'm loyal to fault, I guess. I own a Colt.
Old November 13, 2015, 08:37 AM   #25
mxsailor803

Neither. Build your own. Configure it the way YOU want it and not what some company thinks others want.