The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
parrothead2581

Open or closed muzzle holsters?

Which do you prefer, an open or closed muzzle holster? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of each? Thanks!
Old November 23, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
hpg

All of my holsters are open bottom. The advantage may be that the open bottom does not trap lint or dust.......hpg
Old November 23, 2006, 08:02 PM   #3
parrothead2581

I suppose my concern about the open bottom is increased wear or damage to the muzzle. I do like the idea of being able to carry different barrel lengths of the same model in one holster however.
Old November 23, 2006, 08:36 PM   #4
tony pasley

Concealed carry I like open end holsters but for field holsters I like closed end to protect the muzzle.
Old November 23, 2006, 09:10 PM   #5
skeeter1

I've got a couple, and they are both closed at the muzzle end, but that's just me. I could see going either way. Whichever type works best for you, is well.. the best one to have.
Old November 23, 2006, 09:39 PM   #6
BobMcG

Open for me. they don't collect crap.
Old November 23, 2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Don H

Quote:
I suppose my concern about the open bottom is increased wear or damage to the muzzle. I do like the idea of being able to carry different barrel lengths of the same model in one holster however.
A lot of good open bottom holsters (Milt Sparks VM-2, for example) are a bit longer than the muzzle and curl in slightly to protect the muzzle. This, of course, would prevent holstering a gun with a longer barrel. One of the things to watch for when using an open holster for a longer barrel is the front sight snagging on the draw.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:59 PM   #8
COYOTE165

Open & closed bottom Holsters

I have a Holster from the 1970's that my Dad bought for his Ruger Security Six 4" Revolver. The Holster for it was made by Cobra Leather back then it is a Closed bottom holster. I make sure that there is no lint etc. collecting at the bottom of it each time that I wear it etc. I have no problem with this closed bottom Holster.? All of my newer Holsters are with Open bottoms. I do not think that there are any holster makers today that use the closed bottom style any more.? I may be wrong on this though.?
Old March 7, 2014, 05:14 PM   #9
JNad

Who are you people with no crap in your open bottom holsters? I only have open bottom, so maybe I just don't know how bad it [I]could[I] be. However, I have to tell you I constantly marvel at how much lint, etc accumulates in my carry holsters.
Old March 7, 2014, 05:17 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Holsters....

I've used both styles, on duty & off.
I'd prefer a open type. It allows air to circulate around the firearm. Open styles also allow water(rain, sweat, moisture, etc), grit, lint, dirt, etc to fall away & not scuff/damage/rust a weapon.
It's not a big deal(I don't store or keep handguns in any type holsters).
The new Safariland AS7 holsters are impressive(open type, polymer).
Old March 7, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Wyosmith

I MUCH prefer closed bottom holsters as a rule.

I own both open and closed.

The idea that closed bottom holsters "collect debris" is something I have never found to be a problem. I have been carrying a handgun most days for over 40 years now, and if I have to knock a few twigs out of my holster about 1 time every year I don't consider it a problem.

What I do see as a problem (and I have had to deal with) is sitting down in the snow, dirt or mud and packing the muzzle of my gun.
THAT'S a problem!

So, for me I ALWAYS make a closed muzzle when I make my own holsters ort order one made. I do accept open muzzle on my "town holsters". (Those that are for concealed carry when I go to town, but I only have 2 handguns that I carry only for C.C.)

All my others are as much for field use (or more) than they are for C.C.
Old March 7, 2014, 05:57 PM   #12
ironman615

I guess this is kind of sad, but I've never thought about it. I did just check my holsters, and I don't have a single closed-bottom holster. I don't think I intentionally acquired only open-bottom holsters, but they must appeal to me, because that's what I have!
Old March 7, 2014, 07:02 PM   #13
pax

An open bottom holster can allow the gun to pop out of the holster when you sit down, if you bump up against something. The classic for me is sitting in the driver's seat of a car, and bumping the seat belt latch with the muzzle of the gun. Pops it right out of the holster almost every time.

My preferred holster style is an open bottom holster that features the curl over the muzzle end. That prevents the gun from getting bumped out of the holster, but still allows debris to pass through rather than collecting in the bottom of the holster.

pax
Old March 7, 2014, 09:58 PM   #14
SHE3PDOG

Mine are closed.bottom. I don't know if there is any real merit to my logic, but it feels more secure.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 7, 2014, 10:05 PM   #15
Dragline45

For IWB I could care less, for OWB I prefer closed, especially if the open bottom holster does not extend the whole length of the pistol. When camping I have been known to sit down on large boulders and such, I would hate for the muzzle of my pistol to slam into the boulder, or even dirt for that matter.
Old March 9, 2014, 07:02 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Makes no difference to me and I have several examples of both. Never had an issue caused by either types.
Old March 9, 2014, 02:55 PM   #17
Derbel McDillet

I have some that are open and some that are closed.

If it's for CCW, OWB open muzzle, and you get knocked on your can during a confrontation or slip along a roadside ditch when you're fixing a flat tire on the side of the road - then there's a chance you can get dirt, mud and debris lodged in your muzzle.

Same thing can happen if you're carrying in the field and you somehow end up on your butt.
Old March 9, 2014, 03:56 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

closed when available. I can clean out lint, but having the gun pop out, damage to the barrel, or suddenly mud/snow packed is an issue. Maybe ive slid down too many hills while armed though.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:06 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Open muzzle style, front sight....

I could see a problem with a open muzzle holster not protecting a handgun's front sight or allowing the barrel to be damaged but I always look for holsters that offer a sight track or are engineered to offer extra protection for the sights.
To me, a well made, properly designed holster should protect the firearm from damage & provide a fast, smooth, fluid draw.
You can't be involved in high risk situations or critical incidents and need to wonder if your handgun/sidearm is safe & secure.
The same goes for hunters or any outdoor activity. Hiking, boating, biking, etc. To have a gun covered with rust or crud is not good.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:51 PM   #20
8MM Mauser

Depends on the purpose. If it is going to ride inside or outside my waistband, concealed all day, then open makes sense to not accumulate all that crud that always shows up in pockets and such.

As others have said, if I will be out hiking or hunting I carry my Ruger MKII in a closed holster. It has a ten inch barrel so Uncle Mike's or custom are my only options here, and they tend to be closed. Plus is better protects the gun when out in the mud and grime. I remember when I was out one morning hunting whitetail last fall it poured for about two hours on me and a buddy. First in our blinds, and then we ended up losing eachother in the deluge. I didn't have my pistol that day, but I felt it necessary to take my old Mauser apart and dry every nook and cranny afterwards. I hate to think of my little Ruger, my grandpa's gun originally, getting covered in mud and dirt...
Old March 11, 2014, 12:20 AM   #21
Brotherbadger

IWB: I go open. Outside I go closed.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 11, 2014, 09:13 AM   #22
Bob Wright

For my daily cary holsters, open bottom. For outdoors use, closed bottom. Sometimes an open bottom holster will allow dirt, mud, or leaves to pack into the bottom when sitting down in the woods.

Sunday thru Friday in town:

For hunting/outdoor season:

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; March 11, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 11, 2014, 09:31 AM   #23
Skadoosh

For both IWB and OWB carry, from experience I only use closed-end holsters. Closed holsters prevent muzzles from becoming damaged unnecessarily. It is also my experience that open-end holster promote rather than prevent the accumulation of crud inside of the barrel.
Old March 11, 2014, 10:14 AM   #24
shortwave

Closed for hunting and woods carry. Open for everyday cc.
Old March 12, 2014, 04:14 PM   #25
TRX

I alternate between a snubnose revolver in an "upside-down" shoulder rig and a full-size automatic in a horizontal shoulder rig.

The upside-down holster is closed, and everything stays nice and clean. I really like the upside-down setup, though it's not appropriate for most guns.

The horizontal holster is open at the muzzle end. That keeps the overall length shorter - the muzzle of the gun still prints slightly - but a truly amazing amount of "fluff" winds up inside the barrel, mostly fibers from my jacket lining, etc.