The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1
KDM

Reloading the 375 H&H

Hi, all...I'm just getting into reloading, and will be building the 375 H&H. In your opinion, what would be a good press / setup for this round? Doesn't need to be a progressive, as I won't be volume-shooting my new CZ550. Looking towards a single stage, with lots of aftermarket support, that's big enough and sturdy enough for the big ol' cartridge. Thanks for your input!
Old December 29, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Foxman

RCBS Rockchucker, or Redding big boss I have both they are both good, the big boss has a bit more room for long cases and is about 20 bucks cheaper at Midway. You will have no problem reloading the 375, use the heavier bullets, the 270gr boattail ones tend to wack you harder than the 300gr flatbases or the 235 gr practice bullets. I use Reloader 22 and have had real good results with the book loads.
I was lucky to get one of the last Winchester Safari with the pre 64 action and it is a fine rifle shoots well and has whole load of history in Africa and its American made.
Old December 29, 2006, 03:30 PM   #3
KDM

Thanks, Foxman. Generally, are presses standardized? For example, could I use RCBS dies on a Redding press? Reason I ask is, one manufacturer might make an excellent press, but really crappy dies. Interchangeability (within reason) would be nice.
Old December 29, 2006, 04:15 PM   #4
ClarkEMyers

For your purposes 7/8-14 is the universal standard.

For your purposes 7/8-14 is the universal standard. Exceptions include 50 Browning dies and some odd-balls such as Lyman Tru-Line Jr. and Dillon Square Deal B presses but those are not even remotely applicable to your needs.

On the other hand capitalism works and there's nobody out there making a great press and terrible dies.

I'd say when in doubt go Redding but RCBS has fine products and service as do many others.
Old December 29, 2006, 04:56 PM   #5
rwilson452

big single stage press

Take a look at the Lee Classic Cast. It's built to handle the 50BMG. it has an insert to handle standard size dies. The down side is do not drop it on your foot while mounting on you bench.
Old December 29, 2006, 05:12 PM   #6
tINY

The rock chucker is the gold standard for single stage presses. I don't particularly care for the spent primer handling in mine but it's tough and easy to use.

-tINY

Old December 29, 2006, 05:16 PM   #7
rwilson452

Lee classic cast

The Lee classic cast has resolved the spent primer problem.
Old December 29, 2006, 07:10 PM   #8
KDM

Thanks, guys...I'll check 'em out.
Old December 29, 2006, 08:05 PM   #9
mrawesome22

I have a Rock Chucker Supreme and it must be different from the plain jane Rock Chucker because mine has NEVER spit out a spent primer. Every one goes in the primer catcher and then you just take it off and empty it when it gets full.
Old December 31, 2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Daniel BOON

rock chucker

my dad passed away in 1992, but he couldn't take his reloading press with him, so I inherited it. he said he bought it in 1959, and I have no doubt that he did; I lost count on how many reloads I have loaded on it, and I couldn't come close to how many he loaded. its just a basic, one lung, Rock Chucker.
some where along the line, he bought a new rock chucker, and I inherited that also; but I have never set the new one up.
my dad spent many hrs in the cellar reloading and tinkering with his guns and hand loads, back then i didn't understand why, but i do now. I'm 56, and in the other room that old Rock Chucker is set up, and ready to go; when I pass, I'll give all my reload stuff, and guns, to my grandson. I have no doubt he'll pass that old press on to his kids.
Old December 31, 2006, 11:58 PM   #11
cheygriz

One easy way to be assured that you're getting top quality is to look at the box and see if it says "Redding."

Actually, RCBS and Lyman are also top of the line.

But the Redding Big Boss rocks!

It's a bit more expensive, but a reloading press is a lifetime investment, so why not get the best to start with?