The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 31, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Mach II Sailor

Need a scope for high recoil rifle

Hi all,
i have a high recoil rifle, .499LWR, i have destroyed two scopes so far, what i am wondering is can i mount a handgun scope on my AR flat top rifle ?
i see the eye relief is any where from 12 to 18 inches and more, so do i have to mount it that far forward or can it be used closer ? like 6 inches and still get a good view of target ?

i have never used a handgun scope so i have no experience with them, i was just told that the HG scope is the answer to my problem. the boss says i can spend up to $500 for the scope and mounts..........., NOW

what to get ??
Old May 31, 2007, 09:03 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

If eye relief is an issue look a the leupold scout scopes, they are Intermediate eye relief and well made. Not sure how you would mount it though.

But any good quality scope with generous eye relief will work fine on an AR.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; May 31, 2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old June 1, 2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Mach II Sailor

Mike,
eye relief is not a problem, actually it is the recoil that is destroying the scopes, i need a scope that can handle the recoil of a 105mm howitzer !! i was told to look at the Leupold Scout scopes so that is my next stop, thanks for the tip !!
Old June 1, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
SteelCore

I once spoke with the owner of a Serbu .50 BMG who told me that the recoil of his rifle had broken two rather expensive scopes (not sure which brands) rather quickly. Mark Serbu recommended that he get a Super Sniper, and that solved the problem. They're not too expensive, either:

http://www.riflescopes.com/departmen...fle_scopes.htm
Old June 2, 2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Mach II Sailor

Thanks Steelcore,

those scopes seem to be the answer, "OK for .50 cal."
Old June 2, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
i see the eye relief is any where from 12 to 18 inches and more, so do i have to mount it that far forward [YES] or can it be used closer [NO] ? like 6 inches and still get a good view of target ? [NO]
Handgun scope won't work at 6 or 8 inches. Get a scope with a good warranty like a Leupold, so if it breaks (not likely), they will definitely fix it, and quickly.

Intermediate eye relief scopes (IERs) are available. Leupold has one, and Burris has one. Both are labeled "scout" scopes. Leupold's is a fixed 2x, and Burris's is a fixed 2.75x. They WILL work for your setup, *in all likelihood*.

"Regular" or traditional eye relief scopes do come in certain varieties with longer eye relief than most. These also happen to have good warranties and will likely stand up to your gun's recoil: Zeiss Conquests, Trijicon Accupoints, and the Burris Short mags all have very long eye relief. These may or may not work for your setup - close call.

Beyond that, ANY scope that dials down to 1x, will give you a good 5-6" or more of eye relief when set on 1x.... scopes such as the Leupold VX1 1-4x20mm, or the VX2 1-4x20mm. On a budget, the Bushnell Banner line has a circle-X scope which dials down to 1.0x - it is the 1-4x32mm. (they ALSO have a 1.5-4.5x32, but the eye relief will not be as good on it). These will probably work for your setup on 1x, but notsomuch when dialed higher.

The Super Sniper is fine, IF you're ok with a fixed 10 power scope.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; June 2, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old June 2, 2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Mach II Sailor

FirstFreedom,
thank you for this info, i am not going to jump into this quickly, as you say,
"Get a scope with a good warranty", actually the longer i wait the more my "allowance" (fixed incomes can be a beech ) builds.

i will do more research..., and thanks a bunch to you all who contributed to my education
Old June 12, 2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Mach II Sailor

you would never guess what i got for Fathers day and my wedding anniversary (June 16) presents !!

Three scopes and two sets of mounts and there are still a few days till THE day !!