The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Mossberg 500 -12 gauge with 26" ported barrel

I saw a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge with a 26" ported barrel. Price is $199 so I may be interested in it. But, I wonder how effective the ported barrel is in reducing recoil...assuming that is the purpose for the porting. And, even more of a concern...does the porting make the gun too loud? I have already lost enough hearing from listening to my 70's and 80's rock music too loud. Am I better off looking for a non-ported gun?

Thanks
Old January 30, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
SRG

Recoil reduction is not the effect that porting gives. Porting simply allows the shooter to reacquire - or better yet, maintain - the target.
As far as loudness goes, it will not affect you because the decibel increase is negligible.
Old January 31, 2006, 03:11 PM   #3
exar

mossberg

I own one. Just bought it about a year ago. Well made shotgun, haven't had any trouble with it. Just be sure you know what barrel that you'll be getting. When I got mine it came with the ported barrel for any kind of flying game. This barrel is lighter and not meant for deer slugs to be fired through and can damage it. My gun also came with a variety of chokes.