The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
MMV.30

Should i buy it?

In the gun store today saw a few Garands on the rack. One caught my eye and my impulse was to buy but hesitated. I didn't have my phone so i couldn't take pictures but basically it was a dark walnut stock that was weathered but not destroyed. Barrel showed some exterior wear, receiver looked new, had a light green parkerizing to it .Serial#42xxxx. Receiver Springfield Armory. No cartouches,but stock looked like GI walnut. Didn't see markings on barrel. I wanted to go to CMP this spring and hand pick a Garand but my state (NY)has denied me this. So my question is ,should i jump on this particular rifle before i lose the chance altogether? The price was $1100
Old January 16, 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
tahunua001

if there were no cartouches then it was not an issued stock. such a rifle in the condition that you describe could be had for little over $500 at CMP. it's a PITA to buy from them but a lot cheaper in the long run.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
MMV.30

Yeah, but iwas just on the CMP forum today and they stated they are not selling to NY residents.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:41 AM   #4
MMV.30

The serial # puts it as a WW2 rifle no? With that in mind and the fact that the receiver and barrel are in excellent condition is it worth the $1100.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The antis scored a significant victory in NY with the ban on rifles holding more than 7 rounds, whether they have a detachable magazine or not. The M1, SKS, Johnson, and other rifles are now banned in that state.

Jim
Old January 19, 2013, 09:52 AM   #6
munson1

I live in NY Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats wrong with NY is the people making these laws know nothing about guns. The M1 Garand is a vintage WW2 Rifle which uses 8 round enblocs. I don't believe anyone is going to manufacture a 7 rd. enbloc in the near future. The governor & his buddies didn't think to much before this got signed into law. I'll be 66 in feb. & don't much give a damm what they think. I worked my whole life and am now disabled after bringing up 2 fine sons.

munson1
ken munger
nazi run ny state
Old January 20, 2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Orlando

Stock can be USGI and have no cartouches. They are worn/sanded off over the years as they went through rebuilds etc
Unless its a collector rifle the price is way to high, I would pass

Nothing is written in stone yet for NY. CMP has suspended sales to NY until it is settled
Old January 21, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8
zbones6

I would have to move out of NY. But living in NJ isnt much better
Old January 21, 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
munson1

NY Gun Site!!!!!

Just read all the new bans our Governor signed into law. They even have a phone hot-line where you can call & talk to a NY State Trooper if you have ?????. How nice. Time to move to Texas!!!!!!!!!!!! NY is old news.

Nazi Run NY.
Ken
Old January 22, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
MMV.30

From what i've read on the SAFE ACT website ANY rifle that has any capacity to hold over 7 rounds in a magazine or clip AND has one "military feature" such as pistol grip,bayonet lug or threaded barrel end are banned in NY state. You cannot buy them from a store or private citizen. If you already own such a rifle you must either sell it out of state or register it with the state police for free. But they will be charging a fee for that soon enough. My assumption is a Garand could be legal in NY with a 7 round enbloc and a (hate to say it) grinded off bayonet mount.