The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 19, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Echo scope rings on Mauser

I posted a pic of my Belgium K98 and have decided that it needs some freshening up. I dont want to do a re blueing as the original is in 90% or better condition. I do want to put a decent scope on it. Problem is the current mount is a ECHO by E.G. Herkner Co, Boise Idaho. It is a side mount and very solid with 1" rings. The problem is that the rings are only split on 1 side and do not allow me to remove the old scope (weaver 2-1/2-5 that is cloudy and fogs) to install a new scope. I have a very well equipped CNC machine shop and have considered modifying or making my own mount to match the current holes in the receiver. But I dont have a need to reinvent the wheel. Has anyone found a replacement of these rings or have any options?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 19, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
BoogieMan

Took the mauser and mount to one of the LGS today. What a Dick. The owner tried to tell me that no one shoots a mauser anymore because they are so outdated. He said shoot it with irons or leave it in the safe. Thats the last time I go in there. He is a Tier 1 Browning dealer and pretty much tells everyone if its not a Browning than it sucks. Shame for him because I have bought a couple guns from there over the years (BPS and a Maxis shotgun), he wont get another dime from me.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 19, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3
tahunua001

I have a shop like that, he is the only shop in my town of 1100 and I don't normally like to make the 15 mile commute to "town" to look at gun stuff and he's right around the corner but between the 3 generations behind the counter, he is a jerk that could tell you that you are the sexiest man alive and have it sound like an insult, his son is exactly as you described, wears a springfield shirt every time I go in yet he does nothing but push GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK and every inquiry I've made with him requires a a snort and a chuckle before his condescending response. the grandson isn't in there that often but is a little easier to deal with except he doesn't really read up on a lot so he doesn't have that much knowledge about what's behind the counter. I think I'm about done going to them unless it's for little stuff like bore brushes and ear plugs and the like.

a few of those rings are like that, kindof tricky and operate in a fashion other than what seems physically possible, a lot of savages had that same style mount. I will tell you though that they had to get the scope in it some way so it also has to come out that same way.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Does it look like this set? You actually have to pry the rings open to get these exchanged, it's not like they build the scope into the base. Problem is if you do it too often you get work hardening and fatigue cracks. But once every 50 years is probably not going to hurt. Alternatively, you can probably find someone who can clean and reseal your Weaver is it's mechanically and optically in good shape.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:35 AM   #5
BoogieMan

That was the mount. I broke one of the rings by trying to open it. Mine is anodized alum and split right away. I ordered a new side mount from midway. Im hoping to be able to clear a modern redfield on the rifle. Then I can tell how it realy shoots
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown