The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 19, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Punisher_1

CMP Special Garand

I just ordered a CMP "Special" Garand in .30-06. This has the new criterion barrel and a new stock set. Has anyone bought one of these and if so how well do they shoot with that barrel? I want to shoot some Garand matches so I bought this for that purpose. I have two other Garands, a 43 and 44 with some wear and tear, but I didn't want to replace the barrels on the older ones for fear of ruining some sort of value.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:46 AM   #2
HiBC

I received the same rifle about a month ago.Weather has not been real good lately.Might shoot it tomorrow.

My suspicion:A Criterion barrel is probably at least as good as a new original It is a subdiidiary of Kreiger,and,while its not a Kreiger,I suppose they know how to make a barrel.At least,as a new barrel,you do not have to wonder what the segmented steel cleaning rod and muzzle cleaning have done.

I'm not a Garand expert,you have two,I just got one.I suspect the stock straightness and stability,the finer points of fitting,the trigger group clamp up,etc are going to have more influence on final accuracy than a fancier barrel'

In any case,its not a benchrest gun.It will be a good day if I get to be skilled enough at position shooting that I believe the accuracy of my rifle is a limiting factor.I'll worry about it then!
Old January 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Orlando

Rifle will shoot as good as the guy is pulling the trigger
Old January 20, 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

You'll need to send a lot of rounds down range before you are out shooting your new Garand. CMP smiths do a very good job on these.

I have a Kreiger barreled match Garand from the Garand Guy and it out shoots me with ease.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
springer99

The CMP specials are IMO a great choice to start with when planning to play in the Garand matches. Having a new barrel and a new, tight fitting stock will be a great start, and I doubt that you'll have any problems being competitive in the typical 100-200yd NRA HighPower matches. You may want to replace the sights with NM style front and rear, but that's about all.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Romeo 33 Delta

Got one a couple years ago and absolutely love it. You will NOT be disappointed.