The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Dragline45

I looked at and shot both and ended up with the SR9C. Trigger was alot better and it fit my hand better. By the way anyone looking at the SR9C dry fire it with the mag in or you wont get the true trigger pull.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:48 PM   #27
9mm

LEO are using M&P's over Ruger's. Enough said!
Old September 10, 2012, 07:56 PM   #28
BryanP

I suspect that has more to do with S&W offering heavily discounted pricing to LE than anything.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:06 PM   #29
blackamos

just get a Glock
Old September 10, 2012, 08:47 PM   #30
YARDDOG(1)

Had a M&P 9c before Ruger came out with the 9c ; )
Y/D
Old September 10, 2012, 08:56 PM   #31
peacefulgary

I had an M&P....it's now gone.

I bought an SR9c....my wife liked it so much that she took it for herself.
So I bought another one!

She has the polished steel one and I have the black coated one.

Old September 10, 2012, 09:40 PM   #32
RBid

9mm,

Ruger hasn't offered to exchange department Glocks for new SR9s, in pursuit of LE contracts. Smith & Wesson has shopped the M&P very heavily, and taken short term losses to get those contracts. Manufacturers who opt to do so compete for business. LEOs aren't voting for favorites.

'nuff said' only works when the statement tells the whole story.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #33
K_Mac

Well said RBid.

I think the S&W MP9c is a fine pistol. When shopping for a 9mm compact it was at the top of my list until I shot the Ruger. I came to the same conclusion that you and many others have: Ruger has chosen not to compete in the LE market. They don't have to with this pistol. Selling them has not been a problem.

My SR9c has performed flawlessly with a wide variety of ammo. I paid less than $400 NIB for it when I bought it. I could not care less that LE has not embraced it as they have the M&P; that has far more to do with marketing than performance IMO.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:57 PM   #34
Fishbed77

Quote:
LEO are using M&P's over Ruger's. Enough said!
That doesn't mean anything.

A large percentage of law enforcement agencies use Glocks as well, but there are plenty of polymer designs that have long since surpassed the Glock in almost every respect (M&P pistols, Walther P99/PPQ, XDm, and any number of CZs and H&Ks spring immediately to mind).

However, Glock markets their pistol heavily and effectively to LE agencies, offers them insanely low unit prices, and very desirable service contracts. S&W has recently began to mimic Glock's success in the market, largely by taking short-term losses (for example by offering to exchange Glocks for new M&Ps).

My guess is that Ruger doesn't even try to market to LE agencies (or the military) because they don't have to.

As of April of this year, Ruger stock was up a whopping 571% from November of 2007 while the S&P 500 was down 3%. And they did this without any significant military or law enforcement contracts.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:20 AM   #35
RBid

Fishbed is correct.

To my knowledge, the only Ruger that is in service use with any regularity is the Mini 14, which some LE groups use.

They make a ridiculous amount of money in the civilian market, with:

LCP, LC9, SR9c, Mini 14, LCR, SP101, Blackhawk, Vaquero, Mark II, and Mark III all performing well-- among others.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:29 AM   #36
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid View Post
Fishbed is correct.

To my knowledge, the only Ruger that is in service use with any regularity is the Mini 14, which some LE groups use.

They make a ridiculous amount of money in the civilian market, with:

LCP, LC9, SR9c, Mini 14, LCR, SP101, Blackhawk, Vaquero, Mark II, and Mark III all performing well-- among others.
To further support Fishbed's point and Ruger's quality, they actually are used a good bit by LEOs in an unofficial capacity. My brother's department issues Glock G22s with G27 backups, but apparently just about every officer has a Ruger LCP or LCR tucked somewhere too,
Old September 11, 2012, 09:53 PM   #37
Sgt.Fathead

When my I researched and shopped for our daily concealed carry pistols, I knew I wanted compact 9mm models, same make and model, for both my wife and I. We would be able to already know the controls and ergonomics of each others carry guns, have a pool of mags, same holsters (potentially), etc. Our top three choices from the research to the range (rental of various models and extensive testing) narrowed it to three; the S&W M&P9C, the Ruger SR9C and the Glock 19.

My wife never liked my Glock 23 and the 19 was included because I well know the utility of the design. I am, in truth, no great fan of the Glock for me as I have never shot one well. In the final summation, she felt more comfortable with the Ruger and so we have matching his and hers, with an additional (2) 17 round mags each, and couldn't be happier.

I like the M&P a lot but the Ruger is a great value, is backed by the legendary Ruger customer service department whom I have had successful personal dealings with, is accurate, durable, reliable, and dependable. Ours have thousands of rounds through them with a variety of factory ammunition with no failures of any kind. I carry mine IWB in a White Dog Purebred model with the optional sweat guard and J hooks and it is very comfortable, has great retention and is easy to draw and reholster.

Yes, Ruger is rare on a LEO gun belt but as others have said, that means little.

Good luck!
Old September 24, 2012, 03:35 PM   #38
Yacobid

In the same boat

I'm in a similar spot looking to purchase my first handgun. I've narrowed it down the the m&p 9c, ruger sr9c, or the Walther ppq. I will be using it mostly for range, hd, and occasionally cc.

Curious on where u guys would put the ppq. I saw rbid owned one
Old September 24, 2012, 03:50 PM   #39
LockedBreech

The PPQ probably has the best trigger on a striker-fired polymer pistol to date, but it's in a different size envelope than the other two. PPQ is a service-sized semi, while both the SR9c and M&P9c are compact models.

A PPQc would sell like hotcakes, I think.

For range and HD, all would be suitable with the PPQ getting the overall edge. Factoring in occasional CCW, I'd remove the PPQ from the running.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:46 PM   #40
TheSmilingSwordsman

Do you like the trigger on the m&p or sr9c better?
Old September 25, 2012, 10:22 AM   #41
RBid

I prefer the trigger on the SR9c, which contributed to my choice to buy one. The M&P9c is slightly more compact, and has arguably better ergonomics (which is saying a lot-- I love how the SR9c fits even my big hands). The SR9c's trigger is smoother, and the break is affirmative, without being too stiff. After 700 rounds or so, it was even more smooth. At 1,100+, it is truly great.

In my opinion, these two pistols are among the best options for concealed carry. Add in the XDm 3.8", and the Glock 26, and you have a group that are easily concealed, without sacrificing performance.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:32 AM   #42
cetanner

Before I bought my handgun for CC I spent considerable tiem at the local range firing a number of pistols. I fired the Glock 26, SA XDM and XDM9C, M@P9C and Ruger SR9C. After firng many rounds I purchased the SR9C and use it for CC. It felt great in my hand, had a great rigger and was very accurate. It is easy to CC. I have fired over 1500 rounds without a single problem. My second choice was the XDM9C.

I also own a PPQ9. Fantastic gun in many ways but I found it a little too large for CC.
Old October 5, 2012, 10:17 PM   #43
Meditator

Ruger Sr9c

Another vote for Ruger SR9C. As mentioned before, it feels really nice in (my) hands, accurate also. My 1st one was Stainless finish, now I have blue finish also, along w/ a full size SR9- and I don't even like hand gun that much.
Old October 5, 2012, 10:37 PM   #44
treg

I recently got an SR40c and the trigger played a large role in the decision vs. the M&P, as well as the thumb safety.

Just installed the Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector and it's even sweeter!
Old October 6, 2012, 12:44 AM   #45
David White

Similar story here. I bought the SR40 over the M&P40 due to trigger (sweet!) how it fit my hand, 1911 style safety and adjustable sights!
I refuse to pay the extra 150/175 dollars just have the M&P which does NOTHING that my SR40 doesn't do, not to mention the crappy trigger!
Old December 6, 2012, 07:40 AM   #46
cluznar

M&P9c vs Ruger SR9c

I bought the Ruger SR9c and I'm happy with it. Great trigger, shoots well, is dependable (650 rounds flawless). It is just one excellent gun which is made right for CCW. You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

That being said, I have shot the MP9c and it to is a good gun. But I like the Ruger better. Both good American made guns, can't lose with either.

Old December 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #47
Fishbed77

Quote:
The PPQ probably has the best trigger on a striker-fired polymer pistol to date, but it's in a different size envelope than the other two. PPQ is a service-sized semi, while both the SR9c and M&P9c are compact models.

A PPQc would sell like hotcakes, I think.
The Walther P99AS actually has a better-feeling trigger than the PPQ (the AS trigger is ever so slightly lighter and crisper than the PPQ trigger, with the same incredible reset), and it is available in a compact size - the P99c AS. It's about the same size as a Glock 26, and can take full-size P99/PPQ mags.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:51 PM   #48
David White

I only wish Ruger would fix or remove that damn loaded chamber indicator!
The thing is huge!!! That's why the sights are so tall... To see over the CLI!
I am sorry to say that I have defected to the M&P .40
I could not get over the huge Chamber loaded indicator and tall sights. Plus my trigger was only improved by removing the magazine disconnect. A pain in the azz thing to have to do to get a better trigger.
My M&P 40 has a sweet trigger and has been a tack driver as well. I bought one with the manual safety as well.
I am now happy with my choice of gun.
If Ruger ever gets rid of the HUGE chamber loaded indicator, I might go back but until then its Smith and Wesson for me!
Old December 10, 2012, 10:49 PM   #49
The_Meteorologist

I have had both, and I traded my SR9c for the M&P9c (I started a different thread about it). In the end, I just liked the feel and ergonomics of the M&P9c better than the Ruger SR9c. Both shoot great, and the trigger on the SR9c is better, but the ergonomics, lack of a mag disconnect/thumb safety on the M&P, and the protruding loaded chamber indicator on the SR9c are why I went with the M&P9c. I also like the flush fitting 12 rd mags on the M&P9c better than the 10 in the SR9c. While the SR9c does have a 17 round mag with extender, I don't see a reason (for my uses) to have that feature...which effectively turns a compact, short barrel gun into a full size handgun. And FWIW, the M&P9c just feels like a higher quality pistol than the Ruger SR9c. Not sure what it is, but it both looks better and feels better in the hand.

That said, the SR9c certainly has features that may be important to some. Personally I don't believe either gun is superior to the other; it is going to come down to personal preference.

In response to the large loaded chamber indicator, I have read some people have solved that "issue" by simply filing it down to a more reasonable level. Whatever works, I guess.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:37 PM   #50
David White

Some people have also removed the loaded indicator but are left with an inch long opening on the slide which allows dirt and debris into the weapon.
I just have to agree, the S&W just feels like a better quality gun. The changeable palm swells really make a difference in how the weapon feels in the hand. A feature I like also.
There is still a chamber loaded indicator on the M&P although somewhat less useful than the Rugers. I like having that feature as well as the ambi safety lever ala the 1911 style. It also has ambidextrous slide release levers.
Good, Novak low profile sights and aggressive "fish scale" serrations(?) for a positive feel while drawing the slide back.